powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Update a 70's ranch exterior without totally disowning the era ??
hhbeverly
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are planning on adding a covered entry, either painting or mortar washing the brick, and unifying the windows (the right side has mullions - the left does not?). We might even add some stone accents if the budget allows. This home really needs to join this century without totally disowning its original one. Anyone have a similar house update that looks GREAT??
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bhelmore
A rounded roof over your entry way would break up the long expanse of your current roof and draw the eye to the main entrance. Also consider removing the shutters for a cleaner and more modern look after painting/staining the brick.

Bring your landscaping out farther from the house and curve the beds around the corners of the house and a curve from the house to the sidewalk to further soften the straight lines of the house.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 9:16AM
hhbeverly
Thank you for the suggestions and for pointing out the landscaping issue. We do plan on beefing up the landscaping to help the house relate better to the lot. And yes, the shutters are awful as is the iron thing.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 9:33AM
mmilos
I like the long horizontal roof line. I personally wouldn't add a covered entry.
I also like windows with mullions on these classic homes and I would make all the windows consistent.

I think the issues could be more easily and effectively addressed through new landscaping. Put a pair of urns with a tall evergreen to flank your front door. Hire a landscape designer to give ideas on a new landscape.

Larger sconces help make a statement. I would also remove the iron wall hanging from the brick...leave it plain and clean looking.

Don't use too warm of colors since your roof looks more like a cooler gray color. I think I'd paint the brick a clean, classic white. Then paint the windows black and maybe remove the shutters. A dark red or black front door is always classic.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 9:44AM
PRO
Banta Builders LLC
I would definitely recommend a Covered Entry, or a couple of strategically placed Dormers on top, to break up that Rancher feel & to lift your eyes & 'raise' the house.

With Painted brick, you could go more towards a Greek Revival feel, if you really kicked out the Covered Entry with some appropriate looking columns. Just some thoughts! Best of Luck!
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 10:39AM
John Seiffert
Keep windows with grids, paint windows, fascia and soffit green/ grey color. Paint gutters very dark green/ black or replace with copper and let patina build over time. Black shutters and black front door. Simple gable end for enclosure with beaded clapboards, to be painted white or trim color with large simple round columns one on either side.

If done this way curb appeal will go way up.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 12:12PM
John Seiffert
Landscaping advice above is sound.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 12:13PM
Dar Eckert
Chimney Corners Remodel
Additions & Renovations
Scenic Drive Project
Fisher Road Residence

Some photos of ranch style houses. Check out the entrances low flatter roofs. It would be nice to add a wider door with sidelight also update lights next to house. Nix the shutters.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 12:48PM
PRO
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
I love your house as is. We need to preserve a bit of history. I think a landscape such as the attached is all that would be needed to enhance its curb appeal .
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 2:47PM
sandkshouse
If you want to do a covered entry, that is fine. But I'd say landscaping would be on the top of my list. Some nice beds and a few Japanese Maples would blend the house to the land more.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 2:53PM
patriciarhall
consult with a landscape design professional for the best outcome!
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 3:04PM
barnettcj
I would reconsider painting the brick - seems like a good idea until you have to repaint again and maintain it. I think the suggestions regarding landscaping enhancement, larger sconces, getting rid of the walk hanging, and maybe repainting the trim and shutters are sound. Do atleast the landscaping and sconces first then decide how you feel...
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 5:27PM
bhelmore
Actually, staining your brick - if you want to change the color - is the best and easiest way to go. It lasts for years and never bubbles or peels. Ask around and you'll find it an inexpensive alternative to paint.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 5:39PM