Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Pinterest Advice
Stone & Land, LLC
January 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Do you use Pinterest? I feel like a knucklehead because I used to only use LinkedIn, because I’m a “professional” and it was low maintenance. I usually get slower in the winter and just recently joined Facebook and now Houzz. I’ve just heard some things about it and have a chance to earn a little money helping an architect download images from her Pinterest into a Dropbox file. It’s about 2000 images and I don’t know how easy it would be, what to charge.

We’d also have to come up with a file name strategy, which is sometimes difficult with images. Take for instance the attached picture. You might like the patio or outdoor bar, I might just like it as an example of a landscape concept or Sketchup. Sorry for the long explanation. I just wanted some opinions before I dive in and get over my head on the architect’s project, or get addicted to another image website like I have with Houzz. Thanks
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
When I uploaded this image I see Houzz named it home-design.jpg Is that similar to how it'd work on Pinterest if I were to copy and save or download their images?
January 9, 2013 at 6:40AM   
apennameandthata
You might like to come up with a list of tags and use all the applicable tags in the file name. That way, when you search for a tag, all the relevant files will come up. For example, the picture above could be called "External BBQ patio sketchup landscape stone hardiplank brick chair shrub lawn tree green" Or you could just call it "External BBQ patio sketchup landscape". All BBQs and patios will be outside, but unless you use the outside specifier you will not be able to search for all the outdoor specifiers. You could use the specifiers that Houzz uses, for example, "living" or "family". You could think of categories of specifiers and ask the architect for specifiers. The specifiers do not have to be in any particular order. As for charging, well the more time you spend with the tags the longer and more expensive it will be. You will need to note all the tags you use and it should be ok to add some as you go along. Use all that apply to each picture even if they are redundant. If you do this, you will not even need to save them in different folders.

P.S. Whatever Pinterest is?

P.P.S. Charge by the hour and subcontract someone in India to do it and then just check their work. Or not. I forget the name of the site you use to find people to do that work.
January 9, 2013 at 6:52AM     
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
Cool thanks @apenanandthata I also made this question a Hozz poll. I'm a novice exploring new ways to exploit social media ;)
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/297196/Pinterest-Advice
January 9, 2013 at 7:02AM   
Leslie Kreger
I use Pinterest regularly. It is just like compiling an 'ideabook' but you can "pin" any images you want from all over the web (and the images link back to the original source). I have a board called "home ideas" where I pin images from houzz as well as images from other home decorating websites, blogs, retail sites, etc. It was an invaluable tool for me when I was planning a major house remodel as I could collect and compare light fixtures, tile, etc from everywhere online all in one place as well as collect inspiration shots.
I have other Pinterest boards where I collect recipes, craft ideas for the kids, etc. etc. You can name and categorize your boards anyway you want and tailor them to your own interest.
January 9, 2013 at 7:10AM   
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
Thanks Ms Kreger. BTW I had already sent the bid last night, probably way too cheap. I’m using TaskRabbit.com to find odd jobs. So I’ve technically already jumped into the pool without even looking as it pertains to Pinterest. If the architect accepts I’ll have to learn fast. I think you've given me an idea of how to "borrow" an image from Houzz. Might be a little time consuming but Houzz has such great stuff. i'd like to be able to show what I'm thinking about quickly from me to a client and Houzz is still a little cumbersome.
January 9, 2013 at 7:52AM   
Nancy Hehmann
Did you know that photography is all copyrighted. You can google that. So to use someones image professionally you have to have their permission or purchase it.
January 9, 2013 at 7:57AM     
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
Thanks Carolina Photo. Your projects / photographs look great. I know it might be a touchy subject, but I have images on my below average website that are basically there for the taking. I guess if you don't want mass exposure, don't put stuff on the internet. Are you using this site to generate some interest in your business? Should I go after people who "borrow" my stuff? Open source free exchange of ideas or closed source? I wouldn't want to deprive you of your control, but its probably already happening. I've heard Firefox browser lets you download all sorts of protected images. I'm not that tech savvy.
January 9, 2013 at 8:55AM   
Nancy Hehmann
Thanks for the compliment. I never upload images at a very high pixel level and I watermark them. But again all images are copyrighted.
January 9, 2013 at 11:01AM     
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
That makes sense Carolina Photo. I also made this into a poll. Not too many people have voted yet (2 to be exact). I might have to put down the Houzz crack pipe and chill out. Have a good evening.
January 9, 2013 at 5:23PM