powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to do with wall with fireplace gone?
clandos
January 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Removing unsafe chimney and fireplace. I would like to do something cool with the wall or do you suggest that I bite the bullet and build another chimney and fireplace??
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Hi clandos,
What makes this fireplace unsafe...weak, cracked mortar joints, poor draft? Does it house the vent for your heating system? If it does, you will have to maintain a chimney. If you have a direct vent heating system then having a chimney is not an issue. Sometimes you can put a stainless steel vent pipe up the flue to take care of certain problems. The fireplace has a unique face. Do you like the style? If you don't like the brick you can tile over it with some great looking small format ceramic, stone or glass tiles for an updated look to a period style. The mantle could be a thick piece of wood or stone.

What activites will take place in this room...conversation living room, family room/media room? A house of this era typically has minimal storage. Would additional built-ins be helpful? How big is this room? Hall tall is the ceiling? Can you provide pics of all 4 walls? With a little more feedback, we can start to talk detail.
January 9, 2013 at 5:52PM     
clandos
I just bought the house and have begun to remodel. The chimney is barely held together. It needs to come down. I will measure the room and get the wall height.
January 9, 2013 at 7:17PM   
clandos
I will also get pics of the 4 walls
January 9, 2013 at 7:18PM   
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with not walling off the fireplace in case future buyers want to bring it back to life. In the meantime, one option would be to place candles inside so it creates a warm glow when lit.

January 9, 2013 at 7:51PM     
angiesays
Have you talked to a good mason on this issue? Tuckpointing or stucco and relining or sealing off the chimney would be less expensive than removing it. The side of your house will have to have some extensive structural and stucco rework. The chimney is an important architectural feature of your house and it looks great. If you are worried about fire safety, there are some great looking electric inserts available now that look like the real thing and you could seal up the flue.
January 9, 2013 at 7:51PM   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the fireplace is a great focal point. There are so many ways you can go with this. Check out direct vent fireplaces vs. masonry vs. woodburning inserts needing a chimney (which could be framed, then stuccoed with brick or wood accents that would be less than full masonry and brick construction). If you decide on a fireplace, then we can work on the entire wall and just how to position the depth of the fireplace and its height.
January 9, 2013 at 8:01PM   
clandos
Thanks everyone. I have had several contractors and chimney people out and the consensus is it needs to be taken down. I am leaning towards paying the money to have a new chimney and fireplace unless there was something that could be done that would look very nice and less expensive. I am attaching photos of all 4 walls. The ceilings are 9 feet and the room is 14 ft.x 19 ft.
Again, thank you for your comments
January 12, 2013 at 2:50PM   
clandos
Here are the photos
January 12, 2013 at 2:52PM   
clandos
An additional 2 photos
January 12, 2013 at 2:53PM