Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Cost of taking down this cedar wall
tracytraylor24
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We would like to remove this cedar and drywall over it. What would an estimated cost for materials and time it would take be??
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Too many un answerable questions. Contact you local drywall supplier for names of hangers and finishers. (some do both, but the best jobs are gotten from hiring the best of each) Ask the Hanger to give you a sheet count ( 4x8x12 1/2") you could get away with 3/8" given the cedar stays up to nail too.
You buy the material and pay each sub when they finish not before. I would also suggest you make your own count of the sq. ft. to be covered. In general you can get the sheet count by dividing the sq footage by the sq. ft in a sheet and add 25% as a max. Be on hand when the house is hung as hanger who are paid by the sheet have been known to cut up a few sheet just to add to their bottom line.
January 10, 2013 at 8:59PM   
PRO
Linda
You might be able to get someone to take down and remove the cedar for free, just to get the material. You might want to consider recycling some of it for a cedar closet if you have the space somewhere.

I would give a really rough guess of about $1.50 to $2.00 sq ft for drywall installed and taped then add disposal of the drywall scraps. That's only a guess since I don't know your area or how large the job is.
January 10, 2013 at 9:07PM     
Quintin Dormeier
Don't change a thing
January 10, 2013 at 9:49PM     
bonnieth
I would just change the rug, seriously! What style are you going for?
January 10, 2013 at 10:11PM   
PRO
AFC inc
The other alternative to just slightly sand the cedar .
Cedar is soft wood and can be easily sanded .
January 10, 2013 at 10:58PM   
tracytraylor24
This is a home we're buying. The current own is very, very rustic/outdoor!!
January 11, 2013 at 12:38AM   
tracytraylor24
Thank you guys!! I posted on fb if someone would remove, they could have-had SEVERAL people wanting it!!
January 11, 2013 at 3:54PM   
teeooh
I think you should pull down the wood, not sand and paint as suggested. It will give you a great chance to see what is behind the wall. You may find that you want to to move some electric or cable and add insulation.
January 11, 2013 at 4:00PM     
Deborah Werntz
Rooms done in wood cost and some people pay for it. Why drywall like everyone else. The problem in this photo is that not only are the walls wood but wood also elsewhere. Try a different hanging light/chandelier/ceiling fan with wall sconce that match or blend. Add metal and or gold or silver and or white; do this with valances, rug, pillows, picture frames, furniture. Too much wood element and not enough fire air water elements (feng shui). Maybe add plants and bit of green.
January 11, 2013 at 4:05PM     
Deborah Werntz
Glad you liked the ideas, this stuff comes natural to me. This room already has great potential as do others, you just have to love it for what is good about it and enhance it. WIshin you a fun time!
January 11, 2013 at 4:47PM   
PRO
Zoltan Construction LLC
Paint light color or light stain where u can still see the wood, it will look great.
January 11, 2013 at 5:01PM   
PRO
Linda
I wouldn't bother trying to paint. Cedar is notoriously difficult to get paint to stick over the long run. You could try an opaque stain, but I wouldn't recommend paint
January 11, 2013 at 6:55PM