Professionals
Users
Really feeling this green us this too much
armygirl1987
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Is this too much
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
amandaewright
That's a LOT of bright green in a very small space. I'd like it as an accent, but I think it's a bit much in the quantity you have it. You could probably benefit from a secondary, more neutral, colour for some of those other pieces.
January 10, 2013 at 7:15PM     
colorkat3
This bolder green is headed in the right direction, but keeping everything monotone doesn't give the room enough interest. It seems you like vibrant color, so do I, no beiges or browns in my house. Let me ponder this a moment.
January 10, 2013 at 7:18PM     
armygirl1987
How about that shower curtain
January 10, 2013 at 7:25PM     
colorkat3
I feel the shower curtain needs to be something with less yellow in it. With the cool tones of the slate and the white consider something with blue-gray, teal, pewter, or a green that is grayer or brown in it.
January 10, 2013 at 7:26PM     
colorkat3
Do you like purples? Plum or a grayish lavender would be pretty.
January 10, 2013 at 7:34PM     
judianna20
January 10, 2013 at 7:37PM     
armygirl1987
Like the plum
January 10, 2013 at 7:39PM     
colorkat3
I like the color in that third picture, but the floral is fighting the tile style wise.
January 10, 2013 at 7:44PM     
armygirl1987
It is funny that you would say that my daughter room is purple right now and technically it is her room so the purple might just be what I need. Instead of trying to make it my bathroom. Lol
January 10, 2013 at 7:45PM   
colorkat3
I'm new to this site so I don't know how to transfer pictures I find on here to the post, otherwise I could give you some examples like I see other people doing.
January 10, 2013 at 7:49PM     
armygirl1987
Ok like the lid right. will try to see if i can get the shower curtain in that color
January 10, 2013 at 7:54PM   
colorkat3
I'm picturing a soft plum or lavender maybe with a sheen or ruffles all the way down, if you want to go girly. Something with stripes of purple, silver or gray, and white would look more contemporary.
January 10, 2013 at 7:54PM   
armygirl1987
I normally do it from my phone cause it is easier, but you hav to save it to your computer and then attach them
January 10, 2013 at 7:55PM   
armygirl1987
The room is the hallway and my daughters, she is not girly at all, sorry.
January 10, 2013 at 7:56PM   
abbshel
My bathroom is similar - what about something like I have in "ocean blue?" I will attempt to post pics.
January 10, 2013 at 7:58PM   
heatherd1968
If you both like the color (which I do) I think it looks great. In reality the shower curtain will be pulled back and the accessories will be at the sink etc... A towel the pulls it all together may help. Perhaps a green, cream and brown stripe.
January 10, 2013 at 8:01PM     
armygirl1987
@heatherd1968 which color and @abbshell, love that shower curtain where did you get that one.
January 10, 2013 at 8:07PM   
colorkat3
The grayish blue-green is a pretty good choice, if you have to go a little lighter than the lid cover that might add some dimension. I think stripes or solid will be your best bet.
January 10, 2013 at 8:07PM     
armygirl1987
I like this
January 10, 2013 at 8:10PM   
heatherd1968
Have you bought the green stuff? Can u return it?
January 10, 2013 at 8:11PM     
armygirl1987
Oh, I got thee green and the blue from Target, the shower curtains are old ones from my bathroom
January 10, 2013 at 8:12PM   
armygirl1987
I needed to see how they look, so I bought two set
January 10, 2013 at 8:13PM   
abbshel
Angela, Thanks! I got my shower curtain from Bed, Bath, and Beyond last year. The maker is Chenab One.
My coordinating towels are made by Royal Velvet.
January 10, 2013 at 8:19PM     
armygirl1987
Thanks Abbshell, gonna go there tommorrow.
January 10, 2013 at 8:25PM   
heatherd1968
What about a modern print towel such as Orla Kiely?
January 10, 2013 at 8:28PM     
armygirl1987
Obasessed
January 10, 2013 at 9:04PM     
Susan Shaffer
keep the small pieces in green and try to find a new curtain that has the same green but also the other colours of the bath and tiling
January 10, 2013 at 9:07PM     
armygirl1987
I love that heatherd especially since it is in the green that I like, i got a shower curtain from Target like that today
January 10, 2013 at 9:09PM   
armygirl1987
So find a shower curtain with the blue, white and grey.
