Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
bedroom design
Christelle
January 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need some suggestion in finishing my bedroom:) I have Bm grey wisp 1570 painted on all walls. I like the color but for some reason I am getting bored of it already. it's just missing some things in my room! I felt in love with the west elm Pin tuck bedding I ordered in graphite :) for my bedroom, my initial choice of bedding was the avian" chinoiserie" from dwell studio, i am still considering getting it in futur. I have slanted ceilling and walls the smaller wall behind the bed i am thinking in accent it and I am seriously thinking of painting "BM wrought iron 2124-10" but will it look great???!!! it's the smallest wall behind the bed. i am really looking for the contrast and i love dark walls in bedroom. Do you think it will give the woua factor i am looking for???????
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leannfrank
What about wallpaper on that one wall?
2 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 10:43AM
Christelle
i am not really a fan in posing wallpaper:) I like framed wall paper as art ! i do like a lot of wallpaper design just not the inconvenience and pain when the wallpaper need to be changed. my wall are medium textured too :(
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 10:53AM
Nancy Hehmann
I would do some artwork in your room. I cannot see the other walls but there is so much to choose from. Photography can be so uplifting and in an instant you can visit someplace you love or dream to be. Choose either 3 pieces of one theme in the same frame or a large piece of something you fall in love with. I would not go for mass produced either. Visit Etsy.com and input what you would like in the search engine such as photography horse or photography Paris, or coastal. Etsy also has othre wall art and inspirational sayings. I also like the one shop that has large Scripted black initials floating on glass in a black frame. While you are there check out my photography shop, nancyhehmann. I can customize any of your selections with regard to size or if you want it printed on Canvas. You can easily contact eah shop owner.

Just click on the link below and you will be visiting Hawaii! Lots of other selections.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/112332814/coast-of-maui-with-crashing-waves

Or visit Charleston SC below. It was voted the #1 Tourist destination in the world by Conde Naste https://www.etsy.com/listing/107037138/art-photography-of-a-carriage-ride-in

Love the Pintuck bedspread. Think I will check it out!
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 10:54AM
Christelle
thank you carolina I definitly was planning on the art work not mass produced absolutly I just didn't really find the perfect one yet , I love black n white pics of tree in fog, or nature I think a very classy gold framed piece would look fab too. it just i didn't find the one so i got nothing on the walls. For the other wall it's the talest and i am a bad girl lol i have a flat screen mounted on that one :)
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 11:05AM
Nancy Hehmann
https://www.etsy.com/listing/105993818/high-definition-art-photography-of

Above is a picture take in Prince Edward Island.

If you see anything in my shop, it can be made by the nationally ranked photo lab in black and white.
I have a high definition camera and a lot of files. But no fog! If I see any, I will snap it. LOL. We have not had much fog lately and I am not praying for any either. I still work part time as an RN and I do not want to traverse with it about.

