Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with Powder Room Decorating
MUSE Design
January 9, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My powder room is 5 ft x 7 ft with a ceiling and crown molding at 9 ft. The floor is red travertine tiles and the current paint is Cool Platinum from Duron (painter's grade paint). My home's aesthetic throughout is a comfortable, casual elegance. I was planning to wallpaper in an updated damask coordinated with the floor tiles but I would love to have some help from you with alternate ideas. Suggestions for paint color or wallpaper color / pattern, towels, additional wall decoration, and sink top accessories?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
abbshel
Your bathroom is very similar to one of my full baths. I am using ocean blue towels, ocean blue with brown, rust, cream pin striping for the shower curtain and a white rug with ocean blue border. The color looks beautiful with what you have. Light teal or aqua would be great too.
January 9, 2013 at 9:21pm   
abbshel
I just re- read and see that your tile is red travertine. Mine is shades of brown.
January 9, 2013 at 9:23pm   
bbshailey
Maybe try framing the mirror or using a more decorative/intricate mirror. The size of a smaller mirror might look better with your light fixture as well.
January 9, 2013 at 9:28pm   
Darzy
I think I'd replace the faucets/hardware/light fixture to chrome. Chrome is timeless. I'd also take down the builder mirror and put up a beautiful framed mirror. I like your idea of wallpaper. Or, you can paint the walls one of the red colors from your travertine. Crisp white towels always look fresh in a bathroom.
Oh..an oversized print in the bathroom (reflecting in the mirror) always is pretty and dramatic.

January 9, 2013 at 9:40pm   
Darzy
Oh...for an "original" art piece, pick out the wallpaper you love and install in on a raw art canvas and hang it up as art. Inexpensive and beautiful, without wallpapering the whole bathroom.
January 9, 2013 at 9:45pm   
janishill
I agree with Darzy about replacing the fixtures with chrome.

Then I would paint the room this lovely shade of green: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/siennalaurel

Next I would have the existing light fixture removed and scone style light fixtures added over the mirror. Then I would hang another mirror between the scones.

Add a hurricane with a lovely candle or chrystal (or glass) candle holders with tapers on the left side of the counter and an orchid, topiary, or vase of hydrangeas on the right side.

A gallery wall across from the mirrors and one large picture in the same genre behind the toilet.
January 9, 2013 at 10:31pm   
charleee
Instead of framing your mirror, why not replace it with something more interesting? [houzz=Glow Modern Frameless Wall Mirror]
[houzz=Vintage Oval Pivot Mirror]
January 10, 2013 at 2:55am   
Nancy Hehmann
I would frame the mirror - definitely. Chrome would be great for fixtures and if your knobs on cabinet are not chrome, they should be replaced as well. You will need a new light fixture in chrome too. Have you been to Lowes, Home Depot or a lighting center lately?

Avanti makes great embellished towels that are decorative. They have a website where you can purchase them. But, you can also google them and the dept stores that carry them will come up if you need to put a sample of the tile next to one for color matching. I will post a link to their site with a towel in brick. Since I cant "see" your tile, I am only guessing. You can "click" on the link and away you go!!
http://www.avantilinens.com/categories/riviera-brick

I think bathrooms look great with granite and undermount sinks. If you call shops that carry it and ask, some of them will let you look at left overs from larger jobs (most have a big selection) and will discount the granite. I would be sure to bring the sample home first to ensure it looks good in your space b/c lighting can change the look. I like granite with some movement in it!

Post pics when you finish!
January 10, 2013 at 4:11am   
PRO
MUSE Design
Finished bathroom ...wanted to play up the red travertine tiles and realized blue would do it...inexpensive updates: paint Benjamin Moore "New York State of Mind", new white, pink, and blue hand towels, picture moved here from another room, some new items for top of sink, flowers (my house was selected for Virginia Garden Week Tour so fresh flower designs were created for every room) are parrot tulips and apple blossom, and freshly painted shelf I had picked up 20 years ago at the beach and painted white.
April 25, 2013 at 6:32pm