Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ideas for dining room rug
alanab
January 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are remodelling our ranch style home. My colors are shades of taupe and aqua with variations in each room. My style is similar to Ballard Design or Pottery Barn. My dining room looks into my living room (10' span in the wall). The walls are a beige gray color. My curtains are going to be document fabric in a similar shade (see the fabric on the chair on the right side of the room). My livingroom (shown in the picture with the woodstove and cabinets) also has some gold. Sorry that the picture of the dining room has bad lighting. I took pics of surrounding rooms (still a work in progress) to give you a better idea of our home. Any rug ideas for the dining room? Or ideas in general, for that matter? Thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I think a wool sisal weave carpet with an edge binding would look appropriate for this country-ish dining room. I suggest it because it's very simple, and it's a flat weave so it won't be too hard to slide the chairs back on. Wool is very cleanable, and you can roll this up and take it to a professional cleaner periodically.
January 9, 2013 at 2:11pm     
alanab
I had thought of that, since it would also tie in nicely to the woven pendent lights over the kitchen countertop nearby (4th pic) and the tannish colored carpet in the livingroom nearby. I wasn't set on it, however, and wanted to consider all options. It would also flow with the European country style of furnishings/decor in the rest of the home.

I had also considered something more colorful (a looped rug, perhaps, with a larger pattern, but felt like it might be too much, considering the peaceful colors in nearby rooms (dark taupe in kitchen, soft aqua in the livingroom, and also the document fabric I plan to use for the window treatment. I tend towards neutrals with pops of color.
January 9, 2013 at 2:59pm   
alanab
The 3rd option I had considered was something fairly traditional and soft feeling, with gray, gold/tan, and a blue-green in it, very muted color.
January 9, 2013 at 3:06pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I totally agree with Cynthia. It would look great like that. The room shown is amazing.
January 9, 2013 at 3:11pm   
PRO
LM Designers
Very nice home. Is that a desk area I see in the picture? Is that in the kitchen?
January 9, 2013 at 3:15pm   
decoenthusiaste
Just keep in mind that whatever you choose, it should be 4' wider and longer than your table for chair scoot and sit space.
January 9, 2013 at 3:33pm   
alanab
LM Designers- I assume you are talking about the aqua/blue furniture piece in the 4th pic to the right? That is an old dresser turned buffet located at the end of the galley kitchen; It doubles as a spot for my agenda and cell phone, at times. When entertaining, we like to set punch or other beverages there. It is a very versatile piece. The kitchen is open to the livingroom (the bar area is where you see the woven pendant lights). Behind that is the galley kitchen (You can see white cabinets in the background). The home is not "staged" how we would like it yet, so I was hesitant to post photos but did so to illustrate the style of our home. For example, in the living area, we are keeping an eye out for a large rectangular coffee table. The long narrow one is a transfer from our last home. The area of cabinetry over the wood burning stove was hastily styled before Christmas as we had just completed it. So all of the main areas will undergo scrutiny and change for some time until we feel right about it. Just today I moved the hutch in the dining room to the back wall of the room as a background to the table... wish me luck in my endeavors. We are not professionals but we do all the remodelling and decorating ourselves so there is alot of trial and error!
January 10, 2013 at 7:55am   
alanab
decoenthusiaste- Thank-you. I think an 8X10' should work nicely.
January 10, 2013 at 7:56am   
alanab
LM Designers-- if you were talking about the desks in the dining room on the left, those are there temporarily while we work on a den area. When we complete that, computers will go in there :)
January 10, 2013 at 7:58am   
More Discussions
What does luxury mean to you?
The beauty of Houzz is that you can get inspiration...
What color should I paint garage doors and trimmings?
Buying this rehab....knew the old fella who built it...
Anybody know who makes a sheet vinyl that looks like concrete?
Looking for a concrete look vinyl for my home. I want...
Ugliest fireplace on the block. Help!
Need design help with my tall walk around fireplace....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.