Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Crack In A Concrete Driveway
sunsmile
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a huge ugly crack in our driveway running through the 2 slabs by our front door (see picture below). It's been patched, but it doesn't make it look any better.
Replacing the whole driveway doesn't make sense - it's a huge l-shaped driveway, and nobody can guarantee that the new concrete won't crack either.
We thought of replacing just those 2 slabs that have the crack - but then the issue is that the new slabs will be much lighter than the rest of the driveway.

What do you think is better - having the crack or the 2 lighter slabs? Is there another solution that doesn't involve replacing the whole driveway?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kira Mullins
You could try a textured epoxy paint.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 1:09PM
PRO
Kensington Construction
You could replace the two sections of concrete and leave it awhile to see how it looks compared to the rest of the driveway. It you're still not happy, you can stain the entire driveway.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 1:20PM
PRO
N.Fl.Concrete Flooring & Staining Inc
Concrete overlay using cracks to resemable large flagstone or slate ..it all concrete
3 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:08PM
cypress
Matching materials exactly is usually a problem. Why not replace the 2 slabs with a contrasting material? How about using the same type brick that is on the home itself, you could have the replacement slabs either all brick or concrete slabs trimmed with the brick. Separating the new from old with brick might work and not call attention to different "shades of grey"!
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 2:24PM
carol02
Hi, We r from Florida, and had the exact same problem. Tried to have cracks cut out and expoxied - short story it didn't work. We ended up installing pavers - problem solved! Yes, it was expensive, but pavers don't crack and if they get uneven they can be pulled up and relayed. Hopefully years in the future. Your cracks are not as bad as ours. Could you consider pavers (to match the house, or gray shades) just in front of the garage with concrete trim? If there are lots of crack in concrete in rest of driveway (also look at other driveways installed in your neighborhood at the same time) you need to consider long term solution as it will only get worse - voice of experience. : )
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 2:41PM
PRO
No what we do is use the cracks that you have by creating more cracks in a pattern then apply a concrete overlay over old concrete .yes the method that was used on your drive way never works because the earth is alway moving so the expoxy will only seperate as the crack be come wider...concrete does three things turns grey get hard and crack.but you prevent it bt appling more stress cuts or on exsiting cracked driveways or concrete making it crack where you want it to by adding cracks..
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:47PM
PRO
BI'STYLE PROJECT
THE CONCRETE CORK probably BECAUSE OF MOVEMENT OF MATERIAL FROM BELOW.must be investigated and solved IN THE FIRST PLACE. FOR THIS SHOULD BE ACCESS TO THE LAYER OF CONCRETE.I propose CUTTING OF CONCRETE ON THE crack DIRECTION CCA.30-40 CM TASARII OFF AND PLACING IN THE SPACE CUT THE ditch Metal or concrete.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:03PM
PRO
Thats a doable option..
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:08PM
PRO
Linda
You do not have to remove the entire section that cracked. You could have it cut out parallel to the existing joint line at the same distance inset from the edge of the step. Then, you would end up with a 4 foot (about) wide section leading to the step. That new concrete could be colored if you chose but should look OK regardless as long as the balance is right.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 8:24PM
nikitasmom
Great ideas. I will take Lindas and add that the 4 foot section could be either brick or made to match the steps.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:04PM
PRO
BI'STYLE PROJECT
brick,new color concret or metal
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 12:41AM
sunsmile
Linda - that's such a clever idea, I never thought about it! Thanks! That's something I'll definitely consider now. I don't know though - will it look weird when all the slabs are uniform big squares, and there'll be different size and color slabs by the entrance?
I'm attaching the Photoshop representation of Linda's idea and the picture of the bigger portion of the driveway. What would look better - replacing the whole 2 slabs, or cutting them and replacing the middle portion to line up with the step?
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 2:03PM
decoenthusiaste
Think about stripes like Linda suggested on both squares where the crack is. Maybe color them to match your trim and that particular slab will look like the landing for your home. Add some matching pots on the porch and it will all come together like it was designed that way.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 2:07PM
PRO
Center Stage Home Staging, LLC
I owned a concrete crack repair and design company for 18 years and I can tell you that the absolute best way to deal with cracks is to incorporate them into a design. An easy way is to take a 4 1/2 inch grinder with a masonry wheel and cut very shallow grooves into the rest of the concrete pad in a flagstone type design. Be sure to gently grind the rough edges inside the existing crack and fill the depth of the crack with paintable masonry caulk about 1/4 inch from surface. Then apply an opaque colored sealant to the surface of the entire driveway to achieve consistency in surface color. I have repaired and designed countless driveways in this manner and my customers were always more pleased with the result.
2 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 2:19PM
Marvin Mcghee
As center stage home staging stated .But here are a few photos of differnt option.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 2:25PM
olldcan
Make the cracks the start to a great design and Acid Wash those slabs!!!!
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 2:36PM
Marvin Mcghee
I suggested the same we just did a application like that as shown in photo
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:06PM
PRO
Center Stage Home Staging, LLC
Gorgeous. Sorry, I didn't see updated photos yesterday, I apologize. Impressive work, looks great
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 9:41AM
Marvin Mcghee
Thanks
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 9:43AM