January 10, 2013 at 9:11PM   
kzcampbell
Looks like a very small bath I'd stick with the beige and brown theme and throw in a splash of color like the green in hand towels, soaps, small accessories . Love that color green.
January 10, 2013 at 9:14PM     
Bonnie

A rug with a little pattern..
January 10, 2013 at 9:26PM     
heatherd1968
I think what everyone is saying is have an injection of color. A neutral shower curtain would be best and get a patterned set of towels or bath mat. That way you can also change your accent color as often as you wash your towels!
January 10, 2013 at 9:32PM     
armygirl1987
Yeah, I am going hunting tommorrow, did not know that it would be so much work. Only because this is little different from what I am use to. All the colors I love so it is so hard to pick.
January 10, 2013 at 9:36PM   
kzcampbell
Love this rug but with white subway tile. Don't think it would compliment your square brown tile.
January 10, 2013 at 9:44PM   
armygirl1987
Love the rug too, but the price,
January 10, 2013 at 10:13PM   
Natalie
Hi---keep the green (first pic)---looks nice with this shower curtain---CB2... Good luck! http://www.cb2.com/fan-coral-shower-curtain/s394010
January 10, 2013 at 10:54PM     
heatherd1968
Love the cb2 shower curtain. Bright, neutral, modern and it has colors you can accent with, ie yellow towels. Brilliant find!
January 10, 2013 at 11:14PM     
Bonnie
Here is a photo.. see how they broke up the green with a dramatic accent towel that pulls in some of the brown...

January 11, 2013 at 9:40AM     
armygirl1987
I absolutely love that idea of breaking up the green. That now makes more sense now. I see that I was trying to match up too much but I really like the green and see that I can fit it in there.
January 11, 2013 at 12:15PM   
Bonnie
I don't know how you feel about the zebra motif but if you like it here is a place that has brown zebra towels, waste can etc... I think you might be able to find it at Target or Bed Bath & Bey as well. I really like the green with the brown.
http://townhouselinens.com/products/Zebra-Brown-%26-Tan-Shower-Curtain-%26-Bath-Accessories-By-Creative-Bath.html
January 11, 2013 at 12:31PM   
armygirl1987
Sorry not a Zebra motif person maybe on a pair of shoes or handbag, that is the jist of my zebarism if that is a word. Thanks and lol.
January 11, 2013 at 12:35PM     
armygirl1987
This trip us not looking good.
January 11, 2013 at 5:28PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
not only is the color strong for the space the mood is different
try a textured natural tanish color fabric, no pattern keep it simle as the shower walls are not simple
January 11, 2013 at 5:31PM     
armygirl1987
Then again
January 11, 2013 at 5:32PM   
hillaryu
too much green.
January 11, 2013 at 5:36PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
the best idea is to install a glass shield leaving about 24" clear space to entry the tub
January 11, 2013 at 5:42PM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
it seems there is beige tile and the multi toned tile along with the white fixtures
January 11, 2013 at 5:43PM     
armygirl1987
Got the green part, the one on the right is plum and one on the right is color block natural.
January 11, 2013 at 5:43PM     
armygirl1987
@Gary, yes it is the Ferro and Silk Blanco with chrome, glass is not in budget right now do curtain is the cheap alternative until the next update. I am doing both bathroom updates and will do enclosures later.
January 11, 2013 at 5:50PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
ahhhhh come on.......cut out a few dinners out and the wine for a couple of months and shower in STYLE
January 11, 2013 at 5:52PM     
pauli12
I use all white in my bath so I can bleach everything... it always looks clean. But I know that is not what most people like.
January 11, 2013 at 5:52PM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
use what you have until you can do the glass, the glass could be about $500.00 each
January 11, 2013 at 5:53PM     
armygirl1987
I like that idea of the white so simple and easy.
January 11, 2013 at 5:57PM   
armygirl1987
Ok so Target might make a liar out of me. grey, blue sheer and white
January 11, 2013 at 6:19PM     
maxv65
If you need to ask, then its too much...for you. The problem isn't the quantity of green, but the brown colored shower tile. if you cant change that to match the white of the shower valve wall, then I would find a checkered white and green shower curtain and call it a day.
