powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Should I add crown molding to tops of ugly cabinets??
jenniruthjames
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Help! I need to update my new kitchen. Do you think i should add crown molding to tops before painting? I would like to paint & antique them white, but I don't think the black appliances will go with? Also want to paint walls & new countertops. Ceiling is cathedral.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creeser
If you're going with an antique white and a more traditional look, I think it would look nice to have the crown molding. New hardware will add a lot to the look of the cabinets as well. Having black appliances with the antique white would stand out too much. Another option would be to stain them a dark coffee color and keep the black appliances.
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:29AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I can't tell for sure from the pictures but it appears there is a soffit above most of the cabinets. Is this correct? If so, then there is not enough room between the top of the doors and the soffit to install a crown. If it is an illusion in the picture, then yes, install them before painting. A nice cove crown would look good with the simple lines of the cabinets.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 4:34AM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
The antique white might be too much of a stark contrast between the cabinets and appliances. I agree with Creeser that crown should be added too! What about instead of white going with a creamy light beige or a light taupe color?
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:37AM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 4:40AM
Nancy Hehmann
I think a creamy white would look good with black appliances!
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 5:11AM
jenniruthjames
I love having someplace to get advice! Deborah, it is an illusion. There is not a soffit. The ceiling is cathedral or pitched (not sure of correct term). (See new pic) Thanks for helping. I am also going to do another post pics of living & dining. It's an odd but cool house.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 6:47AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Wonderful. Go for the crown then. It will add so much to the look.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 7:33AM
PRO
Stoneshop
Yes, I would definately add the crown molding. It really gives some extra presence, and it is a beautiful architectural detail.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 7:43AM
PRO
Dytecture
I am voting for not putting crown molding above the upper cabinets as the entire kitchen looks quite clean and minimal. Not crazy about the light color around the door inserts.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 7:51AM
PRO
STUDIO MB
No crown. It's a clean look but do add stainless steel hardware, will make a huge difference/
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 7:55AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi jenniruthjames!
What kind of surface is on the walls behind your cabinets? From the photo you just posted, it looks like there is an large blank space above your sink. Have you considered redoing the backsplash? You could extend whatever surface you choose up into that area to make it feel more finished. A beautiful glass tile could add a lot to this cool kitchen!
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 7:57AM
jenniruthjames
Dy, the home is 70's modern, so no crown might be way to go. I am planning to tile backsplash. Thanks everyone!!
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 8:21AM
tamirc6
If you want a more traditional style definitely put the crown molding up and new hardware. If you like a more contemporary leave off the crown molding and add stainless/brushed nickel hardware
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 9:47AM