Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What chair and how to get the perfect pleated curtain
Al Omra
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi All,

Whenever we tried with windows treatment they either end up bland or flared as a pouf dress.

I was watching one episode of Million dollar decorator and I saw them pulling curtains out of the boxes already folded into pleats is that enough or are there other techniques in selecting fabric and so on.

Second , I would really appreciate if anyone can tell me what chair is that in the picture.

The house is designed by SAOTO architects and interior desiged by Anotni Associates.

Many Thanks .
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
TanCalGal
Pleats? sometimes the guys hang the drapes, arrange pleats and tie them loosely in the open position for a few days. Sometimes they use weights on the hem.
Bland? Add trim to bland panels.
Chair? Could not find: similar to Eames
January 11, 2013 at 3:11pm   
PRO
JMittman Designs
Are you referring to ready made curtains? You will almost never get the same effect of custom made drapery with store bought for many reasons. Custom made curtains are made with decorator fabric--usually with more body than what you will find with ready mades. The linings will be thicker, and many custom treatments have interlining--another layer of lining similar to flannel for even more body. Custom treatments will almost always have fuller pleats than you will find in ready mades. The fuller pleats mean there is more fabric in the pleat, which means the fabric will hold the pleat further down the panel. I would say fullness is probably the biggest factor you are missing in ready mades. That said, there are just some fabrics that will not behave correctly in curtains panels due to fabric content. :(
January 11, 2013 at 4:16pm     
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
Well said JMittman. You covered it all. The only thing I can add is that window covering professional sometimes "book" the drapes. It is a process of laying out the folds (like pages of a book) and then wrapping the panels so they hang with the folds held in place by bands until they naturally fall the way they are intended.
January 11, 2013 at 4:56pm     
PRO
STUDIO MB
This is a ripple fold treatment. The best way to have it not flare is a light weight fabric 118" goods so no seams and has a lead, metal, hem to keep it straight. It was very popular when this type of drape was common in the 70's.Now this art has been lost.
January 11, 2013 at 5:09pm   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Hi, Cheery Curtains has lots of nice curtains you may like, and here are some. Lots of colors, lots of patterns, perfect tailoring, and the best possible prices.

For more designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
January 11, 2013 at 8:02pm   
bodhidesigns
With the curtains fully open (i.e., stacked at the window edges), try "pressing" each pleat between your index and middle fingers and then setting them with large-ish sewing pins (near the hem) as you go; then tie a couple of long ribbons of rag around the opened curtains 1/3 and 2/3's of the way down for a week or two, just tight enough to hold them how you want them. That's what mother did, and her curtains are always crisp.
January 11, 2013 at 8:22pm     
AMN
If you don't mind me asking, in what city are you located?

For the chair, I recommend you find a high-end modern furnishings store (Miami has Luminaire, Atlanta has/had Space, NYC had Moss, etc.). Also check Ligne-Roset stores. I swear I've seen that chair or something very similar at Luminaire in Miami.
January 11, 2013 at 8:43pm   
Al Omra
Hi All, Thanks for the great reply. I think collectively you all have provided great tips into getting the perfect pleats . and surely I will try pressing the pleats into a book fold and keeping them loosely tied for few days .

I went through architonic and 1stdibs and most likely a chair like this could be vintage.

Thanks all for your tips and advise once again
January 12, 2013 at 10:37pm     
More Discussions
HELP THIS ROOM PLEASE!
This room is all wrong. I was obsessed with this zebra...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
What do you think about mismatched dining chairs?
The key to an eclectic look, surely? And also brilliant...
Fave winter recipe?
What is your go-to meal when the weather gets as chilly?...
Window help!
We are renovating our house and have decided we would...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.