January 11, 2013 at 6:24PM   
kzcampbell
I have an all white bath, white subway tile half way down the walls, old fashioned black and white small tile floor, white pedestal sink white everything. A few months ago I painted the upper half of the walls and the ceiling (which is slanted under the eves) that soft spa blue. Beautiful but I'm tired of it already. Before I changed my towels and rugs out often, apple green was my favorite. Think I'm going back to white although sand might be nice!
January 11, 2013 at 6:26PM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
did no one like my idea of eating in for a month or two and going with the correct solution of glass? call and get a quot
January 11, 2013 at 6:27PM     
armygirl1987
So this the current update, just complete this. So I cannot change the tile. I got the part that it is too much green, I am just mow trying to find shower curtain
January 11, 2013 at 6:32PM   
armygirl1987
If it was my bathroom I would so do the white but this is my daughters bathroom and hallway bathroom.
January 11, 2013 at 6:34PM   
Darzy
@GARY FINLEY..I would like your idea of the glass partition if I loved all of the visible tile.
January 11, 2013 at 6:34PM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
thx Dar
January 11, 2013 at 6:35PM     
Darzy
Angela..one way to freshen up the room is to NOT use the typical bathroom section/rubber backed rugs. No toilet seat "rug" actually looks more updated. A regular "area rug" with the rubber matting underneath works great and accessories that are not your typical bathroom items. I like the green shower curtain you selected. Oh..get a plastic "cap" for the bolt sticking up from the toilet. Those little things make you feel better too. : )
January 11, 2013 at 6:40PM     
armygirl1987
Final pick
January 11, 2013 at 6:41PM     
armygirl1987
@Darcy you answered my question about toilet lid and yes the rug makes do much more sense. I am just gonna slow down and use what I got for now.
January 11, 2013 at 6:48PM     
chief88
I would delete the waste paper basket making it basket type, add a white with green and brown pattern shower curtain. I would also add texture with some basket type tissue holder. I would also add another color to the green towels like hand towel with a color from shower curtain, ie brown or white. I am fond of green but this is too much in a small space.
January 11, 2013 at 6:51PM     
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
vote with Gary regarding the glass shower door. It will make the room look larger and brighter. No toilet seat cover and no rug. just use a tub mat. Then you can add green accents like the towels and soap dispenser. paint the walls a smokey lavender brown, Chartreuse green looks fabulous with lavender.
the color needs to be neutralized to go with the gray brown tile.
January 11, 2013 at 8:34PM     
pauli12
I Wouldn't a glass door covering the entire span of a bath tub be a little 'un- wieldy"?
That would be a huge expanse to pull back and forth. The great thing about a shower curtain is that you can throw it in the washing machine and get it really clean.
My shower installer tried to get me to go for a glass door but I just wouldn't conform.
January 12, 2013 at 3:28AM     
chief88
Glass doors always look great but are to much work to keep streak free and pretty!
January 12, 2013 at 4:08AM     
pauli12
If what is behind them looks great... I guess they do, Chief. I actually had another reason for not wanting them and that is I didn't want to see everything sitting in there. I use several shampoos and rotate them out but leave them in the shower. I hate looking at extraneous stuff.... so I thought better of having the doors for me.... others I am sure are not prone to having so much in the shower.
I agree, keeping them streak free would be something that needed to be done daily. I spray my shower with a combination of 12 vinegar half water with a drop or two of dawn dishwashing liquid and it dries the shower streak free and keeps the mold down. I wash the curtain every 3 or 4 weeks.
January 12, 2013 at 4:13AM     
armygirl1987
Update...so I found a different green rug but it is clearly too big but it is the color that I want. Cannot put a wicker basket dual flush toilet. Think the towel is going where I was thinking. What about accessories should I stay with chrome or too much on top. Thanks so much
January 13, 2013 at 8:08PM     
armygirl1987
Update
January 13, 2013 at 8:11PM   
daszc
I like your new choices. I think it was too much solid green. The pattern really livens it up. I even like the large rug. Stainless is neutral, so it looks good, but doesn't stand out.
