powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Last question on this subject - Do these clash?
kayanee
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I won't ask this again, but do either of these fabrics (for a chair) go with this bold rug? Thank you so much.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aja Mazin
Personally, I do not care for the rug.

However, the fabric would work, but I would prefer a fabric with more of the blue.
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:01PM
lefty47
HI -- Aw NO -- like the fabric but not the rug .
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:06PM
gullybansal
Yeah... Sorry to join the rug bashing, but t really is not pleasant.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 4:09PM
Natalie
Yes, as long as the wall color has a cool undertone to it. BUT you can do better. :)
Like these rugs more---they have pattern, but not as bold as the zebra. The fabric has some terrific colors which allows for numerous rug options-shop around, you'll find something that will accentuate it and not compete with it. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck! http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/clearancerugs/rugs-usa-kodari-drunk-33605/multi/200BCN33605-570710.htmlhttp://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/oriental-weavers-sphinx-kharma-890x4/multi/132KHAR890X4-990122.htmlhttp://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/milliken-canyon/dk-red/279751800213-780109.html
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:22PM
Manon Floreat
I think the rug is fabulous! With the right furnishings it's the foundation for a great room. I don't care for the fabric you've chosen to go with the area rug. Although, you could make it work if you love it! Like, Aja, I would like to see more blue in the fabric. Take a look at how these work with the rug. From Lewis and Sheron and Schumacher.
18 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:41PM
designideas4me
yes they clash
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:44PM
PRO
Decorating Den Interiors
I agree with all the others, love the fabic, but choose another rug.
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:45PM
9 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 5:08PM
Aja Mazin
I agree with Natalie.

Coral with blue.
2 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 5:23PM
kayanee
Manon Floreat, I LOVE that one in the center, do you happen to know what it is? I love the rug too, and fortunately or unfortunately, however you look at it, I have already purchased the rug, not the fabric. It really is prettier in person than it looks in this picture, the lighter stripes are a cream and the blue is soothing....it's not so "in your face" in person.
4 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 5:45PM
Aja Mazin
I love this fabric.
7 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 6:17PM
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 6:39PM
ahillswife
Hi! I like both your chairs and rug, just not together. One style is traditional, the other is contemporary. There is absolutely nothing wrong with an eclectic look as long as the colors compliment each other or coordinate with each other. I would like to suggest a rug that is grayish blue or something more toned down to go with the chairs. Or, if you prefer bright colors in your home go with the blue rug and some bold complimentary colors and patterns more similar to your chairs. As listed above. And remember if you are in doubt, typically light, neutral stripes and other simple patterns can usually work. So you are half way there! The patterns look good together. The colors just need some adjusting. I think the pottery barn gabrielle rug would match well with your chairs. Hope this helps!
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 6:59PM
kayanee
I love that one with the rooster, do you know it's name?
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 7:00PM
Aja Mazin
kayanee has already purchased the rug
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 7:01PM
kayanee
I can see why I never went into design - I am horrible at seeing the vision. I fear a made a huge mistake in purchasing the rug first.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 7:14PM
englishaccent
I really don't have a problem with either the fabric or the rug. I say pull the blue out with a kidney pillow. I like Natalie's choices too, however I am sorry but not a fan of the Waverly, the formality is a little off. Here is a Robert Allen fabric I found and it's on this site somewhere but I can't put a name to it. Just that it's an electric fabric.
14 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 7:17PM
Sheila Steelman
Agree with most of the comments. You need more of the same blue in the fabric if you are set on that rug. The Waverly fabrics Aja posted would work then pull some of the other colors out for accents.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 7:19PM
englishaccent
Look, here's your cute rug being used. Maybe leather with a pillow of the fabric you love.
5 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 7:22PM
judianna20
With englishaccent on this…love the rug, but you need to let it be the focal point. Use the color for an accent wall.

4 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 7:28PM
englishaccent
Wait, I have one more fabric from www.housefabric.com callked Lollipop capri. It's kind of monochromatic but they are fun together. :)
9 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 7:31PM
Aja Mazin
kayanee,

I am so sorry if we made you regret your purchase.

It is really a great rug when seen on the floor with some perspective.

I think seeing a portion of the rug alone was a bit overwhelming.
3 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 7:33PM
abbshel
In the room pics above, where the rug is on the floor and the surrounding fabrics/ furniture are more solid ---- it looks great! The rug needs to be the focal point and not compete with busy fabrics. Let the rug speak for itself and use small patterns or creams for your coordinating colors.
6 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 7:39PM
kayanee
Thanks to you all, I just have such a hard time with decorating. I do like the rug, it's not something I would have normally bought, I usually stay very safe with neutral colors. It will be lying on top of dark hardwood floors. I would have normally just gone out and bought a deep brown sofa and chair to put on it, but there I go again, with browns like always!
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 7:47PM
Aja Mazin
Testing!!
5 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 7:58PM
Renee
I don't think you should compete either. What color is your furniture? That rug is artwork.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 8:09PM
apennameandthata
Yes. My kept trying to find the right blue in the brown fabric, and it was nowhere to be seen.

