Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint color dilemma soft griege with "ikea white"
mom929
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello. I'm hoping you wonderfully creative people can help me out. I am in the process of updating my master bedroom. It is a small room, only 12 x 15, and dark, with only northeast facing windows with big trees outdoors.

I wanted a soft grey beige for the walls and crisp white trim for a peaceful look and to not compete with some lovely colorful artwork. We also decided to demolish the hideous brass and mirror reach in closets and put in a wall of ikea closet systems. Here is my dilemma. The ikea closets we chose are called bergsbo pax and while they look nice and white in the huge warehouse store, when I got them home I found that the doors are more of an ivory color than true white. The closest color I can find is Martha Stewart Talc.

I had planned to paint the room BM Clay Beige. It is not too dark and looks great against bright white trim. But against the ikea cabinets there doesn't seem to be enough contrast. I'm afraid to go too dark on the walls because the room gets so little natural light.

Do I try to match the trim paint to the ikea doors or ignore the door color and stick to the bright white that is already on the ensuite bathroom trim and the door to the room? Do I go for a different greige for the walls for more contrast? I do want to stay neutral on the walls. I'm attaching some links so you can see what I'm thinking of.

Chalet Interiors This is a bedroom painted in the Benjamin Moore Clay Beige that I thought I wanted for the walls.

Niesz Vintage This is a room with the Ikea closets like what we are planning.

Also the Martha Stewart Talc paint that is close to the real color of the closet doors. http://www.homedepot.com/buy/glidden-duo-8-oz-msl226-martha-stewart-living-talc-interior-paint-sample-gld-msl226.html#.UO9KSeRqT84

And the ikat fabric I'm planning on using for roman blinds. http://metrohousedesigns.ecrater.com/p/16408266/10-yard-bolt-pindler-dunkirk-ikat

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Paint the way you originally envisioned it and then repaint the IKEA doors if they aren't working for you.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 3:16PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Don't ignore the Ikea color. You should layer on it with various shade of white. This look can be great and a lot more interesting than matching whites. It is a delicate balancing act though. So many people think an all white room is easy. To do it well takes a lot of work and talent
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 3:18PM
mom929
How would you suggest I go about using the ikea color as a jumping off point? Would I pick a color that is close to it on a paint strip and then use the other colors on the same strip? Can I go a bit more beige or more grey? Any other tips?
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 3:38PM
PRO
PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
Hi mom929,

My standard rule when using whites is, I either match them or go far enough away so that you can tell they are definitely different colors. In other words, so it doesn't appear you tried to match them and were just off. The IKEA photo you reference used a bright white trim with those yellowy-white cabinets. If you are OK with that look, do the same. Personally, though, I feel like the bright white on ALL other room surfaces, plus the aqua wall, only makes the cabinets look MORE yellow. So maybe you can "cheat" and vary the trim color in the bedroom ever so slightly: add a tiny drop of gold or yellow to the formula so at a glance, it appears the same as the trim in surrounding rooms, but is a bit warmer next to the cabinet.

Also, on the Clay Beige color - if you are happy with how the color looks against the cabinets, you can simply amp up the contrast by having the paint store add a bit more pigment. For example, they can shoot the Clay Beige formula at 110% or 120%. It should produce a deeper tint without being as dark as the next color down that strip.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 3:52PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Basically yes, You want to find the tone and hue of the color. Than you can blend different shades lighter and darker of that color family. As well you can use different finishes. Satin, flat, egg shell, semi-gloss or high-gloss these will give different looks to the same color. It is all about texture and shades of the same color layered. In fabrics, wallpaper, carpets, rugs and linens etc.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:25PM
ebonydiva
I can't really help you but I LOVE your bed!! (That's all)
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:39PM
mom929
What would you suggest I use on the ceiling?
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 11:35AM
dmotti
where did you get your bed??? I am LOVING it!!!!
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 11:54AM
mom929
That's not my bed, I just pulled this picture off of Houzz to show the paint color I am thinking of. The original photo was posted by Chalet Interiors. People did question where the bed came from and no definitive answer was posted, but someone else said that Restoration Hardware has something similar. Hope this helps. Sorry, for any confusion.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 12:02PM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
When I look at the Martha Stewart Talc on my monitor, it appears to have a green undertone. If that is the true undertone of the Ikea cabinets, then look at Sherwin Williams SW7531 Canvas Tan or SW7532 Urban Putty for your wall color. Just a slightly different tone than the BM Clay Beige but will give overall same depth of color. I would try to keep the trim color the same as it is now and change it only if you have to. Do it in stages (meaning walls first) and then if it still needs a change, then change the trim color out. Does Ikea have samples that you can take to a paint store and have them match the closet doors if you decide to change the trim color? Most stores can do a custom color match, but need something to go by.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 12:30PM
dmotti
ok, thanks! sounds about right...looks like RH!
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 1:37PM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.