Oh, I know what they say but most of us have TVs in our rooms.
Take care,

Nancy
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 11:11AM
Christelle
here a pic of other walls
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 11:14AM
Jane Walker
I know that grey is trendy, but I find that when I'm unhappy after painting, it's because I've chosen cool, rather than warm, colors. Could this be it for you?
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 11:19AM
Christelle
hi jane i am located in las vegas and got plenty of sun too much of it I just felt in love with grey's and repainted my whole house grey-grays i use to love red and browns. I still have my floor in warm color:) i painted some rooms plain dark and i just love the feel. I think it's because this grey i have in my bedroom has green undertones and that is what bother me sometime with the light it change to soft blue and grey i just cannot find the touch that will make all pop !! i do love deep yellows orange ect this room shown below is my favorite room in my whole house at this time I am just so happy when i enter it and you can see it's pretty dark but have a lot of white too and a orangy chair lol
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 11:36AM
Christelle
i cannot imagine painting a room another color since i have my whole house in grey and gray's. my husband just ask me the same question lol I adore grey it's neutral to me and you can put all bright color it will look fab but i agree that sometime or some poeple grey can feel depressing for me at this time it just feel comforting
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 11:39AM
leannfrank
Oooh what about a sunburst mirror over the bed?? (I'm obsessed with them right now)
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 6:11AM
PRO
Maria Killam
Painting your wall a dark colour like Wrought Iron will simply make your headboard blend into the wall and I think your wrought iron bed is pretty. What you need are lamps in the correct scale, and probably new bedding and pillows. You also need a lamp on the dresser across the room and a standing one somewhere else. Your curtain rod should be higher, it could line up with the height of the headboard wall and should also be 10-12 inches longer on each side of the windows with 2 panels of drapery on each side. When your curtains are drawn they will cover the wall not the window.
Here's a post I wrote about lighting: http://www.mariakillam.com/2010/04/the-enchanting-world-of-atmosphere.html
Hope this helps,
Maria
4 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 6:19AM
abbshel
I currently have the Dwell Studio Chinoiserie set on my bed (love it!) and also have a wrought iron bed. My walls are "Santa Fe" a light tan. I used some complimentary pillows on the bed for additional interest.
I would recommend you purchase the Chinoiserie set first before reprinting. Perhaps you can pull a color from it for your accent wall behind the headboard. I'm thinking a light teal shade.
Other than that, poster Maria Killam has some great suggestions.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 6:30AM
misscristie
How about getting a large damask or other design stencil and getting the same paint color in a higher sheen and stenciling just the wall behind your bed? That will add an accent, but it will be more subtle.
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 6:37AM
apennameandthata
Is everything in your room really green? Or is that the light? I think that BM Grey Wisp is a green grey. To find out what the complementary colour is, stare at a paint chip against a white background until your vision goes cloudy, then look at a white surface. The after-image is the colour you can add to make the room go pop.

Anyway, your room would pop in 2 seconds if you added a small area of pink. Is you ceiling really green? It would be better if it was off white. If you have off white, green-ish and pink, then you have a chintz-ish colour combination, but without the flowers. Or, you could frame a huge chintz pattern behing your bed and you would have the chintz pattern with flowers. If there is green in the colours, the green in the chintz would pick it up. To see the effect of pink/light fuschia, you just need to get a couple of yards of fabric from a fabric shop.

