Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bedroom Curtains
kimjansen
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Having a tough time establishing what the appropriate drapery should be for these bedroom windows. The windows are southfacing so there is a lot of sunlighlight. We need full coverage and prefereably full blackout. The round window is currently covered with a temporary blind from a big box retailer. The other existing drapery and rod is from the previous owners. We want to change it all. Ideally I would like to put up drapes (something geometric) but I will need two tiers to cover the top window as a rod will not work across the top of the windows due to the cieling restictions. Would that look ok? Any creative ideas on how to dress these windows? Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Kira Nguyen
It might be a good idea to have two layers of curtains, one more sheer to let in some light, and the other a thicker fabric to black out the entire room:
Northbrook House

Who Says the Suburbs Aren't Glamorous?!

let us know what you end up doing!
January 11, 2013 at 11:49AM   
PRO
Inspired Interiors
This is a tough one....
I agree with Kira, you might just have to do a sheer and a heavy fabric. As far as where to place these curtain panels, I suggest you get 3 different rods - 2 on each side of the shorter windows and the third for the arched window. So you would have 2 different tiers, the middle being higher/longer.. Or ....you can install a dual reflective window film (will keep some daylight out of the room) on the arched window and have one continuous curtain rod at the bottom. I hope that make sense.
January 11, 2013 at 12:10PM   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Looks to me like your doors open in, both sides right? That's why they ve mounted the shades on the door. ?
January 11, 2013 at 12:16PM   
janishill
There are various ways to address this issue. You can hang long drapery panels on either side of the palladian window with matching shorter panels on the outside of the two shorter windows.

Or you can have shades custom made or use a treatment that hangs from individual finials which would allow the treatment to echo the curve easily.
January 11, 2013 at 12:36PM   
PRO
If her doors open in, you cannot hang panels over the paladian window that cannot be traversed off it.
January 11, 2013 at 12:39PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I would love to find the answer to this problem. I hate paladian windows. All my clients that have them want me to disguise them. I just want to tear them out and put in transom or square them off across the top.
January 11, 2013 at 12:46PM     
PRO
I would second that idea myself. They are what contractors "think" that people want in their houses. They are pretentious and outdated..the only place they did look good were in the original Georgian architecture...but I digress.

With doors opening in under that window you really need a rod to cover the entire wall, including that window and be able to draw them completely off the doors.

I don't know if it's in your budget to change the configuration of the windows and doors there, but if it is< i would do it,, because the previous owner came up with what you have now for a reason. The only change I coudl suggest short of re-doing all , is to hang some pretty drapes either side of the doors from as high as possible and leave what you have...or upgrade what you have on the paladian and doors. I know HD can do shades to fit any shape.
January 11, 2013 at 12:51PM     
Darzy
How about this? I saw a tv designer actually cover bedroom windows with an upholstered "tufted" piece that fit in the window exactly. It was designed to be able to remove easily. So, I guess a "finished" wood (or some sort of material on the outside view) but an upholstered piece (cut to fit the size exactly) for the inside view.
January 11, 2013 at 12:54PM   
PRO
You know on third thought..I would upgrade all the shades to wooden blinds,.. on the doors and windows. Would try and get a custom made wooden blind for the paladian window, and then hang 2 long drapery panels each side of the door. The door is what it is.
January 11, 2013 at 12:56PM   
janishill
The drapes would work. All she needs are stationary panels with shades.
January 11, 2013 at 1:34PM   
kimjansen
Thanks all! You have all provided a number of wonderful suggestions for a tricky situation!

Unfortunately, its not in the budget to change the windows themselves :) To answers some questions, the doors open into the house, behind the door is a Juliet balcony. The room is two stories up and there are a tonne of trees which are quite nice to look at through the paladian window, so I would prefer to be able to see through this during daytime hours.

I looked into getting a custom wooden shutters and the cost was an incredible 2k.

I think the most functional (and possibly cheapest option) would be to hang long panels on each side of the paladian window/door combo, then shorter ones on the smaller side windows (3 rods).

Now the next dilemma....curtain fabric. I love horizontal strips not sure that they will work with the two tiered rods.

I also love some of the attached fabric samples...

Would appreciate your thoughts.
January 11, 2013 at 6:34PM   
kimjansen
Some more options...
January 11, 2013 at 6:38PM   
orangecamera
My idea for covering the palladian window is something like a very large Chinese fan that you could open and close. If you secured one side of it to the bottom of the window, you could fashion some sort of clear rod so you could lift and move the other side to cover the window.

It's basically what you have now with the paper shade, you just need some way to open and close it.
January 11, 2013 at 6:48PM   
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
I think I'd address the paladian window by topping it with a nice, large upholstered cornice board that the sides tend to trail downward with the middle either arching upward slightly or coming straight across. You mount a cordless pleated shade up under it that can be raised and lowered with a long, slim pole that can be stashed under one of the drape panels that close completely over the doors when not in use. The pleated shade above can be color coordinated with the drapery fabric below and the cornice can be done in an accent fabric to hgihlight the height of the tray ceiling. Exciting look that brings all tthe mismatched levels and divisions together with purpose.

