Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Family room pillows keep or return?
LoveModern Deco
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi guys,

I have been very grateful for all of the help that I have been getting here at Houzz and I can't help but coming back for more input on the same topic. So in a previous post I had asked for some advice for my family room http://www.houzz.com/discussions/294019/Help-with-this-family-room

I since got the pillows in the attached pics and would like to have your opinion on whether they work so I can decide whether to keep or return them? Please feel free to weight in on other aspects of the family room but please let me know about the pillows! Also, please note that I have no budget at the moment. All the furniture, carpet, lamp are new so replacing them is not an option.

Looking forward to your input! Thanks so much!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
anitajoyce
Nice room. I would say, return them and start over. I love the furniture and the rug. The pillows just don't go with the feel of the space. Maybe pillows with a bold print, stripes and some solid ones in colors that are in the rug and a little blue would work better..
January 10, 2013 at 5:53pm   
pcmom1
They are nice pillows and go well with your sofa. However, having them tipped that way just reminds me of sitting up dominoes: I just want to walk up and tip them over! Just too contrived right now. Make them look less studied and more relaxed. I would put the red in the middle over to the far right. Then put the ones with circles next to the red. Leave one blue in the middle of the sofa and the other over on to the other section.

Obviously you need some more in the room. I would add window panels to the slider in the same gray as the sofa. Also a basket of branches in the corner with some art for the walls.
January 10, 2013 at 5:55pm     
PRO
Otrada LLC
Ok, no on the pillows. Sorry. Try to mix size and shapes. Look at a few modern furniture catalogs and see how they staged the photography. Example below just to illustrate they use several size pillows, texture, and color. Add a throw if you like too!

*Add some patterned drapery panels to the slider behind the sectional sofa.
January 10, 2013 at 6:14pm     
tallgrassdesign
It's hard to say since the room doesn't have much for accessories, artwork, window treatment, etc. The rug looks great with the sectional, but the red, white, and blue pillows seem too stark. I agree with pcmom1 that lining them up on their tips is a bit contrived. I recommend tucking square pillows in the corners in groups. You also need more variety in the fabric, such as an over-sized print paired with a smaller print or something with a lot of texture and then add a solid.

Are you familiar with the blog Young House Love? They have a sectional of similar style. Check out this post in particular: http://www.younghouselove.com/2011/12/living-room-cha-cha-cha-changes/
January 10, 2013 at 6:15pm     
LoveModern Deco
Hi guys thanks for the feedback. I can't seem to pick the right pillows! My main goal was to add a pop of color. I have looked so many photos and catalogs but can't seem to find ones that work. I am pillows challenged :)! Thanks for the link above and the pics I'll keep on looking.
January 10, 2013 at 6:22pm   
E Klo
I actually like the pillows. Maybe spread them out a bit more so you have 1 or 2 on the shorter end of the sectional.. and make the square so they don't look so "set up". Now the space just needs a bit of accessorizing.

I'd add a few floating shelves on either side of your fire place - maybe paint them in turquoise color to make them pop against the wall ([houzz=Belvedere]).

Some funky coasters on the coffee table would be cool ([houzz=VisuaLingual home/HQ]).. and maybe a silver or mirrored tray ([houzz=Large Roberto Glass Tray]) to set things on as well. I'd also do a couple of large art pieces on the walls - some funky painted frames ([houzz=Historic Federal Hill Residence]) would be fun. Hope this helps!
January 10, 2013 at 6:25pm     
curacaoblue
Try putting them where you would actually use them. It may help you to decide. This isn't a practical set up because you would never sit on a couch with this set up
January 10, 2013 at 6:31pm   
queeni1951
Use larger pillows -- perhaps fewer?
January 10, 2013 at 6:42pm   
PRO
Otrada LLC
Zineb, no worries. Have fun and do the drapery and artwork first. The pillows can be added as you go.
January 10, 2013 at 6:43pm     
LoveModern Deco
Otrada, no funds for the drapery or artwork- I wish :) !! We're probably going to have to wait 6 mths to a year before adding anything else to that room but wanted pillows because 1) all that grey was driving me crazy, I am more of a bright colors person. 2) The couch doesn't feel that comfy without pillows when you're watching a movie. So the pillows are actually a birthday gift but after that back on home decorating diet!
January 10, 2013 at 6:56pm     
anitajoyce
You can always add a pop of color with a nice throw until you find the right pillows to compliment yor sofa. For now, your sofa looks really nice without the pillows.
January 10, 2013 at 7:36pm   
englishaccent
I think the texture on the pillows are fighting with you look and that is why you feel iffy about them. I don't know where you purchased you pillow so I went to Target's website and looked through some choices. I was looking for texture that was not so silky. Here's some ideas. I really like the fuzz goat hair pillow. And I think maybe change the shapes up like a lumbar pillow.
January 10, 2013 at 8:02pm     
jagood
Consider where you would place pillows while using the sofa. We should not be required to move pillows before we can sit down. If I arrive as a guest in someone's home, and they say sit down, and I can't because there are too many pillows on the sofa or chair, I never know what to do with them. Same thing with a bed. It's silly to have to pile a bunch of pillows on the floor in order to sleep in a bed. I like a sofa with one or three pillows (really comfy ones - different sizes), and a comfy but beautiful throw casually draped over an arm - a situation that invites one to take a nap or lean against a cozy pile of pillows at the end of the sofa while reading a book or watching TV.
January 10, 2013 at 8:13pm   
jagood
By the way - I really like your room, especially that great rug, but not the pillows. Sorry.
I have used this page on Room and Board website to help me with pillow decisions. Hope it helps. http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/ideas_advice/design_ideas/pillow_collections.ftl
January 10, 2013 at 8:16pm   
Darzy
Zineb...Check out Pier One Imports..they have great pillows that coordinate and are on sale now!
January 10, 2013 at 8:23pm   
Darzy
Check out this picture.. Notice the difference sizes and textures of the pillows? Also, if art is out of the budget...maybe you can paint the walls a horizontal stripes on the FP wall for more style for little cost? Or, get only 3 pillows and spring for a piece of art for the left of the FP. : ) I'd get a red toss blanket for the sofa. Pier 1 has some really soft ones in pretty colors.

January 10, 2013 at 8:45pm   
pcmom1
Art, for now, can be very budget friendly.

I suggest heading to Aaron Brothers and picking up some very large canvases. (They are currently having a great yearly sale!). Then head over to the fabric store and find some bright graphic material and put on to the canvases with spray adhesive. And since canvases are so light they can be attached to the wall with very small nails.

Another option to to cover with art paper or even wall paper.
January 11, 2013 at 9:22am   
michigammemom
Love this ideabook on the art of selecting throw pillows. I think you are on the right track, but agree that a mixture of pattern and solid would be optimal.
January 11, 2013 at 9:28am     
June Noel
Where did you get your arc lamp?
January 11, 2013 at 10:12am   
LoveModern Deco
The arc lamp is from cb2 and so are the pillows and the coffee table. The carpet is west elm and the sofa bo concept the media unit is ikea.
January 11, 2013 at 10:30am   
More Discussions
Help! What to do with empty spots!!
At the advice of you sweet Houzzers, I ditched my tall...
Covered patio flooring
My mothers mobile home has a covered porch with outdoor...
What companies make grey painted kitchen cabinets?
I'm trying to avoid custom made cabinets. Does anyone...
How to blend modern and classic design for my bathroom
Our house has the classic clive christian Victorian/regency...
What is Australian style?
Australia: it's a big, brown island that has taken...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.