Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Walk in shower cost
T S
January 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi, I'd like to get feedback on a high-end walk-in shower cost estimate. I live in Silicon Valley (and I assume it's expensive to get things done here). Currently I have a shower/tub combo. I'm looking to replace it with a "Euro-shower" (frameless), similar to the one in this link: OH Custom 4 but minus the extra fixtures (I'm just selecting a basic out of wall shower head, no rain shower, handheld or extra spouts)

My contractor quoted me as follows, is this reasonable?

-Master shower remove tub and provide build in shower including water proofing / shower pan $8,600.00 owner to provide tile. Includes installation of new shower drain.
-Install one shower niche $250.00, one bench $250.00, epoxy grout $350.00
-Install new shower rough in valve including trim and shower head $365.00 owner to provide rough in valve and trim.
-Install baseboard tile $375.00 owner to provide tile.
-Remove and install new shower door enclosure finish to be brushed nickel $1,550.00

In total I'm looking at about $11,740 before providing my tile and rough in valve. I know this guy does quality work and I don't want to have a budget basement job that looks the part, but I do want a fair estimate. Is this off the mark or reasonable?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
Considering you are in California and that most contractors wouldn't even attempt to do a job like this without redoing at least the floor, which would entail redoing the vanity and pulling the toilet, I think the price is fine with one caveat. The shower door and installation actually seems a little low. Around here the door in your picture would cost more like $2200 installed and I would have thought we would be less expensive than California prices. Your contractor may just have a great supplier for custom shower doors, but I'd be sure to check on what the shower door is exactly. Make sure that the "waterproofing" means installing Hardibacker board walls and ceiling and that the shower pan is a custom made tiled shower pan and not a plastic or prefab shower pan.

By the way, your picture shows a side glass panel that is only attached to the floor and the wall and not the ceiling. The hinges for the shower door are attached to the glass wall, Over time the opening and closing of the door will create a problem with the panel. This is a long term common problem with custom glass door installations. If the panel reached the ceiling or a 12" high enclosing wall above, the whole installation would be more stable, and more durable over time.
January 9, 2013 at 3:47am   
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
The last time we did just a shower tear out and replacement, vs a full bath remodel, the cost ended up being about $10k and that was 3-4 years ago and not in an inflated market such as Silicone Valley. The shower however was pretty large. I think the price is reasonable for quality work.
January 9, 2013 at 4:28am   
olldroo
Waterproofing here is a thick gooey product that is painted on (2 coats) and can be put onto existing flooring and walls. Bathrooms are not allowed to be built or renovated without it. It would be interesting to know what your contractor plans for the rest of the room and can you match tiles or do you have a contrast in mind. As Main Line suggests it would be difficult not to do the entire floor. Our new bathrooms have the shower floor slightly below the rest of the floor but the frame of the screen sits in the lower area and hides it. Even doing this would still be no guarantee that existing tiles would not be damaged.

Why would you not get 3 quotes for proper comparison? I found by getting more than one quote I also got ideas from the builders and was also able to compare their reasoning behind how they were doing the work to appease my mind that they weren't doing unnecessary work or omitting vital work.
January 9, 2013 at 4:58am   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.