Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help?
kareykirk9
January 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
These are oak cabinets stained dark cherry I really can't afford new cabinets, I wanted to paint the cabinets, change the countertop and put a backsplash ap. any suggestions to help this very dated kitchen?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Remove the border and the chair rail and replace the lighting. The white extractor fan doesn't match the fridge. Undercabinet lighting will help. Remove the window valance and replace with a modern blind. Remove the calendar... Is there something on your fridge? On the top of it? There shouldn't be anything on top of the fridge. The picture is very dark, so that's all I can see. I think there is the potential to make some major decorative changes here and have a very nice result.
2 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 8:17PM
kareykirk9
Thank you Cythnia. I appreciate your feedback. Great suggestions. It also has colored glass panes on a few of the cabinets, what options do i have here? It is extremely dark in the kitchen. What color would you recommend painting the cabinets to lighten it up?
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 8:35PM
colorkat3
It appears that you appreciate country style, I do. Freshening up the cabinets with paint will make a huge impact, you'll have a nice bead board look. I love white, but I've seen a lot of pretty kitchens lately in gorgeous colors,something to consider. Removing the border, a new wall color, and a new light fixture are a must. Once you decide on the color of the cabinets then you can figure out what countertop will go, then backsplash to compliment them both. I think glossy wood countertop is beautiful, concrete can look really nice, and so can laminate if your limited by your budget. I don't think granite has to be the go to item in a kitchen.
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 8:47PM
Darzy
Your kitchen mostly just needs cosmetic changes to make you feel good about your kitchen again. Remove the ceiling fan and install canned lights and undercabinet lighting. Paint (or replace) your range hood black. Remove all the wall paper/border. Remove curtains and anything in the kitchen that is not necessary. Paint the lower wainscotting a sagey green and the upper walls (everywhere) a creamy white (and ceiling). After fresh paint, if budget allows, you may consider a glass backsplash subway tile.
1 Like   January 9, 2013 at 8:51PM
colorkat3
After seeing the extra pictures I spotted something else that would update and open the room a little bit. You might remove the wood section above the sink. Is it just the corner cabinet with a glass insert? You can replace with a new style of glass, metal grate, or tin.
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 8:54PM
Darzy
Here's a sample of sagey green and off white ceilings, etc...

0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 9:15PM
janishill
1) Remove wallpaper
2) Paint the cabinets, paneling and trim this shade of white: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/mascarpone using high gloss paint
3) Paint ceiling the same shade of white using eggshell paint.
4) Remove colored glass inserts and replace with clear or shadow glass.
5) Repalce cabinet hardware
6) Replace fan or paint fan blades white
7) Replace counter tops or refresh them with this: http://countertops.rustoleumtransformations.com/ using Desert Sand
8) Paint walls this happy color: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/citroncocktail
If that color is to bright for you try this one: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/potpourrigreen

If you are in the market for new appliances purchase stainless steel. If not perhaps you can have the frig painted at an automotive paint shop.

Remove the stove hood. Replace with a microwave or with a simple shelf.

Here's one lady's remake of her kitchen: http://inmyownstyle.com/2010/01/diy-kitchen-makeover.html

Hope to see pictures as you go along!
0 Likes   January 9, 2013 at 9:23PM
Darzy
janishill's suggestions are super. If you don't want to paint the cabinets, dark cabinets can look good with plenty of light and light color walls, counter and backsplash.

2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 12:22PM
kareykirk9
Love the comments, thank you all.. I do agree dark cabinets can be stunning and the pic provided was exactly that, thank you, but because mine are not a solid flat cabinet I think painting them a white or buttercream would be more fitting. Yes, all the wallpaper is coming down, my walls are plaster so the wallpaper hid the imperfections in the walls back then. I love the idea of a sage green for walls but not sure about the backsplash yet. Thanks again for all your ideas. :)
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 10:13AM
Crystal Day
Lighting, lighting, lighting.

Under cabinet lights will do wonders to brighten your kitchen, just as the photo from Darzy shows. Adding in can lights would be nice but the labor and electrical work might be daunting.

The wood trim around the window doesn't match anything, why not paint it the same shade of white as the vinyl window?

It looks like a wood valance hanging above the sink - I'd remove that plus the curtains.

I suggest removing the ceiling fan and swapping it for a monorail kit. I think this would work pretty good in your kitchen. We did this above our kitchen island and love it.
[houzz=
]
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 11:33AM
PRO
LM Designers
I agree with Darzy. I would strip it naked, paint the walls a lighter color then see where you need to take it. You don't need to replace your cabinets.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 12:01PM