Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Sliding Glass Door Curtains
nlmackay
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi - I'm in the process of buying new curtain panels for my home. Previously I only had panels up on these two windows. Should I add some type of curtain to the slider? If so, how should I do so? Would it look weird to add a curtain rod above the slider? The ball finials on the end would be pretty much touching the ball finials on the rods above the windows. Should i leave the slider w/ no curtains?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
If there is no need for privacy, I'd have the 2 curtains as you had (or no curtains). Sometimes curtains on the end like you have look cute tied back a bit and facing one another:
January 11, 2013 at 3:41PM   
ebonydiva
I like the suggestion above.
January 11, 2013 at 3:42PM     
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
If there is no need for privacy you don't have an issue. On the other hand if you want to dress up the area it would be nice to have side panels on each side of the side window with one continuous rod across all of the windows it would look more finished. It is up to you whether to have enough fullness for functional drapes so you could pull them across to cover all the windows or just want decorative side panels.
January 11, 2013 at 3:45PM     
trasgorshek
If there is a need for privacy you could add a center rod over doors, take off the finials on side rods and line all three up. Treat the windows as a bay window and hang panels as you would a bay. For my slider I added a double rod with sheers behind that I close every night.
January 11, 2013 at 3:55PM   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
If you want privacy, it may be a better idea if you dress all the three windows with drapes and consider them as one bay window to create a more tidy and clean look.

Cheery Curtains has lots of nice curtains you may like. For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
January 11, 2013 at 7:46PM   
nlmackay
Thank you all for the suggestions! We don't have a need for privacy since our backyard is woods. It would be for only decorative purposes. In you opinions, should I leave it as is or would it look better to add some dummy panels to make the area look more finished? Thanks!
January 12, 2013 at 4:35AM   
TanCalGal
I think I would remove the shades and the curtain rods, but then I'd have to repaint walls or touch-up.

Then again, maybe I'd add curtain panels. I am only seeing a small part of the kitchen. I do not live there. I have no idea of how this nook area works nor its relation to the kitchen or other rooms and the outside wooded area.

The important thing is to inject yourself & family into the kitchen. Some might want a valence or curtains. Some might stencil over the slider. Some might hang stained glass trinkets on the windows. Some might add many bird feeders outside...
January 12, 2013 at 5:28AM   
trasgorshek
I would do dummy panels just because they add so much and do give the finished look. If you don't like them, you can always take them down and use in another room.
January 12, 2013 at 6:57AM