Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Long living room off kitchen. Layout dilemmas
Christina Skretkowicz
January 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This was supposed to be our town homes family room but we found the formal living room to be more suitable for tv viewing. We would love a TV in this room but the existing sofa and chair can only swap places. If I turn sofa facing wall, it would back right up to bar stools (which I am in process of refinishing black). We just hung the curtains too. I need help with layout because is the one room in the house that I am stumped with. (Pardon the mess, kids just went to bed)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AMN
Any photos of from all other angles so we can see more of what you're working with? Also, it will help to see the full couch and get an idea for space. If you can provide some measurements, that would be helpful too. Thanks!
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 6:52PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'm not understanding the problem. It looks like the sofa would fit on the window wall, though it would be a shame to hide the beautiful draperies. Is there no wall on the right on which to mount a TV?
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 7:06PM
Christina Skretkowicz
I'll add more photos
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 2:39PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
A sectional in the corner with one side under the windows. Have two low back chairs float in the room with the backs facing the kitchen.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 2:42PM
Christina Skretkowicz
The room is 20 feet by 12 feet. The corner piece is my "office" which could be relocated
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 3:16PM
gullybansal
An interesting dilemma. Where you currently have the cabinet you could build an area out to add an angle for you to mount the tv. This has the added advantage of being able to recess cabinetry into it. As its a period property you could probably use paneling to blend it in. This would allow you to put in your furniture and still provide a good flow through to the stairs. Hope that makes sense if not let me know and i'll draw it out for you
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 3:30PM
Christina Skretkowicz
Gully, many other units have a fireplace where the desk/cabinet is located. The would be my ideal solution...but where would sofa go?
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 3:41PM
Christina Skretkowicz
I just want it to be a comfy space. I don't know what to do with furniture arrangement, area rug, coffee table, etc?
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 9:05AM
2leftsocks
Lovely space - very pretty paint color & curtains. Love the window wall, too. Suggest hanging a modest sized flat panel TV, on a swivel bracket, where the decorative star is now. This way it can be veiwed from all room angles, including the b'fast bar & kitchen. Since this room is a secondary TV viewing space, the unit does not have to be a monstrosity. Just large enough for comfortable viewing. Leave the sofa where it is, just shift it down the wall, away from the entertainment center a foot or two. Give that corner some breathing space. Place the sofa's matching chair opposite where it is now, for easy TV/window viewing. Float it close to the sofa, so conversation is easy, it's back facing the staircase. Do not angle it. You will need a little room to access to the entertainment unit. Place the ottoman in front of the couch as a coffee table. (Top w/ a pretty tray.) Ground the grouping with a large area rug that picks up the color of the curtains &/or wall. Add coordinating throw pillows on the sofa. Hang a large piece of simple wall art above the sofa. Something that does not fight w/ the curtain & rug patterns. Keep the entertainment center if you like, same place. (It can hold games, blanket throws, extra pillows, etc.) Also, four chairs at the b'fast bar is too cluttered. Be realistic about how many you use at once. Hopefully two is enough? If not, consider a counter-height bistro table centered in front of the windows for the other two chairs. Something leggy & unobtrusive that does not block window light. That wall & the light it allows is a wonderful asset. Don't hide it too much. (If no table is placed in this area, a long, low. backless bench would look lovely in front of the windows. Just to balance that end of the room a bit.) Last, make sure the shades are open during the day, for light. If privacy is an issue, hang half sheers from the sill, up. At night you can lower the shades.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 9:52AM
catherinek708
If you can do without the breakfast bar seating, You could have the TV built- in into a cabinet under the counter. Leave the sofa where it is. Add a small round table with two small dining chairs for breakfast coffee on the wall by the stairs. (or a 1/2 round table would work too) You could also put a table and two chairs in front of the windows.
As far as the windows, I think it would look better if you made it look like one large window: sheers all the way across and the drapes only on the outer edges. You could double them up on either side. That way, a nice lamp on the table, centered in the window space would balance the space nicely.

If you need the breakfast bar seating then absolutely go with stools without backs instead of the ones you have. The high backs interfere too much with the living room space. It will always look like a basement rec room with those stools there. My humble opinion of course.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 10:46AM
PRO
I would add a seagrass rug and then some pillows. A Mongolian lamb pillow would add nice texture (upper left color), plus a couple of pillows in your beautiful wall color. You also need a coffee table, plus a small table to go by the chair, and I like the one below that repeats your wall color. I wouldn't necessarily add any end tables. I think floor lamps would work well for you. Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Harbor Basketweave Seagrass Rug With Sage Binding Mongolian Lamb Pillow Cover Gus Modern Ossington Coffee Table Coffee Tables Octagonal Leather Box/Side Table
3 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 10:57AM
Christina Skretkowicz
I could definitely use only two chairs at breakfast bar (we have two kids) and I never get to sit anyway. I can finish the two and repurpose in the basement somewhere. I'm loving all the suggestions!!! Thank you.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 7:15PM
Christina Skretkowicz
The counter is not high enough to house a TV under. Unlike our neighbors who have bar height counter.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 7:17PM
PRO
Count your blessings...your counter ht is a lot better look even if it won't accommodate a TV.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 7:24PM
Christina Skretkowicz
Alternate layout, look better? As is, I don't see a way TV will work, which is ok, it is not a must. I like the idea of a seagrass area rug. Curtains - hem a little or let drape on floor?
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 6:08AM
PRO
The draperies will look better if you hem them. I really think that office armoire has to go away. I preferred the chair and otto angled by the window. What you're showing in the new photos does not allow any space for a coffee table unless you get rid of the ottoman.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 6:54AM
catherinek708
If you are not going to watch T.V. In the room, then I would rethink the space entirely. Make it an office / library where the kids could do homework or projects. Or, put in a pool or ping pong table.
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 8:32AM
2leftsocks
Looking at the new arrangement pics, per my suggestions, I must agree with others - the armoire should go. Move the sofa back so it is centered against that wall. (I still think this layout could work nicely, if grounded w/ a nice area rug & a large piece of art on the wall. However, the ottoman is a bit smaller than I originally thought. True, a larger coffee table would be better & more in scale with the furniture & room.)
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 2:40PM
Christina Skretkowicz
Thanks, I had originally planned to hem curtains, I will do that today! I will also brainstorm a new home for armoire and ottoman. Seagrass rug is an A+ on my list so I'll be back when I make a few changes.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 6:01AM
Christina Skretkowicz
This is where I'm at - still awkwardly empty spaces in my opinion.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 6:38AM
catherinek708
every room needs a focal point to "work" That is the problem in this space. If you add art work above the sofa (even blown up black and whites of the kids), some tables, lamps, and a bookcase with some treasures you will make the space more inviting. I would put the ottoman in front of the chair for certain. Books and candles on a coffee table, a nice throw, a second coordinated chair, even a rocker, and a plant or two and the place will start to feel alive!
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 2:53PM
Christina Skretkowicz
That was my next question... Artwork. I definitely was leaning toward several canvases of my kids (I am a photographer so I want to display work of my kids). I was thinking 3 very large squares.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:10PM
PRO
That should work. I'm looking forward to seeing your work!
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:43PM
catherinek708
When I saw this wallpaper I thought of the huge wall you have. Do you like it?
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 2:35PM
Christina Skretkowicz
Is that wallpaper or a wood treatment? I do love it, probably more so for my studio space!
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 4:37PM
catherinek708
It's wall paper made to look like salvaged wood.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 9:09PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I agree I think that making the drapery just sitting on the flood would give you a much cleaner look. It will also make the room look larger.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/top-treatments.html
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 11:31AM