That does not mean that you do not have a good eye. Steve Jobs's recent biography shows how every creative process has some bad ideas along the way.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 8:17PM
momo12
The styles of the original two are too different
momo12
The colors work, just not the styles
apennameandthata
Another thing is, I think that these are the kind of questions that people with like answering. One prob to be aware of is that different monitors might give different people different perspectives.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 8:18PM
apennameandthata
Too, apparently brown (darker, I expect) and light (lighter, and, as opposed to cyan) blue is a classic combination. So you probs will be able to get something going here. Sounds to me like you know it does not work or else you would not ask.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 8:20PM
Aja Mazin
kayanee,

Please don't give up!

I so disagree that you must do neutrals or solids.

Boring!!

The fabric in the middle that you liked [and 6 other people liked] is by Sheron.

As posted by Manon Floreat.
6 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 8:48PM
Bonnie
I like both fabrics BUT not together...sorry. The blue in the rug is too bright to pair with the floral. Also, the rug seems kind of hip and new while the floral seems more traditional. Plus, I don't like the scale of the floral with that rug.
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 8:52PM
Manon Floreat
Hi kayanee. The name of the middle fabric is "Khantau Tree" and it's by Schumacher. More info can be found here:
http://www.fschumacher.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=173910

I don't think you made a mistake with the rug. You chose something that you love. Many of the most wonderful interiors begin with an inspiration piece. A piece that resonates with the owners. This rug can work beautifully - and we can help you!

In a previous post you mentioned that you like a French Country Shabby Chic (without all the white) look with dark furniture. Do you have other furnishings you'll be putting in the room? It might be helpful to see those, as they'll give us an idea of what other elements you're working with.
4 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 9:00PM
orangecamera
Teal and brown are very nice together. This room has a brown rug, but if you imagine your teal rug in its place, you can see how nice a brown sofa would look with it. You are comfortable with brown, and the teal is outside of your usual comfort zone. I applaud you for taking the leap. But don't feel like you have to completely jump off the cliff with color.
4 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 9:00PM
Aja Mazin
Manon Floreat,

Thank you!
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 9:34PM
anthip
I'm not a designer but I love that rug. Please don't regret it. I like the cleaner fabrics posted above - maybe the Khantau Tree or the last two Waverly ones that Aja posted - especially if they have a big print.

I love the rug with the tans and leather ware in the photo. Maybe something like one of these sofas and some Waverly fabric cushions?

And maybe an awesome armchair?

A really dark navy sofa might be nice if you didn't want the leather?

[houzz=
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 12:16AM
gbrose
yes they clash
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 1:23AM
apennameandthata
Like someone hinted, you could try a chocolate brown with the cyan/teal rug.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:58AM
Natalie
I did another search for you-this is what I've come up with. PLEASE, consider the background hue of that zebra rug when selecting fabrics. Certain colors will look "off" when paired with it. Even NEUTRALS... Good Luck! http://schindlersfabrics.com/Java_Ikat_Teal.html http://www.housefabric.com/Rowland-Teal-P90394C2259.aspx http://www.etsy.com/listing/80339342/teal-green-peacock-cut-velvet-upholstery
10 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 5:32AM
kayanee
I'm posting pictures of the pieces that I own and love and would like to incorporate into my new home, I'm about 6 months away from moving in but it's never too early to start. The floors will be a medium to dark hardwood (have not decided, suggestions on that will be appreciated as well). What I'm struggling with is types of couches and chairs and their colors or patterns - suggestions for wall color, fabrics for either chairs, curtain, pillows, etc. I would like to steer away from too much of a jungle theme, as I had in the past, but would love to retain these pieces, maybe what I'm envisioning isn't even possible! You tell me, I'm definitely not a designer. Below is the rug I just purchased(excuse the cats, they had to check it out when I unrolled it to take the picture). There are several furniture pieces I would like to keep - I must keep the round table, it was my great grandmothers, the tall shelf with the red back - the red color can be changed, I added that back. I love my ceiling fan, maybe I could work from the top down? I truly appreciate any and all help that is being given!! - It looks like I will need to continue the pictures in another message as this is only allowing me to attach 4
3 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 5:36AM
kayanee
The rest of the pieces I would like to keep are here.
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 5:38AM
Aja Mazin
Fantastic lamp!
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 5:41AM
kayanee
Natalie, I am really liking that peacock fabric!!!!
15 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 5:41AM
Aja Mazin
British Colonial!
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 5:44AM
kayanee
Aja, is that what I like? Is that what it's called? I like that peacock fabric above as well but ouch, it's $120 a yard! - Correction, $399 a yard...
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 5:48AM
Aja Mazin
Natalie,

Bespoke!

