Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need assistance with living room decor.
ebonydiva
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have plans to change the furniture to 2 blue or cognac chaise. Should the walls be painted? Are the drapes too dark? Help please!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Manon Floreat
I think two cognac chaises and the wood furniture will be a bit heavy for this room. I think a lighter blue will pair better with the wood furniture. The walls look to be beige with a pink undertone. I would consider a cream instead.

January 10, 2013 at 4:50PM   
ebonydiva
The paint color is more beige/cream. So a lighter share of clue furniture? No pink in the paint. I'm not sure why the lamp shade appeared that way. I have off white furniture in here now and I really don't like it.
January 10, 2013 at 5:01PM   
scope2
There's too much furniture in this small room, I would remove the two chairs and move the couch in their place. Use smaller tables. Why is the far lamp pink? Don't like that either.
January 10, 2013 at 5:05PM   
ebonydiva
Again...the lamp is not pink. It's identical to the on the left. Thanks for your suggestions!
January 10, 2013 at 5:12PM     
egas
*sigh*
I like this as is.
If I had to do anything...I'd paint the walls probably blue because it's safe and goes well with cream/beige and leave the furniture. But that's why I'm not an interior decorator and I can't decide what to do with my entertainment/tv room.
January 10, 2013 at 5:12PM     
ebonydiva
Thank you. It needs help I just don't know what kind.
January 10, 2013 at 5:19PM   
egas
In trying to decide what to do with my room this is what I've come up with.
Decide how much money you wanna spend.
While looking at ideas, try to find a theme an work with that.

My mum always plays it safe with neutral colours like whites and beige. So I chose to rebel and add some colour, so my walls are going in SW georgian bay (blue). Something you may wanna try.

You could also consider changing the curtains and tying together with throw cushions that either match or go with the curtains.

Just a few ideas from an IT Analyst....not an interior decorator. :)
January 10, 2013 at 5:31PM     
Cat Rowe
Hi Ebonydiva ~ I would first remove the two chairs. Then add the blue chaise Manon suggested above infront of the two windows. I would change the side tables. One round and one a silver metal with open shelves for the gorgeous books you love to read whilst on your chaise. I would then change the drapes to a lighter Kathryn M Ireland fabric and add some pillows of varying prints and colours. I would not have matching lamps or shades. Mix it up. Add some art and favourite possesions. All in all ebonydiva you have a gorgeous start, just have fun and enjoy the room. Always remember that your taste will evolve over time. Good luck! Cat
January 10, 2013 at 5:40PM     
ebonydiva
Thanks a mil Cat! I will definitely act on you suggestions.
January 10, 2013 at 6:03PM   
Cat Rowe
My pleasue ~ i wish i was the to help you ! Have fun Ebonydiva!
January 10, 2013 at 6:06PM   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
I dont' know about your drapes being too dark but you have hung them too low. The rods should be about 2/3 of the way up from the top of the window frame to the ceiling molding, and just touching the floor.
January 10, 2013 at 7:16PM     
ebonydiva
Thanks for the feedback Julie. I know this. The drapes aren't long enough to hang that high.
January 10, 2013 at 7:22PM   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
The damask fabric is very pretty,and I like the color. Maybe you can get some extra length if hems were let out.?
January 10, 2013 at 7:24PM     
ebonydiva
Wow!! I will certainly check to see if there is any give. Thank you.
January 10, 2013 at 7:33PM   
Manon Floreat
Hi, ebonydiva. Can you post more photos of the room ie: the area behind the chairs and the other end of the room)?

I'm thinking that two chaises may not be the best option for this room. You may just want to start with a new sofa, some throw pillows for a little color and new window treatments. The blinds, while functional are not adding to the room. For a luxe and layered look, you might consider panels over shades, instead. And definitely floor to ceiling length for this room!

January 10, 2013 at 9:16PM   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
What about some more cheerful yet not noisy drapes?