Please post after photos.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 7:02AM
Christelle
thank you so much for all your suggestions I just drop the idea with the dark accent wall i think it just missing a lot of decoration and finitions :) i just receive the bedding yerterday and as soon i drop it on the bed it change everythings already. Some artwork, a mirror, bed skirt , accent pillow with pop of color, more lamps, curtains. i will surely update with a pic when it's done.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 7:57AM
Christelle
thank you maria for the post this is what exactly i was trying to get into , with my broken english lol I want to create that " Atmosphere"!!! I think I achieved into my other room for my personal taste:) I still love my bedroom color, it change through the day. I know i can get it I just need the complimentary color that will make it all happy :) and the right deco
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 8:18AM
Christelle
what style side lamp/color should I place . Theses i like the base not so much the shade they don't do much for my bedroom and i agree
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 8:24AM
PRO
Appliances Connection
When i saw your room, I thought of this lamp. If you want to paint it, you can always paint just 1 of the walls or just the ceiling or even just the trim and doors. I've seen some great changes just by painting some and not all.
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 8:49AM
Christelle
pretty damask i like it a lot :)
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 9:03AM
PRO
Appliances Connection
Yeah, I think someone else mentioned damask would be a good print for your room. Here's the link for it. http://www.appliancesconnection.com/i290737-coaster-table-lamps.html
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 9:38AM
Christelle
Well check this out the bedding already do a huge favor i think:)
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 9:50AM
Christelle
i know the child protection is needed at this time will get it down soon hopefully . I have a question bedskirt question white or linen natural????? i go more on linen natural and i think i found the complimentary color a pretty splash of ORANGE ??? I stole the pillows from my other bedding that I love so much from my other room and I think it work ?
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 9:55AM
Christelle
I am going more toward the natural what do you think ? white or natural?
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 10:05AM
PRO
Appliances Connection
It looks a lot better with the bedding. I would think linen natural as well although I'd have to see it to be sure. Definitely add some artwork above the headboard and I was thinking a nice black curtain rod like this one would look great and would pop off the wall.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 10:05AM
Christelle
and compliment the bed too I agree
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 10:06AM
Christelle
lol pauli your dad pic is pretty handsom lol lol lol
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 10:39AM
Christelle
my huby just retired 21 years air force :)
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 10:43AM
pauli12
Christelle, thank you.... I think he is handsome too.... :-) Many thanks to your husband for his service!
lol this is funny....
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 10:50AM
Norma Sassone
Yikes gray! it's a great background but needs color accessories and artwork. I'd love to see that low wall in back in a light cool aqua like the photo below. Pink pillow brinks out the touch of pink in the landscape. perhaps also an aqua and gray stripe on the lampshade?
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 10:59AM
Norma Sassone
cool lamp
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 11:04AM
PRO
Appliances Connection
Hi Christelle! I hope this is all helpful. We just joined Houzz a week ago so I am still adding products. I came across some interesting lighting fixtures (contemporary chandeliers) but I don't know if you were looking for that. Our company has over 40,000 products so it will take me an eternity to add even half of them. Feel free to follow us. You might see something you like or something that might give you ideas.
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 12:05PM
Christelle
I find the frames i really like and think will compliment my room what do you think??? a grouping of th just one big one above the bed? what size will work the best ? my bed is california king the wall is not tall behind the bed
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 1:54PM
Christelle
i really like the second pic the best :) i am pretty sure i will go with black n white art maybe some sketch like in old french museum kind i like that a lot .
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 1:54PM
pauli12
I like the mostly black one. I think it would stand out more on your walls.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 1:55PM
Christelle
i would love love to take down the fan and place a fab chandelier i am a chandelier addict but my huby got so much hard time to hang the fan and the other chandeliers in the house that he is holding on claws and theeth at this time in keeping the fan I know i will get my way one day it will take time lol but there will be one:) and the fan that we never ever use will come down lol lol lol
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 2:01PM
PRO
Appliances Connection
Definitely black frame. Hahaha I understand his frustration. I'll have some of our cooler lighting fixtures up hopefully soon so you can browse. We have many more but, here were some of the ones I saw that I thought you might like.
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 2:29PM
pauli12
ha ha Christell.... You are a chandelier addict and I am too but what is funny is I have a discussion going on and you can see my chandelier "fail".
It's kind of funny but I wish I could make it better. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/299089/Big-open-space
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 4:05PM
Christelle
woua you come a long way too :) we got the same color floors:) I was sweating bullets with mines trying to hold it while huby was wiring and after was too much cable to fit into the box i almost cry my arms hurt so bad lol lol lol here a pic of mines no matter what everyone says they will stay i love them :)
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 6:23PM
Christelle
they talking to each other too i have a open floor house almost like yours but got a small wall window in middle :)
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 6:50PM
pauli12
I love these chandeliers. We have a lot of the same taste. Thanks! I know what you mean about your arms hurting....
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 3:16AM
pauli12
I love the white hutch with wood top...
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 3:17AM
inkwitch
The thing that is missing is that pop of color, and I keep seeing yellow when I look at your photos. Everyone uses red with grays, but it can get boring after a while. Bed pillows (no more than 2) in a pattern (something curvy to reflect the bedframe?) and a lamp with yellow base. Or yellow patterned shade, but that could skew the tones of the gray walls. Watch what color light your lightbulbs produce. Really white light is a little "cold" but it sustains the color tones.