The third fabric looks a designer match!!!

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 5:51AM
Aja Mazin
kayanee,

That is the term I use.

It evokes memories of a historic time when the British occupied India.

Think Bombay Trading Company.
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 5:57AM
Aja Mazin
$299 IS FOR 2 PILLOWS,

Stunning PEACOCK Cut VELVET Fabric Pillows Custom Pair of 2 TURQUOISE Green Cream
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 6:05AM
Aja Mazin
How many yards do you need?
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 6:12AM
kayanee
I found the fabric on Ebay but you have to buy the full 10 yards at 1199.00 I'd prefer to just buy the finished pillows as there is no way I could afford to recover a beloved chair in that, I think it will require about 15 yds as it has a matching ottoman. Those pillows are cool, especially that middle one, are those on Etsy?
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 6:16AM
PRO
Eagledzines
My favorite by far.
4 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 6:17AM
Natalie
Yes---links are above... There are several to choose from in that shop. Have fun! :)
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 6:17AM
ahillswife
Hi Kayanee,

I noticed that you have purchased the rug, which is great. You now have decided what style is really yours. It looks like you like transitional rooms. A majority of the rooms at my house are transitional too. I see that you mentioned dark brown floors so I think the blue rug will look nice with your flooring. If you are going for a more transitional look and would like to incorporate in vintage furniture I would use the rug as a way to highlight your room and then add several complimentary touches such as coordinating pillows. I would keep your furniture traditional and the wall & window covering colors neutral if you would like a nice transitional look. If you are going for modern go with repeating 3 or 4 complimentary bold colors and patterns in the room.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 6:20AM
Aja Mazin
A chair and ottoman will not require 15 yds!

Remnants will show up on ebay and Amazon.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 6:20AM
Natalie
Thanks eagledzines!
I like all of the pillows---kayanee's furnishings would work well with this color combo. :)
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 6:22AM
kayanee
We can now add two peacock pillows in the mix, I just found the last two 20" x 20" ones on Etsy and I purchased them! YAY!!!!
12 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 6:30AM
kayanee
Is there any chance I could now use this fabric somewhere in a window treatment, since I now have the pillows above? And if so, does anyone know what this fabric could possibly be?
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 6:33AM
Aja Mazin
Northcott Peacock Paradise 2800M Packed Feathers Cotton Fabric ~ 11.00 per yd
4 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 6:34AM
Natalie
Yay---you found the pillows!!!
More eye-candy for you---something current and fresh and your furnishings would look right at home amongst the mix of things... :)
[houzz=
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 6:36AM
3 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 6:39AM
kayanee
Aja, that peacock fabric is beautiful as well!!! If I were to use that as window treatments, how would I use it? Full curtains seem like a lot.....what is current now? Are toppers out?
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 6:40AM
Aja Mazin
and
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 6:50AM
Aja Mazin
Toppers?

You could make a Roman shade valance or bundled box using foam board.
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 6:59AM
Aja Mazin
kayanee

I am so happy you scored the pillows!
The fabric now opens up a myriad of possibilities.

Quite sophisticated!

YAH! Natalie !!
GREAT FIND!
6 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 7:02AM
kayanee
Aja, I too, am very excited about the pillows! Now if I could just figure out what that myriad of possibilities is, I'll be doing great. People talk about transitional, cool undertones, complementing, etc, etc....these are the things that confuse me. If I go with a color palette working off of the rug and those pillows, I am guessing I will use dark brown, peacock blue/green (the color in the rug and pillows), chartreuse green, creams...????????? But I know me, I'll tend to start buying everything in just those colors and I will end up with too much of a good thing. Given this color palette what color would work on the walls??? I would love something in the gray family, is that possible?
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 7:13AM
Aja Mazin
And a few peacock feathers, Asian willow or bamboo in a brass vase.
http://www.bloomsandbranches.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BBPEA
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 7:19AM
marthadodson45
this is my first visit and I am enthralled! Great help. I will be remodeling my kitchen/keeping room/dining room into one large, casual space. I will definitely be back for help. Martha
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 7:23AM
Aja Mazin
kayanee,

What now for your chair?
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 7:23AM
kayanee
Aja, I have no clue. I have not purchased them yet. Ideally I would like something big and comfy, I'm afraid to go leather because of my two cats that do have claws. All along I thought I would be buying solid deep brown but now I don't think that's a good idea.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 7:34AM
Aja Mazin
Artwork from the Orient for your walls.

Grey is the new beige!
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 7:34AM
Aja Mazin
Ha ha!

I have this sofa, loveseat, and chair.

My cat prefers fabric!

And I could give lectures on the virtues of leather!

