powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Does a fireplace have to be the centre of a room?.
stenie
January 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a small family room off my kitchen,next to a dining area.There is a corner fire place with the tv over it.We have 3 recliner chairs,which doesn't give much seating. .I would like to put in a sectional sofa,add a recliner and put a gas fireplace( bumped outside) on a side wall with a small tv over it. The only trouble is there are french doors at the end of the side wall.The tv will not face the sofa,but hopefully we can put it on an arm for extension.Any ideas? My husband says,leave the fireplace the centre of the room..Should I listen:))
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Hi Steni. Which wall do you want the fireplace to go on? Are you having the fireplace built in permanently? What are the dimensions of the room? If I look at the photos am I right assuming that the fireplace will go to the left of those french doors? If so can you attach a photo of that entire wall.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 2:12PM
creeser
It doesn't have to be the focal point, but you don't want to block it off either.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 2:25PM
decoenthusiaste
I don't think you've posted a pic of the wall you want to put the new FP on. Would help to see it.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 2:45PM
stenie
Hi Carolyn,yes it will be a permanent fire place on the wall with the two prints.The room is about 20feet long x10 feet wide,open to another 10 feet where the dining table is..thanks. Ps I feel that this space isn't being utilized as much as it could
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 2:50PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The fireplace not centered is fine. The TV on an arm that you would need to pull out to view is a deal breaker for me.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 2:56PM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
My first reaction is that this would not be the wall to put the fireplace on and I don't think you will gain anything by doing so. If you were to make major changes, like removing the window and putting the fireplace in the centre and then a window on either side, that would make sense. But as it is now you would be best, even though it's not perfect, leaving the fireplace where it is. Then I would paint all the same colour and not one colour on the left and a different colour on the right of the fireplace.

I'm assuming the sectional will back will be on the wall opposite the wall in the shot above, and then swing around towards the french doors, correct?

Not sure where you are, but you might be best advised, before you spend money on renovations, to have a professional from your area come in and do a proper plan for you.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 2:59PM
stenie
Thank- you...wish you were in my area:)
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 3:54PM
lefty47
HI - I love the colors you have used , very pretty . Can you post new photos of your room with a picture of each wall taken with your back to each wall looking out to the center of the room. Hope you know what I mean . Thanks
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Cat friendly fabric?
I'm recovering a beautiful expensive chair because...
Colours that works with the floor
I just bought a house and the kitchen is stumping me....
House exterior
I want to repaint my house and roof .please advice...
What kind of art could we put on our painted dining room wall?
We don't want to change the wall as my husband took...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.