Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with Dining Room/Snug which is awkward shape
sandrasal
January 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi, We've recently bought an Arts & Crafts house in Surrey, England built as a stables in 1910 but converted to a lodge in 1950. We have a room which is off the hall and kitchen and study (3 doors) which we're using as a dining room but want to make a snug/dining/family area. We are up for a total makeover losing all the current furniture. We'd be most grateful for any help you can give as we have no idea! Many thanks.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandrasal
Snug room dimensions and house picture
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 9:26AM
eikuy
Hi, I bought a house in the New Forest. I pulled down the wall to the kitchen, where of course there was a fireplace, which again meant that the whole chimney stack had to come down. However I am delighted with the result. as I now have a kitchen dinner which is large and comfortable - and double aspect. U will however need the planners consent for safety ect. but it has really been worth it. Good
luck on what ever u decide.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 9:42AM
decoenthusiaste
My first thought is a dining nook in the bay, but the rad interferes with that idea. Consider mounting TV above the FP. Might want to beef up the mantel for insulation purposes. Then put a comfy small sofa in the bay with a floor lamp at the right arm of it. I'd use a small table, lamp and armchair angled between the bay and the other window. Use the larger end of the room for dining. Build a banquette that fits into the corner between the two doors, add a table and one or two additional chairs. Would cover the cornices with colorful patterned fabric. Underneath use woven roman blinds instead of curtains. Light fixture in the bay is awkward. Might want to install a recessed pot light there. The new LED ones are pricey but are good and last well. New fixtures for the sconces too. Can you put a light in the corner for the dining area? Flooring looks like cork and that would be a good choice.
Joni Spear Interior Design
Adrienne Neff Design Services LLC
Woodmeister Master Builders - WestWind
El Dorado
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 9:43AM
sandrasal
Thank you - love both your comments and lots of ideas we hadn't thought about. :)
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 11:03AM
Jane Walker
Gorgeous place - if I were so lucky, I wouldn't do a thing to it!
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 11:13AM
lefty47
HI -- Lucky you , Love your place. This is a perfect area to have a builtin sofa style bench. See if you can replace the old rad with a baseboard low heating unit that would be under the sofa/bench. Then you could have an oval table with 2 or three chairs . You would also have to reposition the lighting fixture .
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 11:41AM