Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint color mistake???
amydan96
January 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I recently had our family room and kitchen re-painted. It is BM Dry Sage, an olive shade of green. Then we re-did the kitchen backsplash and fireplace surround using a mosaic tile that has gold, browns, white, and dark grayish/black colors. Something seems off to me now and I'm wondering if I should have chosen a paint color for my family room & kitchen in a mocha brown or some light shade of brown to blend in with the new tiles better. I also want to re-do the window treatments with possibly some natural woven shades which are also light brown in color. Any ideas or suggestions before I drive my husband crazy with re-painting again?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Paint should generally be the last item you select. My vote would be to repaint. I would however select some colors and paint large test boards and move them around between your kitchen and family room before making a final decision on the color. Test boards are cheap in comparison to the cost of repainting.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 9:46AM
lefty47
HI -- Please don't get trapped into the" everything is brown look". Select some other colors in sample cards or paint pots and try the colors out and see what looks better for you . You have to see the colors at differant times of day etc. Try going more into the blues and blue/greys . Blue goes with brown tones very well . Creams and whites and off whites would work also. Most paint brands have samples and Benjamin Moore paints has the color cards . You could also go into the oranges and rust colors and that would bring some much needed color to the room or these colors can be for accents. I am not a fan of the valances - blinds and drapes would be better.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 10:23AM
leannfrank
I actually love the colors here. For window treatments, I would do long panels in the same color as the walls (more the green side). You have some really tall windows that would make them stand out. I'd get some accent pillows and a throw in a lighter shade of green for the living room. Maybe in the kitchen you do a green table runner and then get add a red bouquet of flowers on the table to changes things up.
3 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 10:40AM
Nancy Hehmann
Supposedly, you can upload photos to Valspar website and change the colors. Valspar is the paint sold at Lowes. Then you could see the results before you purchase. That might be a great idea before all the trouble of repainting.

I think it would be great to have a more substantial wooden mantel with surround for contrast. Just a thought! Mantel just looks a little small but I realize all this remodeling stuff can cost a ton.
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 10:45AM
creeser
I like your paint color. Before driving hubby crazy, see if changing out your window treatments makes you like the space better. Do you like drapes? To me they would add more to the room than only shades. If you decide to try that, maybe use one with a bold print in gray.
[houzz=Family Room][houzz=The Sandberg Home]
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 10:45AM
iambicgirl
The granite in your kitchen is dark (black?), and your chairs are also very dark. I think a simple solution would be to replace the cornices/valances of windows in the same dark color--it's difficult to determine if it is black or dark brown, or maybe even a deep green. You could also add some dark knobs to the doors above the fireplace. I don't think the paint color is the problem--you just need to find a dark accent color that brings everything together.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 10:59AM
amydan96
I appreciate all the ideas! My kitchen granite is Verde Butterfly which is a dark green that looks black from a distance.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 12:14PM