In fact, I did on another thread.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 7:40AM
kayanee
Those are gorgeous!! That is similar to what I had in mind for the color...So your cat doesn't claw the leather? If i thought I could get away with it, I would but my pair are so mischievous...and they do own scratching posts and they use them....but they also like a good stretch and scratch on my current sofa as well.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 7:47AM
Aja Mazin
No, T'ai does not claw leather.

He preferred the back of a prized Persian rug.I had rolled up.

grrrrrrrrr....

When I discovered it, I quickly purchased a scratching post for $30. that came with a money back guarantee.

It worked!
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 7:56AM
Aja Mazin
Is your current sofa leather?

No, he was never interested in leather.

But as I recall, I used saddle soap on all the pieces as soon as the set was delivered.
And I redo it periodically.

Maybe that is a deterrent..
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 8:08AM
Aja Mazin
Did you know Northcott Peacock Paradise has Gold metallic highlights?

I bet it is beautiful fabric.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 8:16AM
kayanee
No current sofa is fabric, a horrible loopy type weave that just leaves strings when they do their scratching. Even though it's only 2 years old it will never be moved to my new house. I've thought about going leather and just gluing those soft paws on their front claws, little stinkers!! Maybe they don't like the smell of the saddle soap, that is a thought.,,,hmmmm I am finding some great articles on British Colonial, I do believe I like that style. Gold metallic in that fabric would fit in nicely with British Colonial!
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 8:18AM
Aja Mazin
No wonder!

That is the type of fabric cats love!

Yes, I love British Colonial,

You must get a big trunk.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 8:21AM
kayanee
I have found that Peacock Paradise on Ebay.....I need it! Don't know where yet, or how much to buy.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 8:25AM
Aja Mazin
Never fear,
Ebay has plenty and there is more out there.

What style chir?
Posy a photo of the style.

I worked at an upholstery shop one summer.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 9:46AM
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 9:48AM
Aja Mazin
Northcott Peacock Paradise 2800M 62 Metallic Packed Feathers $9.80/yd

100% cotton, 44" wide Metallic
Ref # northcottpeacockparadise2800m-62

$9.80 per yard Quantity:
Quantity on Hand: 266 per yard
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 9:53AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It would not be a choice I would do for a client.
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 9:57AM
Sheila Steelman
I love the peacock fabric with the rug but use it in limited quantities. Roman shades or a chair and ottoman. Be careful of too much of a good thing.
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 10:27AM
houssaon
I would put pale blue on the wall: Palladian Blue Paint | Benjamin Moore, Wedgewood Gray HC-146 by Benjamin Moore or Jamestown Blue HC-148 Paint.

Your rug is not so bright blue as the feature picture. It is much more muted. I like the Sorensen Leather Sofa or the Chesterfield couch in a teal leather. You will have a lot of brown with the greatw wood pieces you already own.
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 10:39AM
Aja Mazin
You have the rug and the pillows.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 11:32AM
Aja Mazin
Look at the variety of fabrics combined.
http://poshsurfside.com/true-british-colonial-style
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 11:51AM
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 12:08PM
Aja Mazin
And you already have some cool pieces!

The fan, the lamp, tthe round table, the beautiful etagere, the basket,....

I know where you can buy a 5' giraffe for $59.99
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 12:29PM
kayanee
That is funny because I already own a 5' giraffe!! Guess I'll keep him. I found these today online and thought they might go nicely.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 9:43AM
Aja Mazin
marthadodson45,

Also check out this tread for combining LR with kitchen in this flavour.

Bonnie has a magnificient and large loft
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/294948
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 10:09AM
Aja Mazin
kayanee,

You have the rug, pillows and the furniture you posted.

So you still need fabric for a window treatment and two chairs[?]

What about a sofa?

What about your existing sofa ~ do you plan to recover it?

Remember, slipcovers are an element of British Colonial.

[Personally, I think the Northcott Peacock Paradise fabric would make a nice window treatment if used in moderation.]
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 10:22AM
PRO
The Drapery Company
Another thought for you, I see the rug as a contemporary piece, bold and defining. The fabric is a traditional / transitional style.. They don't work well together.

1. if you keep the rug, go with a solid burnt orange / terracotta solid or small geometric print. (even yellow/gold would work)

2. if you keep the fabric, go with a traditional rug.

Good Luck!
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 10:26AM
kayanee
Wow, her loft is fantastic! I love the look. Yes I have a 5' giraffe, bought him at the Round Top Antiques fair in Texas many years ago. His ear has been broken off several times when he's been bumped and he's fallen but I just keep gluing it back on. I need - fabric for the valance (thinking of the Northcott Peacock for that) and suggestions on the types of sheers to use underneath. Undecided on the chair or the sofa, I do not want to recover the sofa, I'm very seriously thinking of going leather like I said and hope the cats leave it alone....Not sure on the chair, I have a chair I love as far as shape and comfort and all the nailhead trim, it also has a big matching ottoman, hate it's current fabric. I'd probably like to recover that in something that coordinates but I tend to shy away from anything with too much print on the furniture. I like the suggestion above of burnt orange and I like that burnt orange fabric on the chair in one of my other threads where someone posted some chair pics.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 10:31AM
Aja Mazin
Use FabriTac by Beacon.