For more designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
January 11, 2013 at 12:22AM     
lanaelaine
The room has a very function design and good basic pieces to work with. A very simple solution is to add some coordinating elements to the room. Cushions, an area rug, a throw or blanket over the back of the loveseat. ornaments, a bowl of fruit. pictures on the wall. If the curtains are too short put a band of lace or material on the bottom that is close to the colour of the loveseats. This will make the addition at the bottom look intentional. A band of colour on the sides of the curtains will also help pull the room together through repetition of colour in the drapes and in the loveseats. It will also make your drapes look more expansive and therefore they will be more balanced given the space on the wall. I would recommend an accent colour in the room. It could be incorporated through the accessories and or pictures. Your basic pieces are solid, neutral and will last you a long time as you can change your accessories to have a completely new look. The room could use texture either through cushions, rugs, a throws. As for a suggestion for colour - I can't tell what colour your curtains are but the usual matches to cream are peach, orange, tans, browns, greens - in fact a lot of colours will work.Perhaps just look on here for white/cream sofas and loveseats and see if you like any of their colour combinations and what accessories they are using.

Good luck
Lana

January 11, 2013 at 12:53AM     
lanaelaine
ps the style of your sofa is traditional (has rounded lines/edges, legs) , the style of your coffee table and end tables are square and would probably be considered more modern or arts and crafts. The drapes and lamp are perhaps more 60's styling. An eclectic style of decorating is more difficult to integrate. You may find it easier to pick one style when coordinating your accessories and that may simplify your decorating.
January 11, 2013 at 1:04AM   
lanaelaine
pss the powell room above has cushions, rug, mirror on wall and other accessories.
January 11, 2013 at 1:07AM   
egas
Did not know rounded edges is traditional and sharp edges are modern
Thanks Iana....will consider that when I'm doing my room.
January 11, 2013 at 4:17AM   
ebonydiva
Manon--I'll add a few more pics this afternoon. The room is connected to my dining room and sits up against the foyer and stairs.
Thanks lanaelaine for the suggestions. I'm very good at what I do (accountant) but I'm lost when it comes to interior design. I know nothing about traditional, modern, etc. My dining room table in the connecting room is glass round with dark chairs and base.
January 11, 2013 at 7:41AM   
ebonydiva
More pics
January 11, 2013 at 2:44PM   
ebonydiva
More pics
January 11, 2013 at 2:45PM   
Cat Rowe
Beautiful Ebonydiva! I would go with my original plan of removing the two chairs and adding the blue chaise. I would replace the two chairs with a tallest gorgeous vintage glass-front bookcase. Inside, would be all your favourite decorating books and leave one shelf for a personal collection. This could
be anything that you collect like specimen rocks, shells, tea cups, figurines. But only do that on one
shelf and the remainder fill with books. On top I would add a marble based lamp with similar blue shade. Add a LLadro on top too if you have one or a smaller version of the plate you have on the coffee table. Or in that plate eisle put a beautiful framed photograph that means a lot to you. I would do pastels in this room instead of dark fabrics to lighten it up and make more relaxed/casual and less formal. Gorgeous space! Love the wall colour and trim colour! Good Luck!
January 11, 2013 at 2:56PM     
ebonydiva
Thank you Cat. I'm browsing for the options you suggested now.
January 11, 2013 at 3:03PM   
Elizabeth Bishop
I think what's missing is a focal point in the room. The blue (pastel) chaise will work nicely next to a beautiful wall unit (which would act as a focal point) as Cat Rowe suggested. Art work could also act as a focal point, as well as a color palate for the room. Those could include: A large colorful abstract (with blue) painting would give a pop to the room, if you chose not to do a wall unit. A large landscape with vistas, or, large mirrors would give depth to the space. Glass tables would make the space seem larger while providing interest and book storage. I'd change the draperies (from brown) to a complementary color to the sofa. (like the suggestion from Cheery curtains) Also, changing the blinds would help, have you considered plantation shutters?
January 11, 2013 at 4:00PM   
Manon Floreat
Thanks for the additional photos. I don't think this is the right set up for two chaise lounges. Do you have your heart set on a chaise? If so, take a look at the middle floor plan below. It can be either a sofa with a matching ottoman that you pull up to make a chaise or it can be a sectional with built in chaise.

I've put together a collage featuring a sectional in a earthy mushroom color. Its style is contemporary. It's darker than the upholstered pieces you have now but light enough to not take up too much visual space. It looks like the color would also work with your current wall color. The slate teal chair is more transitional and so is the area rug. I think it's a calm and sophisticated color palette. Something you'll probably be needing as tax season starts ramping up!