January 13, 2013 at 9:07PM     
myeverydaycottage
Love the final picks! :)
January 13, 2013 at 9:43PM     
jccbaker
Green towels and rugs are fine. The light reflecting off the green shower curtain will make it more difficult getting your make-up color right. (Same reason not to paint a bathroom yellow.)
January 13, 2013 at 9:48PM   
jansgirl
I so dislike glass shower doors but then I live in an area of hard water deposits. If you (and everyone using the shower) are religious about using a squegee there is a chance of survival. Otherwise, it's easier to change a curtain liner. How about two shower curtains??
January 13, 2013 at 9:59PM     
PRO
Cheery Curtains
what about these drapes? For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
January 13, 2013 at 10:14PM     
cyn222
Instead of green towels, how about throwing in some grey blue or even a soft grey to rock the rock. LOL!
January 14, 2013 at 12:33AM     
pauli12
I love these colors cheery curtains. And they look good with the chrome. I like the new green rug and towels too angela.... now you are on your way!
January 14, 2013 at 2:34AM     
armygirl1987
Thanks guys, you guys rock, this us awesome feedback. Will keep the updates coming. I am OCD do I won't stop until I get it right.
January 14, 2013 at 8:47AM     
armygirl1987
Update thanks to Target. Not sure if I am feeling the white curtain, think I have to go back curtain shopping.
January 14, 2013 at 7:37PM     
chief88
I agree white curtain not the answer. I did like the white with brown accents from abovehttp://st.houzz.com/simgs/5222bea600f0bd15_7-4330/home-design.jpg
January 15, 2013 at 5:20AM     
armygirl1987
I think I saw that at Bed and Bath
January 15, 2013 at 5:51AM   
Carrie
I love pale aqua blue with this green, so think you should stick with one of your choices...(attached photo). Lose the floral rug and any toilet seat cover/mats. Add a white "memory foam" mat, solid, pale aqua towels, your green towels and add black tooth brush, soap dish etc. accessories.
January 15, 2013 at 5:56AM     
Susan Shaffer
I think that a small bathroom needs less and the glass half shower partition is good.
Maybe even leave off the toilet sheet cover.
less is more
January 19, 2013 at 3:48AM     
PRO
Ingrained woodworking Inc
I'm enjoying this thread. I love greens and tend to over do it myself. I would skip the seat cover personally. It has this floating out there blob of green feel. I think my favorites so far are the curtains with some horizontal striping. But more like wide bands instead of close more repetitive stripes ( sorry for the poor terminology everyone lol). I do like glass partitions too but until you are ready, curtains are perfectly fine in my world. Glass takes more effort than curtains to stay clean too. Squeegee.
January 19, 2013 at 5:36AM     
pauli12
I do like the white. I just love white. But, you have to 'feel it" like you say!
January 19, 2013 at 6:51AM     
tjaklitsch
A little off topic, but my shower installer told me to use Rain-X (yes, the stuff you wipe on your windshield) on my glass shower enclosure every 6 - 8 months or so. GENIUS!!! The water beads right up and the squeegee is just a quick swipe. Dries beautifully every time.
January 19, 2013 at 7:10AM     
Mila Williams
I must disagree with the white shower curtain. It looks like out of place in this bath. Try to find one that bridge the accent green with neutral tones.
January 19, 2013 at 7:15AM     
Bonnie
Not feeling the white shower curtain...
January 19, 2013 at 7:35AM     
Susanna
I know I am late to this party, so you may have already finished this bathroom. I have to weigh in on the glass. Men tend to love it because they don't usually take as many baths as women, if at all. Most are shower only guys. And, at the risk of offending said males, they often are not the ones to clean the crazy things.
I am currently paying to have mine ripped out and a new tub put in. why? two reasons: sectioning off an area in a small space-even with glass-makes it feel even smaller (you go from a small box to an even smaller box) and you can't take a bath very well without the tub ledge. In fact, it ruins the ambiance for a bath completely. i feel like a goldfish in a rectangular fishbowl. I do not have claustrophia but this small enclosed, water filled, glass box will do it to many of us. And, in a small space, you are constantly banging into the door. Sheesh....Obviously, I vote no and can't wait for the demolition in my bathroom on Monday.