I USED IT IN COLLEGE TO HANG MINIBLINDS.

sorry.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 10:34AM
kayanee
I can sew, just never recovered a chair before. Looks like this is what I have so far...
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 10:52AM
kayanee
This is a WOW sofa for me! Just the sofa, not the cowhide ottoman.
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 11:04AM
Aja Mazin
What do you like about the sofa ~ the style or fabric?

Do you already own the orange paisley chair?

I am confused.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 11:29AM
PRO
LM Designers
Wow, a lot of opinions on this one. Do you already own the chair? I would choose a different rug, so many others that would look better.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 12:13PM
kayanee
I like the style of the sofa, I like the worn leathery look on the sides, I like the nail head trim. No, I do not own the orange paisley chair, I just like the fabric and was wondering if it blended with everything. If so, I would try to find something similar and recover my current chair.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 12:27PM
Aja Mazin
I do not care for the chair as I consider it too jolting.

Also, I think you have too may prints in your collage.

I understand what you mean when you say "the worn leathery look on the sides"

How about something like these
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 12:51PM
kayanee
oooohhh, I like the top right!
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 1:13PM
PRO
Eagledzines
The Etsy pillows and the Northcott Peacock Paradise 2800M Packed Feathers Cotton Fabric seem to be competing with one another.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:29PM
Aja Mazin
I think that is the direction you want to go,

It would be keeping true to British Colonial, as opposed to geometrics, ikats, etc.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:30PM
Aja Mazin
And a map on the wall!
3 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:34PM
Ramona
This is an interesting discussion with lots of good ideas. I would go with a blue sofa, not brown because you have so much brown in your furniture and accessories already. If you do go for a brown sofa, then put a shade of the blue/teal in the rug onto the walls. You can add lots of grey to the blue to tone it down. If you get a dark blue sofa, then you can go a grey blue on the walls.

The peacock pillows and the peacock fabric from Aja are wonderful together. You can add that Samoan Plantation fabric, but I wouldn't add any more strong patterns. You could add a small pattern to the mix, but then stop and just add the colors in the fabrics you already have. I would not put another color which is not in these fabrics in a major piece. I would put another color in an accent like a vase filled with flowers.

I think your rug was a bold and wonderful choice. I am loving zebra and am happy there is a lot of it available right now. I think you can mix your British Colonial style with lots of different fabrics; you do not need to do traditional fabrics with this look. We can change things up in the 21st century. I am combining contemporary fabrics with French Country. I don't like traditional French Country fabrics all that much and like different hues of the colors.

Even though I have just said you don't need to be traditional, linen will look fabulous with what you already have. You could do simple linen drapes in a cream and band them with one of these fabrics and then do a topper with that fabric over the drapes.

When you buy your sofa, start a new discussion with all your elements up to that point. Everyone will help you get to the next step.
3 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:35PM
kayanee
Thank you everyone! I sincerely appreciate all the help, this is very hard for me to vision, left on my own. I think there are so many good ideas on here, but I'm slowly able to piece a design board together - some things may go, some will stay (The big bold rug for one thing!!)
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:46PM
Aja Mazin
Geeeez...

how do you do a collage???
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:48PM
kayanee
Aja, I'm not very good at that, but I have just been copying and pasting into paint to make mine, that's the only way I know how....
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:54PM
Aja Mazin
I will give Paint a try.
The instructions for Corel Paint Shop Pro are too complicated.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:01PM
Aja Mazin
I am so interested in this thread because we have only done the dining room in our new home.

The nursery is a work in progress.

The rest of the rooms are odds and ends.

And I dislike geometrics and ikats.
I think they are a fad.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:16PM
Natalie
Hi---wow things are moving right along here. Good... I wanted to chime in and say that I favor either a gray (med/dark) hue or a medium turquoise color for your walls. Neutral colors for the upholstered furniture---and perhaps painting the cabinet you mentioned to either a metallic gold or black. Pics for wall color inspiration, how it relates to wood, blues/greens/golds, etc. Window treatments (both rooms) wallpaper, the mix of animal prints, etc.---list goes on and on... :) Hope you find it helpful. Good Luck!
[houzz=
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 4:06PM
kayanee
Thanks for returning Natalie, I am leaning towards a blue-gray wall color - that is a nice color in the pics, funny I kept thinking I needed to go light but maybe a shade like this would work. And you would paint the backs of the tall cabinet (I have 2 matching) a metallic gold? Hmmm, never thought along those lines at all, that's interesting..
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 4:28PM
Aja Mazin
Natalie,

Scroll down.

