Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Single sink for kitchen
erintom
January 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are replacing the lower cabinets to make room for a dishwasher (below the counter to the far right of the sink). I would like to increase useable counterspace. The laminate is still available but I would consider a different countertop. We like the traditional look.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Is the dishwasher going to the left of the sink or on the return counter (you state to the far right)? I would not recommend placing the dishwasher on the return counter because you will not be able to access the sink when the door is down.
When the cabinets go, you may find that you can not salvage the countertops, which means your options are wide open. For an area of this size, consider going to local countertop fabricator and see what they have in the remnants yard to find a nice countertop at an affordable price. You could also consider going to your local Habitat Restore to find some base cabinets. To increase counter space, you could considering hinging a section of countertop on either end of the current L that lifts and locks into place during meal prep and then folds down for the remainder of the time.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 8:41AM
erintom
Thank you for your thoughts. This is all new to me.
The dw will go into the space right under the wine bottle and we wont' salvage anything. The laminate (which matches the rest of the counters) is still available. New countertops and storage will be higher and deeper to accommodate the dish washer. There is a radiator and big window next to the area for the dish washer and we don't plan to eliminate them.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 9:19AM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
If you like a traditional look, consider raised panel cabinets. Search here on Houzz for "traditional style kitchens" for inspiration.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 9:24AM