If these styles and colors appeal to you, let us know - it'll give us a better idea of your style preferences.

Oh - I also wanted to add. Your current furnishings look to be of good quality and in good condition. Do consider putting them on consignment. There are many people who would love to have them.
January 11, 2013 at 4:54PM     
ebonydiva
Manon--I don't have my ind set on the chaise. Would blue furniture go well with my dining room furniture? My dining room furniture is dark brown. I really like the set ups you added. I never considered adding an area rug. I like the blue and brown. I will certainly consider putting the furniture on consignment when I but new furniture.
January 11, 2013 at 8:05PM   
hihosilva
Everyone is so helpful here! We lay people are so lucky to have our houzz friends! Ebonydiva you have a beautiful home and I am sure that with the help of these good people you will have it all put together soon so you can have a wonderful party to showit off after the taxes are all done. Hopefully You'll make a bundle in the process. Good luck to you.
January 11, 2013 at 8:49PM     
Manon Floreat
I'm glad you like the arrangement options, ebonydiva. Blue would do well in your space as blue and brown are great friends.

You can repeat a blue element in the dining room with art and table decor to relate the two areas.
January 11, 2013 at 9:26PM   
antoniocaltest
The drapes are way to low. Try to hang them higher, leaving approximately 10 inches from the sillin then add crown molding
January 11, 2013 at 9:38PM   
antoniocaltest
And add another drape on each side to make it look substantial and classy
January 11, 2013 at 9:39PM   
jimbeauindy
Just a note about the "pink" light. It's a combination of the bulb, the distance and the light coming in from outside. As for the "rooms" they are a "living" and "dining" rooms. They are two different rooms and need to be separated. The same curtains pull them together as one. Since you have blinds, take dinning room ones and add to living to make them fuller and put something a little less formal and heavy in the dinning room. Add more color to both rooms and find somewhere you can set the plate on the coffee table where you can't see the back. Replace it with a low silk arrangement with color. You also need a small table with lamp between the two wing backs, and angle them a little more to each other so that if you and friend rather sit there, you don't have to turn to talk to each other.
January 11, 2013 at 9:42PM   
ebonydiva
Antoniocaltest--thanks for the suggestions. There is crown molding already there. I think I'll try doubling the curtains for a more fuller look.
Thanks jimbeauindy for the great suggestions.
January 11, 2013 at 10:10PM   
egas
I'd like to echo hihosilva's comments about everyone being so helpful!
I've picked up a few things myself thus far.
Thank you to everyone for supplying your creative input to us
January 14, 2013 at 7:44AM     
Cat Rowe
Same here egas! I love how we all share our a common interest and help each other work through our dilemas! There are so many great ideas!
January 14, 2013 at 7:48AM     
pglanz
Hi Ebonydiva,
If you are able to double the window panels and ad fabric to the bottom in an accent color to match added pillows and area rug you'd have a great start. When your budget allows I would change your tables. Buy each one separately. Find ones that really speak to you. Find a gorgeous throw to drape on your couch to add color. Keep thinking about layering. I'm not sure if you have room between the two chairs but a small table in between would be nice. Artwork above with lighting would wake the area up. Also by the front window a console table with found treasures including the platter on your coffee table would be wonderful. Include photos & more lighting. You have a good base you just need to build on it. Colors and style of furniture are personal so always go with what you love.
January 14, 2013 at 8:31AM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
They Drapery would look better if it was just touching the floor. I would also recommend raising up the drapery rod it should be mounted about 6'' above the window for a more finished look.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto.html
January 15, 2013 at 4:22PM   
PRO
Elizabeth Shutters
If you want to keep your existing drapes, find a solid fabric that pulls out one of the colors you want to accent and have it added to the bottom of the drape (professionally). It looks to me like you could add a good 18" and mount the rod high. Then also use the same fabric to add a 6" banding on the leading edge of each drape. This will make the addition look more purposeful and is also an opportunity to make the draperies more grand. They look a little narrow, as well so perhaps you could add the banding on both edges and then use a rod that is a few inches longer so that your drapes can extend a bit more onto the wall and appear fuller. http://3day.com/linda-williams
January 15, 2013 at 4:38PM   
Cat Rowe
Ebonydiva ! Hi. How is your livingroom coming along? Cat
April 7, 2013 at 11:13AM