????
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/288229
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 4:42PM
Natalie
Hi-kayanee!
Yes, I do recommend painting the walls in the medium to dark range rather than light, just so long as you keep your upholstered pieces neutral/med. light in color... As for the cabinet-it would be nice if the entire piece could be painted or gold leafed, and the back wallpapered in a subtle pattern. If painting is not an option, then wallpaper the back in something metallic. Look at the drapery poles in the first and second photo, the mirror in the last pic, and the black/gold desk in the last pic for finishes... AS for wallpaper-look to photo 3 a tone on tone wallpaper and how it looks paired with the metallic gold mirror... CheerS!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 4:54PM
Aja Mazin
I would not like to see the entire cabinet painted gold.

I would avoid a strong color on the wall
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 5:08PM
Natalie
I'm offering some alternatives as kayanee mentioned she wanted a different look other than safari/jungle. Using a color within the same range as that of the fabrics and such will be soothing, not jarring to the eye. I also think the gold or metallic paper will add a touch of opulence and reflect light in the space---just a different finish from all the matching wood tones would be nice---it's a lot of the same wood... :)
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 5:51PM
kayanee
I like the idea of a subtle reflective wallpaper in the back of those shelves a lot! I would have never thought of that but it's quite intriguing! Maybe I could gold leaf the swirls just a little bit? When you say to keep my upholstered pieces in the neutral/medium light range does that rule out a dark leather sofa?
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 5:54PM
PRO
maag
kayanee did say she was doing dark floors...most examples pics have shown light floors..just wondering with the darker wood furnishings if brown couch will be too heavy...depends on the natural lighting I suppose....comments pls
3 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 5:55PM
Aja Mazin
I added gold leaf highlights to my coffee table and end table.

I am so glad I did because it made the wood pop!
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 6:04PM
Natalie
You could try just adding the leaf to the scrollwork and see how it looks-I think you could be more bold and go black or solid gold, but if you prefer subtle then do only the raised areas. You could even dry brush it with a metallic gold-and antique it, goodness there's numerous ways to change that piece up---just let your creative side have fun with it. Who knows, it may end up being your most favorite piece once the room is completed. :)
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 6:04PM
Natalie
Good Point maag---I do think the upholstered pieces should be light to medium light in value.
[houzz=][houzz=Juawanna Schuller][houzz=][houzz=Christmas Interior]
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 6:49PM
PRO
maag
thks Natalie am just an amateur but have loved reading this thread tonight. - generous kind and thoughtful responses...will return in the future for more positive learning
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 7:16PM
Aja Mazin
kayanee,

Perhaps you should choose your sofa colour next.

0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:06PM
Aja Mazin
I like the lighter walls for your wood and British colonial style.

And a little gold goes a long way.

Purdum Residence

Entry Hall

anne rue
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:24PM
Aja Mazin
Linen homespun hemp.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 9:50PM
kayanee
That's very nice! Would something like this look too casual? At least I know my cats couldn't destroy this one.
3 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:53PM
Aja Mazin
Oh yes!
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 10:00PM
Aja Mazin
And on sale!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 10:05PM
kayanee
So it would look ok? I seriously worry about my cats, they are bad about scratching!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 10:10PM
Zebra print rugs? Yard sale. Too much zebra on today's floors and other areas. I like several of the choices of the others commenting. If you already purchased the rug. - I'm sorry.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 10:11PM
Aja Mazin
Havana Dark is woven of abaca; Honey is woven of seagrass.
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/seagrass-3-piece-sofa/?cm_src=AutoRel
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 10:33PM
Aja Mazin
Its awesome!

And you can spray it with lemon oil.

Good for the abaca and cats HATE it.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 10:43PM
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 10:47PM
apennameandthata
@531958. I'm thinking she only has ONE zebra print on her floor. And blue zebras are quite rare. With people all politically correct about ivory and what not, I'm surprised she was even allowed to import the skin. Maybe poor Kayanee came here to confess her guilt about the zebra skin and its "clash" with nature represented in the brown fabric? Did you think of that? Maybe she is already upset enough?

I like this thread. The whole brown and blue thing is a long way from the monochromatic approach, and the sear-your-retina approach, you see so often on Houzz. I like the monochromatic look. I wonder if it will go out of fashion, or if people will gradually just add more and more or bigger and bigger complementary-colour elements?
4 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 1:15AM
Aja Mazin
But an abaca basket . spray it with lemon oil, and see if your cats scratch or leave it alone.

