Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living room paint/carpet
Melissa Walker
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am working on a new living room design. I need suggestions for other wall paint colors and color/design/texture for an area rug. I don't have children, but have one dog and one cat.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Aggie Purvinska
I am leaning towards an Ivory rug here, but may not be practical. The wall color could lighten up a little, too...

[houzz=Pavilion Gray (#242) Farrow and Ball]

[houzz=Braid-Textured Rug]
January 10, 2013 at 12:03pm   
Norma Sassone
wHITE LEATHER SOFAS; ORANGE AND GRAY STRIPED RUG
January 10, 2013 at 12:24pm     
Melissa Walker
@AggieDesigns - Here's a rough idea of what it looks like with your suggestions. The curtains seem to get lost with this wall color. Your thoughts??
January 10, 2013 at 1:00pm     
Melissa Walker
@Norma Sassone - I already purchased the sofas and the curtains, so I have to work with those. The sofas are a dark steel grey color (almost black). I do love the white leather, though.
January 10, 2013 at 1:02pm   
decoenthusiaste
How about something like one of these instead of the coffee table in your illustration? It would bring in a bit of white leather. Would like to see some black in a chandelier too. If you decide to switch to another accent color the chandy can stay as a permanent fixture.You can still get the red shade with an arc lamp.
Long Island Mansion home
Europa White Leather Ottoman
Indoor 4-Light Chrome/Crystal/Metal Bubble Shade Chandelier
Tuxedo Chandelier
Indoor 4-light Chrome Antique Bronze Chandelier
Lantern Arc Floor Lamp CB2
January 10, 2013 at 1:10pm   
Aggie Purvinska
That looks very much me, lol.

I like it :)

but you could do a bolder rug...

[houzz=
]
January 10, 2013 at 1:10pm   
PRO
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
I would go with white couches, and a solid color rug that's a dramatic loud color......that would look great!
January 10, 2013 at 1:26pm   
Melissa Walker
Ok, I LOVE the black chandelier, orange floor lamp and the bold rug with the lighter wall color!
Check it out! :)
I tried the white leather ottoman and did not like it with the rest of the decor.

