Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dining room chairs
havenhus
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi,

It's my first post here, forgive me if I commit any faux pas!

I have been struggling to commit to dining room furniture. It is such a huge investment for something we will likely only use a dozen times a year. Anyhow...

I finally went ahead and ordered this table but am having buyers remorse-it's still in transit. Hopefully it will change when it gets here.

Please ignore the clutter in the room at the moment, I wanted to share the colors. Bad lighting on iPad camera too...

Chairs are the biggie - i will need 10-12. I am currently crushing on these green velvet ones, but I have been trying for a week to figure out the manufacturer. They are not: lee,Kravat, Pearson, hickory chair, freemarc...

We do have two small boys, so I am unsure about the reality of velvet. I am thinking I could do aniline leather on the seat and velvet on the back, but then I'd loose the skirt, which I think is why I am liking them so much. Also, how do you avoid the slipping off the chair with leather?

Finally, I am thinking I want to try a seagrass rug. Is this insane in the dining room? Stains & spills-wise?

Thank you so much for looking and your input!

Ps, I'm in Connecticut...
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy Hehmann
I have black leather Parsons chairs that I ordered from Carrington Direct online - they custom make great chairs and are located in NC - they ship. I live in SC and my sister in law ordered some (in TX) in fabric. I have never had any one slip off of the leather. I personally love, love, love them. But, that is my personal opinion.

With things costing what they do, I also have some older velvet Parsons chairs with a wooden table (both by Lane) that I have had for years. Glad to hear velvet is coming back (must have waited long enough, LOL) Mine are green velvet - yeah, I am in style again! They have been very durable and have lived through children who are now grown without problems. Hope that helps. My Grandsons love to eat in the dining room!

I have a photography shop on Etsy.com. Hope you will take a look. It is nancyhehmann. Just input that in the search engine. If you have not been on Etsy, it is a website with virtual shops and the owners are all over US and the world. You can easily contact shop owners with questions. You can find most everything there! Home decor, jewelry, custom made clothing.

Have fun with your new room! I love your table. Post pics when you are done.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:23AM
PRO
Curtain Call
Hello havenhus. I am new to Houzz and just saw your post from last year. I am the owner of a custom window treatment workroom and a Hunter Douglas dealer in Connecticut.

You may have solved your dining room issues; would like to share what we did. We bought a large table at moving sale with some chairs and bought more chairs at a consignment shop. I finally had the seats recovered recently; my upholsterer suggested scotch guarding the fabric if it hasn't already been treated. You can tell if it has because water will bead up on the fabric. Since you have young boys you can also consider using an indoor/outdoor fabric on the chairs. It's very practical.

I hope you enjoy your dining room. We use ours every night and it doubles as an office during the day because my workroom is tight.
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 3:38AM
PRO
Curtain Call
P.S. to my last post; if you haven't purchased or covered the chairs already, make sure the fabric is durable! You can determine this by looking on the tag on the fabric sample; it should say something about double rubs or something else with a number next to it; the number should be 30,000 or greater.
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 3:47AM
mfwolfe
I don't think the poster is listening.
1 Like   May 15, 2014 at 8:20AM
havenhus
Hi, Thanks for the responses! I am listening:-)

I actually haven't done anything with the chairs, yet...I am using extras from my kitchen table right now. As you can see, we don't really use the room much, except when we have guests, or for board games. I totally feel like formal dining and living rooms are passe...?
1 Like   May 15, 2014 at 9:00AM
Daniel Williams
My former living room was an unused space in my home so we turned it into a music room. It is now a very happy space to be in.
1 Like   May 15, 2014 at 9:12AM
PRO
Curtain Call
Hi. Me again. You can decorate it any way you like (formal; not formal) and still use it any way you please. I have a chandelier in mine that I love, but as mentioned, the room doubles as an office during the day.
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 9:12AM
PRO
Curtain Call
Hello Daniel. My dining room opens up on my living room, which is also a music room. Very happy space indeed.
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 9:14AM
whirlwyn
Havenhaus, you mentioned mixed use and guests. You might like the comments abt repurposed table, a mix of chairs: 6 velvet (usually arm/side ), 6 leather/ultra suede side smaller side chairs. As for rug, would you consider indoor/outdoor in many fetching patterns? Do some sisal rug spot clean? Ps we use our DR 20 parties a year - family, friends, formal. sometimes for business discussion. 8 Upholstered chairs, plus 4 teak/ leather from kitchen, plus assorted if needed. (This a fake set up due to upstairs Reno.)
0 Likes   May 15, 2014 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
Need help in finding this backsplash
I have been searching for this backsplash and can't...
willis2834q
Any info on this furniture? I will post more pics!
Hello, do any of you know anything about this buffet?...
Desi
What kind of rug is this?
I'm obsessed with this rug. Can anyone identify the...
gigi4321
Living room arrangement
I have a living/family room with a window or door on...
84stitches
need help with my great room and screened in porch
We are building a new home and we have planned a great...
vkdreamhome
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.