The pleated shade with the cornice covering will square off the arched window in a way that makes it appear to have been replaced without the expense of having to do so.
January 11, 2013 at 7:19PM     
chikachika
I would have wood shutters installed.
January 11, 2013 at 7:25PM   
orangecamera
Greg's idea is brilliant.
January 12, 2013 at 5:00AM   
boppy
I have similar windows and have attached photos of how we dealt with this dilemma. I hope the visual helps.
January 12, 2013 at 1:17PM   
boppy
Here is a photo with the blinds and curtains open.
January 12, 2013 at 1:20PM     
PRO
Boppy, do you have doors in the center that open inward?
January 12, 2013 at 1:34PM   
caricampbell
Greg, do you have any visuals of your idea? It sounds great, I just can't see it in my mind's eye.

Kim, I like the fabric on the bottom left of the first set you posted (the white and gray). It's interesting yet still soft and muted. I also like the one on the right of the second set (the blue and brown) and the brown seems to go with your paint a little bit better. This is your master bedroom, correct? I would make sure the drapes create a soothing effect and aren't too busy- you want to be relaxed in your bedroom! What other colors do you have in the room?
January 12, 2013 at 1:38PM   
boppy
Julie Thome Draperies: Our windows, pictured above, do not have a door in the center. In our family room, however, we do have a french door with floor to ceiling windows on either side. For that situation, we hung a single rod that reaches the width of the 2 windows and french door with 2 panels on either side that can be pulled closed.
January 12, 2013 at 1:59PM   
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
I don't have the computer know-how to post something visual, sorry. I do have a paladium style window in my bedroom, however and I enjoy it. What I did was run a repurposed cornice board across it where it begins to arch and installed pleated shade under the lower portion. You have to get creative with those things. I enjoy mine... to a degree. lol.
January 12, 2013 at 2:20PM   
PRO
JMittman Designs
How wide is the palladium? It looks huge? How tall are the walls? To be honest, I'd go back to your original idea of getting a new hard treatment on the palladium. I know you said it's pricey, but with the suggestions made here, you are going to get real close to that and in my opinion, still not have a good looking treatment. Get a quote on something besides shutters--say a white cell shade etc. I'd cover that window, hang side panels to the ceiling flanking it--just close enough to the doors so that they can still be open, and be done with it.
January 12, 2013 at 4:03PM     
kimjansen
Palladium is over 6 feet long - I don't know exactly but the highest point on the walls is probably 12 feet.
Getting quotes on a few items... so will revert. Thanks to all for their wonderful selections.
January 14, 2013 at 8:27PM   
PRO
JMittman Designs
Let us know what you do.
January 15, 2013 at 6:45AM   
Carrie
I would remove the blind in the palladium window but keep all the others for privacy and room darkening. Next, I'd do textured swirl of elmer's glue treatment on just the palladium window. Paint out just the door wall (or the wall across from it to add balance) in a lighter shade of the same colour (the dark accents it too much). Add grommeted, fabric drapery panels to the window (all across) all 4 pieces (window and door) in orange, browns and blues.
January 15, 2013 at 7:06AM   
PRO
JMittman Designs
I'm sorry. Elmer's glue?
January 15, 2013 at 7:11AM     
Carrie
LOL, yes. It's durable and you can do any pattern. Cover just that one window. You can try it on a piece of old glass first to see if you like it.
January 15, 2013 at 11:59AM   
kimjansen
Well it took a long time for me to make some decisions and get things done. Here is the final result - still need to trim the rods and get some finials. but functionally the curtains are perfect and really block out the light. I was also able to take away the cover for the circular window, and I can see the trees and sky all the time now. Thanks to all for your ideas.
June 6, 2013 at 5:04PM     
PRO
JMittman Designs
They look great! Are you able to close the center curtains? Can't see the pattern too closely on the fabric but it looks really pretty. Glad you found a solution.
June 7, 2013 at 5:04AM   
PRO
Ingrid Porter Interiors, LLC
I have done this exact treatment on windows in a library and this is the best solution to an age old problem, the rounded palladium window. Your fabric choice and wall color are great together, enjoy your room!
June 7, 2013 at 5:14AM   
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
OMGSH! It's just gorgeous!! Done perfectly!! Kudos, for sure.
June 7, 2013 at 6:48AM   
hparks74
This may be a crazy idea but for your palladium window fan Fold wall to fit into the window. It's stiff and will stay put while blocking the light.
June 7, 2013 at 6:57AM   
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
...and the view. Just sayin.
June 7, 2013 at 7:51AM   
PRO
Looks great! Are you able to open doors OK?
June 7, 2013 at 7:55AM   
More Discussions
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Bathroom Lighting
How do you know if you need a 2 or 3 bulb light over...
Please what direction should I run my wood porcelain tiles?
I have a long hall way with kitchen and dining room...
Replacing a chair
We need to replace the rocking chair in our living...
Light and dark colours
We are updating our lounge and curtains. Is it better...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.