I'm not a big fan of bedskirts. Cover the bedsprings with a fitted sheet (they make them "deep" enough now) matching the comforter. And linen never looks "pressed" and wrinkle-free unless you starch it.

Definitely change that ceiling fan to something else -- chandy, although I'd have it moved to over the bed. It's not expensive.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 3:47AM
bloemen58
I agree with Inkwitch. But I would also do something with the curtains and other accesoires, like bedlamps. Give them colour! Then you can do anything with this room.
3 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:55AM
PRO
Committed Photography, Inc.
Hi Christelle,

I agree with you b&w photography with gold frames would look incredible. I'd even considered black matting to really make everything pop. Below are a few images you might find interesting. Everything is custom made meaning you get to choose the size, frame, and matting. Enjoy!

http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/2547
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/3696
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/84
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 4:11AM
Christelle
I don't think yellow will be end for this room :) i have a lots of yellow though the house i love the contrast next to a true grey, not like this room that have cameleon color changing through the day from blue to green and grey. if i change the lamp maybe for a deep orange ! I keep looking and looking is nothing i see right now that is really talking to me or fall in love with lol lol I want just that piece that really make me happy. I use to have tons of stuff that just collected dust and i just end up trashing all prior moving to this house. Committed photography- I just love the first photo you proposed and there is another one i really like in your portfolio i probably will end up getting from somewhere else in my house. thanks so much for all your help :) I really appreciate everyone inputs and ideas I just cannot wait to finish this room
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 9:02AM
Christelle
pauli the hutch was a craiglist find it was very ugly yellow pine I repainted it and changed the hardware :)
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 9:06AM
pauli12
I love to get old stuff and paint it. I have done that with lots of my things.
My paint color changes hues throughout the day also.
When I am like you are about wanting something to speak to you, I always just try to wait and let it. Usually something will come up that I love.
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 9:50AM
inkwitch
You've achieved good basics and have a plan in mind. Give yourself time. The right pieces will fall into your hands when least expected! It's part of the fun of decorating, and always a work-in-progress.
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:20PM
Christelle
thank u inkwitch :) i know it will
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 6:02PM
yazfletch
I'm going to throw some ideas out there that may not be quick fixes. What if you ind pendants to hang down from the ceiling rather than placing lamps on night stands? Also, I think some crown moulding would fabulize the space. I love your white chest of drawers.
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 10:01PM
Christelle
i love crown molding and thinking of placing some through the house one day :) i like the idea of pendant lights a lot and i might just do that in close futur with some mirrors behind the side table :) the drawer chest is from ikea i like it a lot too it's clean line, good price and good looking enough to place anywhere:)
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 9:08AM
PRO
Appliances Connection
It's coming along really nice! You've got a lot of good ideas to work with now. Definitely update once you get that chandelier in! I bet it's going to look amazing.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 8:03AM
Christelle
I find my perfect pop of color for my bedroom :) This fabric for curtains OMG looks fab with my wall paint and all my graphite grey. Don't you think!!!
3 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 12:05PM
pauli12
Christelle, I want that fabric in my house.... I love orange and birds.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 7:09AM
Christelle
it's thomas paul the aviary in tangerine pauli :)
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:49AM
madeliene
I would bgin w ith some molding, it adds so much to any room. You can get polyurethane , cheaper, it can be painted , stained etc.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 8:06AM
madeliene
For those who want to put wallpaper and know how hard it is to remove,or live in an apt. You can use material, just old fashioned laundry starch, ( HD or Lowes) dip the material in it- wring it out, ( not too wrinkly) use a board or window cleaner sqweegie to apply to the wall. It will stay up beauticully. When you want to remove it, it will just come off nicely, wash the wall- done. It works well when you want to do a chair, duvet , pillows and then maybe one wall etc. This Old House magazine or .com. Sorry if this is not exactly in comment problem, but wallpaper was mentioned.
2 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:45AM
Christelle
I replaced the rod in my bedroom and place it at the correct high looks so much better thank you
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 5:57PM