Any other suggestions for a table and how about different colored pillows??
January 10, 2013 at 2:07pm     
Norma Sassone
Ok, since you already have the charcoal grey sofas, I agree that you should have a lighter color or bright color rug underneath, and lots and lots of bold color pillows on the sofa. Maybe the valance could be white too. How about white crown molding as well? a couple of cantelivered modern lamps as well...
January 10, 2013 at 2:12pm   
Norma Sassone
here are some floor lamps and the rug - i see you have one but I think they should bew on both sides.
January 10, 2013 at 2:16pm   
Norma Sassone
FAbulous modern abstract art both sides of window.
January 10, 2013 at 2:20pm     
Melissa Walker
Would a blue/teal rug work with this??
I'm not sure about the white valances...
I'm not crazy about the magenta/pink color in art or the 1 pillow.
Do you have other artwork ideas?
January 10, 2013 at 3:05pm   
Melissa Walker
white valances etc
January 10, 2013 at 3:12pm   
Norma Sassone
yeah one of the paintings is definitely enough! A white fluffy rug maybe? An abstract on one side and a starburst clock on the other?
January 10, 2013 at 3:24pm   
Melissa Walker
ok, I've ended up here... what am I missing?? The last multicolor rug was too busy and the white cowhide seems off. I feel like there should be more blue/purple to tie things together. Maybe I am completely off here??
January 10, 2013 at 5:05pm     
Melissa Walker
I like the darker color scheme overall and don't mind punches of color. Pinks are not my favorite. I like oranges, blues, purples.
January 10, 2013 at 5:08pm     
galinamoroz
Do you mind sharing what program your using? i love it!
January 10, 2013 at 5:09pm   
Melissa Walker
Here are a couple more with different rugs...
January 10, 2013 at 5:13pm     
Melissa Walker
@galinamoroz... Thanks! :) I use Adobe Photoshop CS6.
January 10, 2013 at 5:15pm   
Natalie
Hi---that rug was too busy? Did you take remove all but the two pillows you have in the first photo? I think you need pattern and color on the floor to balance the space. I wouldn't be too concerned yet about pillows. I do like the coffee table. I'll go rug shopping...
January 10, 2013 at 5:17pm   
Natalie
The rug on the left is definitely better than the one on the right... I like your silver lamp better than the orange one... Too many pops of color.
January 10, 2013 at 5:18pm     
MG Mack
I'd do some kind of grouping with the motorcycle print.
January 10, 2013 at 5:27pm   
Melissa Walker
Here it is. I don't hate it... just a bit too floral for my taste. :)
January 10, 2013 at 5:27pm     
Natalie
Found a pillow that might pull it together. Omit the pink/orange/green pillow and toss in a set of these. Let's see how it looks with those rugs. :)
January 10, 2013 at 5:36pm   
Natalie
Hi---OK, too floral, but that balance is what is needed in that space. Do you notice how the walls do not look as dark/heavy with the rug? I'm going to browse for rugs...
January 10, 2013 at 5:39pm     
MG Mack
I like your first rendition best so far. Perhaps add a side table/simple console with sleek white pottery/sculpture/vases for a streamlined grouping. I'd like to see striped pillows...fine stripes...black, orange, red, blue and white maybe? How about a simple rug...
January 10, 2013 at 5:43pm     
Natalie
?
January 10, 2013 at 5:50pm     
Melissa Walker
Give me a bit and i'll try all those! Muchas gracias!!! :)
January 10, 2013 at 5:56pm     
MG Mack
I think you need to somehow bring the drapes into the rest of the room...I can't find the pillows I had in mind...I'll keep digging. ;)
January 10, 2013 at 5:57pm     
Melissa Walker
@Maureen McClintock - I like the colors there! ...and I agree about the curtains.
January 10, 2013 at 6:05pm     
Natalie
? Out with the bright saturated and into more muted, rich hues. Have no idea if this appeals to you, but wanted to throw it out there. :)
January 10, 2013 at 6:18pm     
Melissa Walker
Ok, I went through all of the artwork, pillows, rugs etc. and came up with what I liked best at this point. I love the jellyfish painting! Though they're not exactly perfect, the black/white pillows did alot to tie in the curtains. The other painting is one I've had on one of my Pinterest boards. I also added a table lamp with black shade. I can easily change the shade color. Thoughts?? I'm still at a loss for the area rug... sigh.
January 10, 2013 at 6:46pm     
Natalie
Ohhhh Yessssssssssssss I ♥ this...
GORGEOUS!!!!
That last rug didn't work for you eh? It looked so good on my end.
Let's go hunt for pillows...
January 10, 2013 at 6:50pm   
MG Mack
Definitely more cohesive. Can you switch the lamps? What about a colorblocked rug or maybe texture? Rag rug or faux fur if you're feeling gutsy? :)
January 10, 2013 at 7:05pm   
Melissa Walker
I switched the lamps. Do you like them better like that?
What do you think about these b/w pillows?
I'll search for some rugs...
January 10, 2013 at 7:13pm     
Melissa Walker
room
January 10, 2013 at 7:13pm     
Natalie
These are quite different and beautiful---Unique...
January 10, 2013 at 7:14pm     
Melissa Walker
oooh, I LOVE those pillows...
January 10, 2013 at 7:20pm     
galinamoroz
if it was me i would add green maybe. solid rug. love the standing lamp. how about two lighter gray chairs standing next to eachather. keep the orange blue art and try adding a room devider on the other side just for the looks.

