Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Design Dilemma
Professionals
Users

Need help with an L shaped family room

kdeevyJanuary 9, 2013
We are considering moving our dining room into the current family room and making the formal dining and living room which is L Shaped into one great room to hopefully fit a sectional and entertainment center. The current living room has a carpet inset and the adjacent current dining room has hardwood floors. I really like the look of the carpet inset and it gives a family room a warmer feeling than hardwood floors. I feel I need to extend the carpet inset into the full room so that the sectional isn;t half on the carpet and half on the hardwood. However does it make sense to rip out nice hardwood floors?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
You are absolutely right that it doesn't make sense to rip up the hardwood flooring in the family room. Instead I suggest you remove the inset carpeting and fill the space completely with hardwood flooring. I know you thought it would be too formal, but if you place a casual rug there, it will be even less formal than it looks now.

One thing that would really help reduce the formality of the area is to change the glass coffee table and the end table to more casual ones. To make people feel relaxed in the space, they need to feel that there is nothing that is easily breakable or easily damaged. I also think it better if they not match each other. It gives a much more current and relaxed feel to the room. The finishes need not match either.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Keaton Coffee Table · More Info
Newberry Pedestal Table - Pottery Barn · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 5:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Darzy
How about just laying a larger area rug on top of of the inset carpet for your new dining space? Then, put a large complementary area rug for the new family room? Caroyln's option is best, however. I agree to create a casual space with warm furniture. I also think floor to ceiling curtains in the dining area would warm up the space and lend to the family room feel.
1 Like    Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 6:18PM