Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Big open space
pauli12
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want to make this room more deliberate and focal. When it was decorated for Christmas I liked it much better maybe because more stuff was in it and it needs it.
Specifically, I will need furniture..... couches, maybe 2 and would like to make the areas to the right of the fireplace by the windows into a cozy area not related to watching TV. I think I would like it better if it were more compartmentalized and not so open and lacking in definition.
I have just put things somewhere for the time and nothing is in stone. Looking for any and all ideas and thank you for your help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yvonnecmartin
A floor plan with dimensions would help.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 1:01PM
decoenthusiaste
That chandy makes me think the window area is for dining or perhaps a family game table. Just be sure not to buy big black leather sofas. Can be a bear to work with and always look like FFFaux furniture to me, unless they are way high dollar!
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 1:17PM
mmilos
The room looks funny with all the different chandelier styles. Pick one larger style chandelier or fan and use in all corners.

It's hard to give furniture suggestions without a floorplan. Draw up a floorplan of your room and post it. Indicate all entrances, windows and dimensions and what you plan to use the space for. I assume dining, TV viewing, lounging, reading, etc.

Light turquioise couches could look beautiful.

I would instead start by looking for a couple large area rugs in a style you like to anchor the dining and living areas.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 1:22PM
decoenthusiaste
I don't recall seeing three chandy styles in one room. Two, yes. Can you put the two small ones over the island or peninsula and eliminate your least favorite of the two big ones?
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 1:33PM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I agree with decoenthusiaste because the room is so big and open having all of the lights hanging down really competes for attention, the small crystal ones are too small for the space, if you can move the one in the kitchen into the dining room and then hang the two smaller ones over the island that would work better, then you can hang flush mount or semi flush mount lights that coordinate with them but don't compete.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 1:49PM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
If you don't want to have to call an electrician and patch holes you can hang them off of a track. The track comes in 2', 4', 6', 8', and 12', the electrical connection is made in your existing box and then you attach the fixtures to a little adapter that snaps into the track, voila problem solved! If you don't like the track idea there are several lighting vendors that make surface mounted canopies specifically for hanging multiple pendants from one outlet, Progress lighting, Kichler lighting and Quorum lighting all make them.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 1:59PM
kinz9999
Love this space, the couch you described sounds beautiful. i would put a couple chairs by the windows and a table with a reading lamp on it, or a game table of some sort. I would also get a couple of big rugs to break up the space. Can you paint? Maybe an accent wall or all the walls in a gray shade. Have you ever thought of getting a room dividing screen, that might be cool too. Good Luck!
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 2:14PM
judianna20
I am assuming your home is older and walls have been taken down?

Upon entering the front door, the area to the right would become my dining room. I would place the table horizontally to the windows. Over that I would hang the black chandy. I would remove the two little crystal ones and replace with recessed lighting, on dimmers. I would repaint the ceiling in a flat finish as it is way too shiny.

To the left of the front door would be a nice area for your desk (moved under the window) and a comfortable upholstered chair that could work double duty: as a desk chair and a spot to read.

Where your Xmas tree is will be where the sectional goes, with the chaise running under the two windows next to the fireplace with a great, round, versatile coffee table Keep the t v where it is, but put it on a swivel arm, so you can adjust it to face the sectional.

Fan over island. Sell the two little chandies and the other one on ebay.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 2:44PM
PRO
Tina Barclay
I would start with a space plan to determine furniture location and sizes. Then from there select some area rugs and pull colors from the rug to start pulling together textiles. That is how I always approach a client project. And I do agree, too many different chandeliers. J-boxes in the ceilings can be moved and then have a handyman patch the holes and paint.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 3:22PM