Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Picking a color scheme for master bed and bath
curacaoblue
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have purchased a new home and are having difficulty choosing a color scheme for the master bed and bath. What color should the walls be? We will change anything except the plumping in bathroom. We got this grey and cream bedding from Barbara Barry and new furniture from Bassett so we want to keep that too. Are open to any other ideas, please help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Aggie Purvinska
If you are open to dark paint, I think the bathroom could sport a dark brownish paint and the bedroom could do some kind of white background beige print wallpaper...

The printed beige bedding kind of limits your colors IMO.

These are my two picks off the bat, first is for the bath and second for the bedroom.

[houzz=Stone Brown 2112-30 by Benjamin Moore]

[houzz=Albero Floreale, Grey]
January 11, 2013 at 7:06AM   
curacaoblue
In case it helps this is a better shot of the color of the bedding in the store. I'm looking for all decorating ideas...like what lamps, curtains, etc. thanks!
January 11, 2013 at 7:15AM   
Aggie Purvinska
Alright without knowing anything about you or what you like, here it goes:

[houzz=Mr Brown Sofia Lamp]

[houzz=Woodcliff Lake 980 by Benjamin Moore]

[houzz=Velvet Drape]

[houzz=Bergmann Mirror]
January 11, 2013 at 7:23AM   
curacaoblue
I like the lamp and mirror a lot. I wanted to bring in a color other than neutral but am not sure where to start. The rest of ,y home is blues and greens. Here are a few rooms for reference
January 11, 2013 at 8:27AM     
Aggie Purvinska
In my opinion the neutral bedding is limiting your options, it's se4verely neutralizing, you can easily bring in blues and greens had it not be for the bedding...
January 11, 2013 at 8:38AM   
14thstreet
Blue would be pretty, as shown on the coverlet of the display bed, but it appears you already have a lot of blue in the house. A plum or smokey lavender would be lovely with that bedding. I also agree with the lamp, mirror and drape choices that AggieDesigns is showing.
[houzz=City Drama- Monaco Model in Jersey City NJ]
[houzz=Delafield Modern]
January 11, 2013 at 8:46AM     
Aggie Purvinska
YES, PLUM!
January 11, 2013 at 8:47AM   
curacaoblue
I like the plum idea. Just a bit worried about how it will darken the room. Right now there is an accent wall. Would you do a plum accent wall? If so what color for the other walls?
January 11, 2013 at 9:55AM   
14thstreet
As shown in that first pic above, you could do the accent wall in plum, then the rest of the room and bathroom in a lighter greige color.
January 11, 2013 at 9:58AM   
PRO
Prime Walls
Plum is a great colour to use in conjunction to grey! I certainly agree.
A patterened, textured wall paper would be great for the accent wall, gives you the colour and a statement piece for the room.
Here are a few examples;
http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/427 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/373 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/949

Whickham Gray by Benjamin moore is a light grey/beige colour that would work well with your colour scheme, current bedding and the warm dark furniture you also have in your room. You can bring it into your bathroom as well.

Accent pillows in the purple you choose for on top of the bed, also get a purple throw for the end of the bed to tie it all together!

Prime Walls
January 11, 2013 at 11:19AM     
PRO
Cheery Curtains
For your master bedroom, blackout drapes will be a must. Cheery Curtains has lots of nice curtain designs you may like.

For more curtain designs or if any questions, please feel free to contact me.
January 11, 2013 at 8:26PM   
ahillswife
I like the gray duvet on your bed. And your furniture is beautiful! I think there is a lot that you can do with your room. One color idea is a navy, yellow & gray color scheme. Lavender & mint would also look nice together for some accent pillows & a blanket on your bed. For the walls I would google benjamin moore top selling paint colors and choose one that you think would be the best fit for your room. In addition, since the master bath is close by I would use the same color to pull the two rooms together in 3 shades lighter or darker depending on your taste.
January 11, 2013 at 8:55PM   
ahillswife
I would also suggest the silver accent pieces on your walls and silver lamps for the night stands. Keep in mind too that for wall art that it should be large in scale like your furniture. Smaller objects cheapen the look of a room. Unless they are being used in a repeated order like a gallery wall.
January 11, 2013 at 9:14PM     
curacaoblue
I like your ideas, do you have any suggestions for windows? The bars currently there were left by previous owners. I just have Linda right now
January 11, 2013 at 9:19PM   
curacaoblue
Blinds not Linda. That was an odd autocorrect :)
January 11, 2013 at 9:20PM   
kathleen MK
I love the plum/ smoky amethyst color for accents like pillows and a sheer swag or valance over the blinds. I'd keep the walls a light neutral maybe picking up on the silvery greys in the bath.Go for the plum and amethyst bath accessories.
What style of paintings do you like? I just did some silhouettes of a friend and her husband which could go with bold or traditional. Find something like that to personalize your room. Even a vacation snapshot can be blown up into a poster size piece and framed.
January 11, 2013 at 10:47PM