HAVANA LIDDED BASKETS
$14.00 – $54.00
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/havana-lidded-baskets/?cm_src=AutoRel
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 3:45AM
kayanee
See, I do like this sofa, I guess I like the contrast in it, (and of course the fact that my cats could scratch all they want and it wouldn't show). My peacock pillows from Etsy would go nicely on this. I think that's the reason I liked my WOW couch above, it had the worn leathery look on the sides and then fabric cushions. I worry about the comfort of this type of sofa and I don't want my new place to end up looking like someone's beach getaway - I'm not a big fan of tons of loose pillows in back.
2 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 6:39AM
Natalie
Excellent kayanee! That sofa will go nicely with your wood... Like that gold on the cab- :)
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 9:26AM
Ramona
I love these sorts of sofas and chairs; however, my kitty likes this stuff better than anything else. I would buy a test piece of some sort which has a vertical face. They like to reach up tall and pull down. Kitties scratch on trees outside and this furniture might appear to be a tree to them. Because my girl loved my wicker chairs, I had to rule out anything that looked like this even though I liked them and there were a lot of reasonably priced alternatives.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 10:00AM
kayanee
Ramona, I know what you mean. If you could see what they have done to the corners of my fabric sofa, ugh! I thought perhaps this stuff was so rugged that even if they did scratch on it, it wouldn't really damage it.....I love leather so I am so afraid of spending a lot of money on a beautiful soft leather sofa only to find it scratched up, I'll save that for a time when I don't have kitties, but right now, they rule and I must buy furniture to accommodate us both, lol..
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 10:09AM
kayanee
Updated palette - I would have NEVER been able to put this together on my own but I like the direction it has gone - thank you to all that have contributed!
3 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 10:14AM
kayanee
And just for fun, here are the little culprits. Harlow is the black and white female, Horatio is the orange and white male.
2 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 10:22AM
PRO
Cozy Casita
Way to go, Natalie ! Love your design choices and great "mix but please don't match" approach ! I totally agree that a little gold or metallic would definitely add 'opulence'. I think the kitties will look (and be) right at home and can't wait to see pics of the finished project, kayanee !
2 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 10:59AM
Ramona
Little stinkers look like they are just waiting for you to give them any excuse. LOL. My girl insisted on going out early this morning in the dark and I knew she was going to want back in while I was finishing sleeping. I awoke to hear her bellowing at the back door. They have their own priorities which we do not fully understand although they love us to pieces. Are they a specific breed?

Whether they are attracted to this fiber is anyone's guess. The scratches will show; they will be able to shred it over time.

I don't like declawing cats. It is painful for them during the healing and even after; however, if they are just indoor cats it is safe. If they go outside at all, it is not safe. Can you train them to let you trim their claws? My girls will let me do anything to her except that.

There are chemicals you can use which discourage them because they simply do not like the smell. I think the material on your couch was just too tempting to them. From their point of view, you had bought them a scratching post.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 11:00AM
kayanee
Yes they are Cornish Rex's ....and they are full of energy and personality. I love the breed! My little aliens...lol They are strictly indoor and they do let me trim their claws but this breed is notorious for having wicked long claws with these nasty little hooks on the end...seems like I trim them and the following week, they are back! I've got soft paws glued on the male at the moment to try them out and so far, so good but it's only been a day.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 11:08AM
kayanee
I need to recover just the seats of 2 bar stools that will be close by and visible to this room...going on the above pallet just a few posts up, would any of these look ok?
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 11:35AM
Ramona
they look fine right now, but we can't really determine size of pattern. why not use the peacock fabric which is only around $ 10 a yard? make sure they could actually be put into the room in some other form. I like them all.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 12:54PM
Manon Floreat
I actually would consider swapping the bold peacock fabric for the more subtle one above (no.1). You could do as Aja suggested and make shades with them or perhaps make curtain panels to go over plan shades.

I put together a collage based on some of your choices above and style of your preferences. I like the idea of lacquering the shelf in black with a muted gold leaf. The collage has an example of the look, though I think I'd go with a more muted, antique gold. A glass coffee table with gold leaf would relate the two items and counter balance the dark furnishings you already have.

For wall color, I'd go white. Elmira White by Benjamin Moore, might be a good one to check out. It's a beige off white and I think it would be a nice quiet background color for your things.

ETA: If you go with the more muted peacock fabric for shades, I think upholstering the bar stools in the same fabric would be a nice tie in.
3 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 1:35PM
Ramona
OMG Manon you put Harlow in the collage. Extra, extra points for going that extra mile.
4 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 1:37PM
Manon Floreat
Haha! I couldn't resist, Ramona!
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 1:40PM
designideas4me
I dont want to sound mean.. so I didnt comment on this topic.. but I have to say............I never liked many pattern fabric in a room because they do compete and clash many times.. although very subtle patterns done in contrasting textures with very little color difference can look great. But to me this question is like asking if a striped shirt and pink pokadot pants and a orange plaid coat and yellow sneakers go together. I just dont get it. Maybe thats why my house is to the other extreme...and needs more color and pattern but if I add any it will be in small doses that are not large competing patterns. Sorry had to say it.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 3:18PM
Aja Mazin
Agree with Manon on:

✔ paint the shelves backs gold [no black]

✔ light walls

✔ the more muted peacock fabric for window treatment

However, after much thought, I do not favour the pottery barn sofa.
It is rather pedestrian.