for the green about about real or silf fiddle leaf tree? they are kind of spendy but i think its worth it.
January 10, 2013 at 7:20pm     
Natalie
If you like more BOLD pattern---
Happy you like those pillows. They are Beautiful! Never seen them before. I'll send you over a link...
January 10, 2013 at 7:28pm     
Melissa Walker
fur rug??
January 10, 2013 at 7:28pm     
MG Mack
Hmmm...nope. lol Well maybe. It depends. Now we're kind of losing the more formal look that you had in the beginning. Though it does look comfy! I like the lamps switched for balance. I think the pillows are a bit too whimsical, IF you want a more formal stream-lined look and feel. Again, it's about you and what you're going for. The drapes are quite stately and formal. It all depends on what you want the room to be.I think it can handle the switch in artwork but if you add science inspired pillows and more whimsical touches it will be a completely different room. And obviously you can go in any direction you please because it's important that you love everything in the room. ;)
January 10, 2013 at 7:35pm   
Melissa Walker
Thanks so much for those links!
Here's a bit more... tables didn't mesh so well. I'll have to look more.
Anyone have thoughts about the chairs I added? Are they too much?
I like cozy, not too formal. It is a living room that will be used to hang out/watch tv.
January 10, 2013 at 8:42pm     
Melissa Walker
Amazing what different perspectives can do to transform a space! I really love where it's going everyone!!! Thank you! :D
January 10, 2013 at 8:44pm     
MG Mack
If you're going for cozy and eclectic, I do like the rug then. :D What you want it to feel like when you walk in or hang out in it makes all of the difference.
January 10, 2013 at 9:11pm     
Natalie
It's coming along---I LOVE it too...
Here are a few more chairs-nothing wrong with those you have pictured, but the gray one sort of blends into the walls/drapery hues... Anyway, here you are---I'll stop in tomorrow and see how it's evolved... Good Luck!
[houzz=][houzz=Chelsea Wing Chair][houzz=White Eddie Accent Chair, White][houzz=Kalinda's Chair][houzz=Nexus Swivel Chair]
January 10, 2013 at 9:39pm     
galinamoroz
Love the chair idea, but would have to agree with Natalie white once would look really goo there. are you planing on keeping both of the paintings? or one of them?
January 10, 2013 at 9:49pm     
Natalie
I think both the paintings work well here-hopefully they will stay. I was wondering if one valance should span across for both windows---might be something to play around with. I just showed my hubby the before picture of this room and how it has evolved---he said WOW-Beautiful-I love it! There's a man's point of view. :)
January 10, 2013 at 10:14pm     
mmilos
Another man's perspective:
Agree with one valance on the close windows...and just have two fuller drape panels on the ends.
Lose one of the art pieces. I think the two you have are too matching in scale and looks crowded with the windows.

Edit the design.
January 10, 2013 at 10:59pm     
MG Mack
More furnishings to play with...
January 11, 2013 at 5:38am   
MG Mack
and...
January 11, 2013 at 5:40am   
Natalie
I agree about the valances, but the art-not so much. The art is hung too high in the photo---needs to be tweaked in reality... The "center" of a painting/picture/art should hang approx. 57"-60" from the floor.
January 11, 2013 at 5:43am   
MG Mack
January 11, 2013 at 5:45am   
Melissa Walker
I appreciate all of your comments/suggestions. I changed the 2-window valance, went from 4 to 3 curtains on center windows, scaled down & moved the paintings, and added a white leather chair. Will try some different chairs now. It felt like a Tang explosion with the orange table (though I like it!). Other suggestions for tables? Did I move paintings enough? Are both paintings really too much?? What do you suggest as an alternative and which one would I remove? I love them both. :)
January 11, 2013 at 6:44am     
Natalie
The woman can be raised slightly as it is longer and narrower than the other painting. I do not like the chair---it does nothing for the space. The gray looked better. :) The legs of this chair are similar in tone to the table so it really takes away, rather than accentuate...
January 11, 2013 at 7:03am   
Melissa Walker
white fabric chair & painting slightly raised
January 11, 2013 at 7:07am     
Natalie
♥ it!!!
January 11, 2013 at 7:08am     
Natalie
I'd like to see what this pillow looks like in place of one of the colored pillows---whichever of the two looks best to you-you decide... Maybe just add it on the left sofa---leave the right as is..
January 11, 2013 at 7:11am     
Melissa Walker
Will do this afternoon, for sure... thank you so much, Natalie! Have a spectacular day! :)
January 11, 2013 at 7:20am     
Natalie
You're welcome Melissa... You have a FantaBulous day as well...
January 11, 2013 at 7:21am   
Natalie
Did a real slop job on this but it looks right... Check back later in the day... :)
January 11, 2013 at 7:34am   
Natalie
///
January 11, 2013 at 7:46am   
Norma Sassone
Coming together Natalie! You know so much of this is a matter of personal taste. I love the white wing chair; I'd do a matching set just like the sofas. LOVE the fluffy white rug and the photo pillows. I still think a cool vintage with some wood and stainless steel color sunburst clock instead of the woman picture ( keep the one on the left) would liven things up and tie in to the wooden table. Be sure it is plenty BIG to balance the painting.
January 11, 2013 at 8:24am   
MG Mack
I like the leather chair better...but agree the legs should be black. I like the change in the drapes Honestly, I think the artwork is the only thing you see. Everything else kind of fades from focus. I like the painting on the right but maybe for a different room? The outer space pillows seem more appropriate for a boys' bedroom or a den imho. Although they do match the painting on the left and as I said before, it's all about you I like the purple chair and miss the original orange floor lamp. I liked the style of the grey chair but agree that the color blended into the drapes and walls. If you like blues and purples why not try a new color pallet rather than sticking with the orange? I think black and white prints would be a nice addition. It's tough to read what direction you want to take though. :)
January 11, 2013 at 8:28am   
mmilos
I would remove the art with the woman on the right and move the orange abstract over to where the woman art is now. Leave the corner wall blank.

