Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
brighten and customize a tract home kitchen
Krissy Lewis
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just moved into our brand new house and I'm fustrated it just doesn't have that model home feel. We loved the dark wood cabinets and my husband insisted on dark wood floors and then we bought dark couches (kitchen/ living room is completely ope) and now...its too dark. I am not painting over brand new cabinets or changing out our expensive granite counters....any suggestions??
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Classic Designs by Brook
Add silver hardware to the kitchen cabinets. Change your coffee table to a glass one with silver accents and if you change your carpet to one with cream/whites it would add alot of light. Also I would change the drapes to lighter ones with silver rods.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:29PM
Krissy Lewis
Counters are Santa Cecilia, cabinets are an Espresso colored oak, and the floors are a dark hand scraped engineered hardwood. The walls are very white. Im wondering if painting the walls a light taupe color would soften the space. Also considering under cabinet lighting and a stainless steel backsplash?
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:29PM
PRO
Classic Designs by Brook
Here is a pic. since your furniture and floors and cabnets are so dark and I am assuming its to expensive to change the dark furniture I would start with the drapes and rug and smaller wood tables. I would keep walls the color they are and yes a backspash will make a hugh impact
1 Like   January 10, 2013 at 4:34PM
Krissy Lewis
Thanks for the input, nice to get another opinion, for some reason it never even occured to me to change the curtains....
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:48PM
calikym
First of all, it looks good! It's beautiful. It seems to lack lights and colored items. You could add some colorful rugs on a white background and pillows to match plus add some glass black splash and throw some lighting on it with under counter lights. Just pick a bright, light tile of course. Really, it's so lovely just needs a little designer spark!!
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:54PM
calikym
And some colorful pendant lights would look super sharp.
0 Likes   January 10, 2013 at 4:55PM