Hold out for your WOW sofa.

FIND A SIMILAR STYLE IN A THRIFT STORE THAT NEEDS TO BE RECOVERED.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 3:28PM
Aja Mazin
Or go with your heart's choice and buy that brown leather sofa.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 3:34PM
Aja Mazin
Wipe the leather furniture down with a menthol oil, eucalyptus oil or other natural substance with a similar odor. Cats do not care for strongly scented oils, and they will often stay away from those areas heavily coated in such a strong scent.

Natural mint oil, eucalyptus or menthol oil will typically not damage leather furniture, and can even help preserve and protect the leather.

Also, there are inexpensive leather repair kits everywhere including automotive stores.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 3:45PM
Aja Mazin
Another thought about the cats:

Use citrus products in the area of the leather couch. Cats dislike the smell of citrus. They will avoid areas that have that scent. If you use a cleaner for the leather sofa, make sure it is citrus-scented.

Rub a drop of lemon oil or orange oil on your cats back and watch him freak out!
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 3:56PM
kayanee
to designideas4me; I originally asked this question with the first 2 pictures shown because I really didn't know if they clashed, they looked a little off to me, but after having watched hundreds of design shows, a lot of times their designs look a little off to me as well. I've always decorated with a "how many different shades of beige" can I use approach. I'm tired of it, it's Boring...I want to add a little color. I'm not sure how much of these pattern fabrics you think I'm going to have, those pillows with the bright green are just that, only 2 pillows. The peacock feathers are simple little valances no more than about 36" in height, over simple plain linen sheers. The blue in my rug isn't that jarring in person, I see you have that same blue highlighted in your design ideas as a highlight wall? Just thought I would try to give color a little more of a chance since they all seem to encourage you to do that on tv.
3 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 4:06PM
Ramona
@ designideas4 me, mixing patterns is always a very delicate business. some people have a natural knack for it. it is easy to go too far. some variation is pleasant. personally, i love color and pattern, but want a more monochromatic look overall.

this is where individual taste comes in once you get the basics right. even so, i see things by professionals that i would never, ever do.

I am going to post my project in a little while when I have time and you can all tear it up.

Choosing a design you will live with for many years because of the cost and effort is difficult and mistakes will always be made.
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 4:23PM
Manon Floreat
I agree that pattern mixing can be tricky business - but also fun and interesting. If anyone's interested, I collected some images that I think show pleasant combinations of patterns. You can find them in my ideabook:

I think the patterns that you are considering work well together, kayanee. One thing to be mindful of is placement. A well-conceived arrangement of furnishings and the elements that unite them (pattern, color, texture, finish) are tremendously important for an aesthetically pleasing space. All in all, I think you're going to have a great room.

And, Aja - thanks for sharing all of the cat deterrent ideas. Useful information for me and my little Fur Dragon (affectionate nick name of the day for my cat). I'm definitely taking note.
3 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 5:04PM
cherisw
I am so impressed with all of the good ideas expressed in this thread. The very process of putting them all together into a design theme, color palate, and very specific shopping suggestions that would work with kayanee's existing pieces was interesting and educational. What a wonderful collaborative effort.
2 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 10:01AM
englishaccent
I like that Manon put that persimmon color back on your design board. You need that little spice. Also, sometimes trading out the lumbar pillows with sofas and chairs helps move that color and pattern around. What I mean is take the lumbar pillow off the persimmon color chair switch it with the pillow of another upholstered piece. Other wise, love the look.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 10:06AM
kayanee
I want to know how Manon did that collage! That is super cool.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 11:06AM
destinmarie
Love all the advice. 1 cat comment: our 1 kitty destroyed the corners of a couch and 3 chairs & ottoman -- all were made of that really strong grass/bamboo/ like in the pictures above. She preferred these to the 2 fabric chairs. The only thing that helps (but I would've had to spray every day and I got lazy) is Feliway Spray. It is MAGIC! Its pheromones and just makes her happy. She rubs like crazy but does not scratch it. It calms down most cats and helped here when we left her alone for weekend sometimes. Its also called Confort zone with Feliway. About $32 for a spray bottle. might stain a delicate fabric. Just FYI
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
New apartment!
Just moved in. Here's a few photos of the living and...
Julian Velez
Help! Kitchen Layout ... New build
Hi! We are building a new home and are not sold on...
Brenna Pearce
Kitchen Counter Dilemma!
Hi everyone! It's my first time posting! My husband...
Marissa DiGennaro Burg
help for my dining and living room
hi, this is my living and dining room. something bothers...
filiozep
Need help with decor of this family room!
We are changing the floor to a darker wood. Any ideas...
paawani
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.