Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help choosing colours to update our home and any other suggestions
Melissa Gennings
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I love our new home but it looks dated and needs a change. We would like to replace the siding but are unsure of which colour to go with. I would also love to hear any other ideas and suggestions. We just updated the landscaping, have replaced the roof with weathered wood shingles and I have taken the white trim off the windows. I know it needs some obvious changes like door colour and new lights and I would love to hear suggestions. Any changes to the porch? I love the look of square columns with brick on the bottom but not sure if it would work with our home or what colour brick we would use. It looks boring to me right now and I know it could look so much better.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Scott's Creative Home
Your idea of square columns could give you a larger architectural element . Adding one or two complementary colors to the columns will add visual interest. It won't be necessary to add brick at the base as you have a brick face just behind the columns and the added brick will not stand out.
January 11, 2013 at 4:32AM   
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
January 11, 2013 at 4:42AM   
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
I love a dark olive green siding with even a darker shade on the shutters, like the above photo... :)
January 11, 2013 at 4:44AM   
PRO
Lindus Construction/Midwest LeafGuard
GAF has a free virtual home remodeler program on their website that allows users to select a house that looks similar to theirs or even upload a photo of their home. From there, the user can play with different colors of siding, roofing, stone, trim, etc. Check it out at: http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residential/Virtual_Home_Remodeler?CBViewer=8176. Best of luck!
January 11, 2013 at 6:26AM   
Dar Eckert
I can see your home in medium gray color with dark gray trim. Remove the shutters and add square pillars as planned. Then paint your door a spring green or yellow color. Although the photo is a different style of home it shows the gray and green colors. Your home is lovely a couple of chairs on your deck or swing and you've got it.
Block House
Entry
January 11, 2013 at 6:54AM   
PRO
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
If you are looking for more than color suggestions, you may want to consider a vinyl cedar shake siding in the gables, with a square gable vent (rather not use the existing half circle sunburst deco) .
January 11, 2013 at 6:55AM   
More Discussions
Soapstone "enhancer"???
My installer used a product called Ager, a " color...
Need house plans with separate living area for elderly
Married couple with two teens and elderly mother. Need...
Wavy floors
I have spent a lot of money remodeling a house I recently...
Looking for someting to go on the wall in my dining room
Looking for something that does not compete with the...
What does your entry say about you?
Do the spaces we live in tell a story about who we...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.