Put a larger floor lamp in the corner.
January 11, 2013 at 8:49am     
galinamoroz
I would also remove the women picture and move the orange one to the other side and put a fiddle leaf tree in that corner. C
January 11, 2013 at 10:03am   
Melissa Walker
Ok, I like the "mellower" pillow colors.
How about art deco mirror on left wall, other painting moved to right side, one purple & one white chair? Thoughts on coffee table?
What kind of lamp would you put on left side? I REALLY like the "gear" lamp. :)
I like some masculine touches (specifically, motorcycles are my passion).
January 11, 2013 at 10:15am     
Natalie
Hi---I didn't even notice the gear lamp-it disappeared. :) Try this mirror instead. The coffee table and side table are too similar, one needs to be changed... Are you set with the purple and orange hues---100% sure you want to keep both in this space?
[houzz=
]
January 11, 2013 at 10:52am     
January 11, 2013 at 10:53am     
MG Mack
Motorcycle accents...I looked for a motorcycle chain mirror...Maybe you could have one made? Maybe too industrial?
January 11, 2013 at 11:24am   
MG Mack
or
January 11, 2013 at 12:02pm   
Melissa Walker
Ooooohh, VERY cool!!! I will pop those in tonight. :) Thx!
January 11, 2013 at 12:15pm     
nettiegreene
In each re-do pic of ur room..the one thing i notice is that the length of drapes r too long..maybe shorten drapes and i agree w/ an earlier comment of using muted hues as accent colors.:)
January 11, 2013 at 1:03pm   
Natalie
The room looks very different from how it first started out. Not sure which direction you're going in now. Keep us posted and Good Luck!
January 11, 2013 at 7:15pm   
jdittmar327
i liked the picture with the woman better than the mirror
January 11, 2013 at 7:28pm   
caricampbell
I love the addition of the chairs and that rug. I liked the first set of chairs best. Definitely like the singular valance better, too! I liked the artwork of the woman better than the mirror as well- there is color one side and none on the other which makes it look imbalanced to me.
January 11, 2013 at 7:45pm     
Natalie
Yes, there is no color in that corner---that was a suggestion someone made-remove the woman, switch the painting to the right and leave the corner blank with a lamp. Hmmm, maybe a colored lamp?
January 11, 2013 at 8:08pm   
More Discussions
I need help! I want to incorporate purple and grey in this room!
I'm moving soon and the place I am moving to originally...
Kitchen transformation assistance?
I had posted about a week a go asking for advice on...
Help Please!!
My kitchen, dining room, and living room are all open...
Privacy...and other questions
Not sure what to do here. This is my side door to the...
Fireplace Disaster!
Hi everyone! I am a second year law student with a...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.