Love the green with the chocolate brown. It's like key lime pie with a chocolate crust. Yummy colors!
January 19, 2013 at 8:22AM     
sealedesign
smaller print with green and white, everything smaller to fit the scale of the bathroom. Love the first green shower curtain with the white lines but it should be in reverse. Mostly white with green lines. I do the same as you and just buy and try everything. In the end the solution is much simpler and cheaper than I thought it would be. I do like the green, brown, white scheme you are trying.
January 19, 2013 at 8:57AM     
armygirl1987
I am definitely going with the green rug, either of the towel set, I order two shower curtain. The one suggested by Natalie and one from a different thread with grey and white from West Elm. Hopefully either one works because I wont stop until I get it right. Thanks for all the help and by the way I also have another bathroom.
January 19, 2013 at 9:42AM     
Holly Mayeux
I like the curtain with horizontal stripes. Would not do a lid cover tho and maybe a small white rectangular rug...
January 19, 2013 at 2:30PM     
armygirl1987
These are my final choices for shower curtain. I cannot figure out how to upload the pictures. http://www.westelm.com/shoppingcart/?cm_type=gnav&cm_sp=GlobalLinks-_-Topnav-_-Cart http://www.cb2.com/fan-coral-shower-curtain/s394010
January 19, 2013 at 8:39PM   
PRO
JWinteriors
Hi Angela! One thing i like to do in bathrooms, is use a double rod and put window panels on it with a clear liner behind it. That way it gives height to the room (84" vs 60") the clear liner lets me see the beautiful tile and gives me so many more choices of fabric. You can tie back both panels or leave them hang to hide stuff. 84" clear liners are sold at bed,bath and beyond.
January 20, 2013 at 12:10AM     
PRO
JWinteriors
Hi Angela! One thing i like to do in bathrooms, is use a double rod and put window panels on it with a clear liner behind it. That way it gives height to the room (84" vs 60") the clear liner lets me see the beautiful tile and gives me so many more choices of fabric. You can tie back both panels or leave them hang to hide stuff. 84" clear liners are sold at bed,bath and beyond.
January 20, 2013 at 12:11AM     
armygirl1987
@JWinteriors, what color panel would you recommend, like that alot. I also like the one from @jansgirl.
January 20, 2013 at 12:33AM   
PRO
JWinteriors
I go to jcpenneys and look at their selection..also bed,bath and beyond...even target has nice panels ..i would look for cream and gray pattern..zebra,paisley, geometric. Then green hand towels and long rug..no toilet seat cover.
January 20, 2013 at 1:00AM     
armygirl1987
Thank you maam
January 20, 2013 at 1:10AM     
armygirl1987
What about these two curtains
January 22, 2013 at 5:49PM   
armygirl1987
Will these pics fit in the bathroom
January 22, 2013 at 6:07PM   
armygirl1987
Bed Bath and Beyond curtains
January 23, 2013 at 4:33PM   
armygirl1987
Another set
January 23, 2013 at 4:39PM   
armygirl1987
Hi Natalie, the curtain you recommended came in. What do you guys think.
January 23, 2013 at 7:11PM     
tjaklitsch
Wow -- That curtain is a keeper!!
January 24, 2013 at 4:46AM     
Natalie
Love it---looks Great!
January 24, 2013 at 5:58AM     
Judit
yesss!
January 24, 2013 at 6:23AM     
Jean Tuck
I actually like the curtain for myself but it might make rm feel more spacious to use a lighter tone of the wall color founf in tub surround, well maybe. Its to small a room in my opinion for burgany or I would use that , or soft pink with tiny splashes of green as in tub surround for a more femine look.Silver / pewter for taps and soap dishes etc maybe even basket or back of commode if it was painted either pewter or green or comination there of, keeping tiny colors and lest designs in all areas in my opinion adds tospaciousness of tiny rms.
