Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with tall windows
fsuballou
January 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just moved into this house & we're not sure what to do with the family room. Our style is casual/traditional. We have kids, so we like to keep the decor uncluttered. The furniture pictured here is old & we are up for a total change. Our major dilemma is the windows. They produce a LOT of glare on our flat screen TV. Would love to hear everyone's ideas!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
JMittman Designs
I would start by having film installed on the windows to eliminate the glare. What does the other side of the room look like? I assume another window on the other side of the mantle? Your windows would look great with curtain panels hung above the second set of windows. Terrific room.
January 9, 2013 at 10:43am     
lefty47
HI -- The best thing for your windows would be electrical shade blinds w/remote , then full length drape panels added to the bottom windows . Hunter Douglas has a lot of choices of blinds from just sun shade to room darkening. There is also roller shades that are put on the outside -- but, I think they are ugly, but they work and can be color matched to the house color. Wonderful room !
January 9, 2013 at 10:57am     
katelyndunkel
I think the remote control blinds are a great, convenient option. I'd like to see more pics of the room though to see if there are more windows, or entrances, etc.
January 10, 2013 at 8:51pm     
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Remote control window blinds is a great choice. Realize they come two ways - battery powered and hardwired. To hard wire will require cutting sheet rock, so batter might be the best for you. They will help reduce your heating/cooling bills.
January 10, 2013 at 8:56pm     
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
If you were to get an articulating arm for your TV bracket, would a down-tilt angle work or a side to side?
January 10, 2013 at 9:06pm   
Quintin Dormeier
Quick rig some sheets
January 10, 2013 at 9:51pm   
PRO
Pleotint LLC
have you found a solution to your glare problem yet?
July 1, 2014 at 11:14am   
PRO
Foley Development Group
Remote control blinds are a good idea as mentioned above or you can pay to have the windows tinted.
July 2, 2014 at 10:14am   
PRO
Two Blind Guys
I would highly recommend looking into Hunter Douglas Duette Honeycomb Shades. Not only are they energy efficient, they are available in PowerRise Motorization and come in a wide variety of colors, fabrics, and various pleat sizes. They are perfect for spaces like this where you need to block the intense, direct sunlight and keep the heat and cold out during different seasons.
July 2, 2014 at 3:15pm   
PRO
Halcyon Shades
Our shades can get you style and function by reducing your window glare. Check us out and find a dealer if that is something you are interested in! http://www.halcyonshades.com/ http://www.halcyonshades.com/dealer-locator/
July 15, 2014 at 1:00pm