Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen Challenge
parstar1
January 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Kitchen all windows & doors; old floor; radiator; old sink & counter; husband nixes island. Desperate for counter & cupborad space! Small budget ($20,000), so no tinkering w/doors, windows or walls. What to do?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
add 3/8" drywall over that paneling if you don't need to get into the walls.
Give us a general lay out of the room and ajacent spaces. Have you put examples into your image book of what you like so we can take a look?
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 12:13PM
parstar1
Door on radiator wall is back door for house, stove wall doors are pantry & basement doors & door on wall opposite radiator wall goes to dining room. We're planning on making pantry into half bath. Will work on some examples.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 1:54PM
parstar1
Window on each side of frig & window above radiator. I like undercounter mounted sink. Sheet flooring OK & would like granite or something along that line for counter. I have a few pics in Ideabook. Like farmer style sink too.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 4:11PM
rebeccago
I had a small old kitchen and now it is awesome. I used mostly Ikea and just maxxed out the cabinet space, get the kind that go al the way up to the ceiling. Then I went to HDepot and found clearance tiles and went to 5 different stores and bought them all out. I rented a tile saw and tiled the floor and all the walls it is AWESOME. I used taupe cut stone it was on clearance and taupe grout to hide oil and grease. I put my own pattern on the walls. I bet you can tile right over that paneling. Get the tight sticky glue like vertical grout and the tiles will stay on there. Like I said I used a neutral tile. But start with Ikea and just buy all their stuff it is meant to go together and even the appliances and cabinets have their own leveling feet so you don't have to get it pro installed. Then you can afford the granite, repaint ceiling and what not. Also probably ditch the curtains (sorry if those are yours) and just get plain Ikea shades they work well and cheap too.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 4:21PM
parstar1
Any ideas on painting paneling? Husband likes wainscot (sp?). Not to crazy about tile floor - have tiles now, but just did bathroom with sheet flooring & it looks great.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 4:40PM