January 24, 2013 at 6:28AM   
armygirl1987
Yes I love it but one more question do I use the same towel set from earlier or should I change the towel set
January 24, 2013 at 6:30AM     
Natalie
Angela---I like the towels exactly as shown in the photos with the shower curtain. It looks fun-and uncontrived. I Love the Large pattern-perfect for a space that size and the organic element softens all the straight lines/edges of the sink/vanity and tiled floor and walls. I think it's a keeper. :)
January 24, 2013 at 7:05AM     
calikym
Use plain colored towels, in the shades of green found on curtain and/or white. The curtain is lovely btw.
January 24, 2013 at 7:11AM     
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Good morning Angela,
Looks like you've had a lot of advice, so I hope I'm not repeating anything.
I don't think the problem is too much green, I think it's too much SOLID green!
Try a shower curtain with a pattern that incorporates both that green and some other colours in your bathroom like the colours of your tiles. I'll look to see if I can find an example to help you out.
Good luck and have fun!
Caroline
January 24, 2013 at 7:13AM   
calikym
I there a different location for the basket of towels currently sitting on the toilet tank? Keep the toilet clear of stuff; it takes away from the curtain too.
January 24, 2013 at 7:13AM     
PRO
Here's a visual for you.
With some more hunting you could find one that also incorporates some of the darks from your tiles.
(Up to you) I love the green, and if it's what makes you happy then you can make it work with a little "tweaking"! :)
Please send me an after photo when you're decorating project is complete!
Caroline
January 24, 2013 at 7:31AM     
Genevieve
If you like a neutral like the shell of the Pistachio I don't know but I really like the choice that you have made with a hint of blue .
January 24, 2013 at 7:37AM   
armygirl1987
Okay guys, I get the part about that it is too much green from the initial post. I will include my green in the room in some way fashion or form. I get that I need to include browns but I am having a hard time finding this. The current curtain was order and I am using that. Please if you can just include where I can buy.
January 24, 2013 at 8:35AM   
armygirl1987
@jansgirl where did you locate that panel.
January 24, 2013 at 8:50AM   
armygirl1987
@WhatsInsideDesignLTD-where did you locate the curtain
January 24, 2013 at 8:52AM     
armygirl1987
@GeneiveComito do you have a curtain in mind, the pistachios is a good example
January 24, 2013 at 8:53AM   
calikym
I just received an email from AllModern and there are some perfect shower curtains in there for you! Here is a funky one but there were some others. Btw, i have no association to that company. http://www.allmodern.com/popups/media_viewer_images.php?sku=NDY1646
January 24, 2013 at 9:24AM     
PRO
Hi Angela,
The shower curtain I recommended is from Crate & Barrel.
The pattern is called Seaglass.
:)
January 24, 2013 at 9:58AM     
armygirl1987
I really appreciate all the help.
January 24, 2013 at 12:53PM   
armygirl1987
Blue chocolate, green brown drapes, natural drapes, lavender drapes. Found these today.
January 24, 2013 at 4:25PM   
armygirl1987
Back to blue
January 24, 2013 at 5:14PM   
armygirl1987
@Genevieve Comito is this what you mean by Pistachio
January 24, 2013 at 5:18PM   
armygirl1987
Is this Pistachio
January 24, 2013 at 5:25PM   
pauli12
I bet you are drained from thinking about this so much! That is how I get and sometimes I have to back away and get some perspective. And some direction. I wish you well, ANgels.
January 24, 2013 at 6:18PM     
sealedesign
The plaid one you posted is my favorite but when I look at your tiles and tub, i think you need a natural look, so I'd do the white with brown trellis flowers.
January 24, 2013 at 6:40PM     
armygirl1987
@pauli12, yes I am gonna give it a break this weekend and then come back to it. I am not sure do I stay with the green, do I go with the blue or there is the ideas that I get and I cannot find the picture. Brain is fried right now.
January 24, 2013 at 7:23PM   
Lkristine
I see you have many ideas and posts........so IMO, leave the green rug originally posted, and add this shower curtain, and these decorative towels over the top of some white bath towels. http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Sherry-Kline-Abingdon-Black-Velour-3-piece-Decorative-Towels/6423866/product.html and this shower curtain...... http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Lime-Funky-Zebra-Curtain/7602077/product.html Not overly feminine, but beautiful!
January 24, 2013 at 7:24PM