Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with Mudroom/laundry room
sabella1
January 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are designing our mudroom. We are going to install cabinets, cubbies, and counter to make the room more functional. Originally we were going to close up the left side door so that cubbies could continue along the corner and onto the middle wall. Now we thought of a great idea of moving the right side door that leads to the garage closer to the middle of the room so that we can put a pantry/storage unit where the right side door is currently. The room is narrow so we will not put anything on the opposite wall, the wall opposite the washer and dryer. The pantry will most likely end where the current right-side door is. My only issue is the placement of the left-side door. If I leave the door and do not close up that wall how do I start the cubby on the middle wall? I'd prefer to leave the door so that we can have access to the outside without having to open the garage doors. I like this door because it leads directly to the backyard and makes throwing out garbage easier without having to carry the garbage through the garage, open the garage door and walk around to the side of the house. The second picture gives you an idea of how I can end the counter next to the door on the washer and dryer wall but I cannot see how they continued the cabinets at the end of the door. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sabella1
also, don't worry about the window on the middle wall. We are closing it up to the cubby and pantry.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 12:09PM
sealedesign
Do I see 2 doors at the end of this long corridor? Those have to be left available. 'd have something for shoes, coats books as close to the entrance as possible and easy to access without doors so it gets used. If someone has to open a cabinet, it won't happen. I'd wrap cubbies above and beside the dryer and have a table that folds down across from the dryer for folding and sorting clothes. Here's one from Ikea. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30180504/
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 12:36PM
orangecamera
You want to put cubbies on the wall where the window is, and not move the door to the left of it. I'm assuming that door opens into the laundry room. So, you can't put cubbies behind it. You can put cubbies along the rest of the wall. In the area you need to leave clear for the door swing, you can put hooks and a bulletin board. What are you planning for the rest of the walls? More cubbies, shelves?

Any chance of moving the window so it's behind the door, since you can't put cubbies there anyway? That will still allow sunlight and fresh air.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 12:52PM
PRO
K Architectural Design, LLC
If you are looking at moving doors, why not move both doors down leaving about 2' for cubby/bench seating at the rear, under the window. I would suggest keeping the window as you can never get too much natural light, and just frame around it. Looks like it is a bit off center, so I would put cubbys on the left hand side from floor to ceiling, about 18" wide. Then do a bench under the window with the bottom open for shoes, and on the far right do a tall pantry/utility cabinet for storing stuff that you don't use often. Then next to the dryer, something similar to the picture you had posted. I call it a drop zone, you can make it as wide as possibly to fit between the new door location and the dryer, put some outlets, and either drawers or open shelving to put a purse, briefcase or other bag that you use regularly. Leave the top open and then add some shelving above the washer/dryer. And then remove that hanging shelf/rod from the right wall as it will be an odd set-up. You could put a fold down table there, or if you have space in the garage, and need more storage, what about bumping into that space 2' to add a closet?
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 1:05PM