Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What colour???
frecklefrog
January 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have painted the walls in my living/dining room white and i can't decide what colour to do my kitchen. I could do a blue/grey to pick up the accent colours of my sideboard and picture or white or any other suggestions????
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mmilos
Is the first picture part of your kitchen? If so, I'd leave the color as is. Beautiful!
January 10, 2013 at 11:19pm     
frecklefrog
Yes it is.....but I dont like the colour. Is it not too dark for the white? and to me it doesnt go with the floor!!!! Interesting isnt it different tastes? Lets see what other comments this gets...I also hate the light aarrrgghhh
January 10, 2013 at 11:28pm   
PRO
Chic Fish Atelier
If you like the white wall, you could just make simple color bands that surround the white wall. In this way, the blank remains the main color, but it will be noticed more surely. The color for the bands could be blue / gray as you said.
January 10, 2013 at 11:44pm     
lanaelaine
I would agree that the colour of the furniture and the flooring are warm tones and do not match the cool grey tones on the wall. A couple of pictures with both tones and some brighter colours would change the focus to the brighter colours in the pictures. Another idea is to find a picture that you just love and use the colours in the picture for your colours in your house. This will likely give you a palate of coordinating colours to use for paint colours, bedding, towels, curtains and accessories. Many paint supply places can scan a piece of paper, fabric etc and mix your paint a very close match to the colour of your sample. If you don't like the intensity of the colours in the picture, just get them to put in a quarter of the normal amount of tint for that colour. If it is too light or too dark then have them adjust the amount of tint added. Having said this some individuals are drawn to subtle neutrals so have a look at posters etc with those types of colour harmony as well

I hope this helps and good luck.
January 10, 2013 at 11:48pm     
PRO
Shanghai Linfeng Parquet CO.,LTD
We think the wall with white color could be OK in your kitchen,it is bright and warm.
January 11, 2013 at 12:37am   
pauli12
It is so much about personal preference.... I always prefer lighter colors ...light greys or whites. Everything looks good to me! I would do what you like.
January 11, 2013 at 4:05am   
frecklefrog
Thank you all for you comments. The problem is the cabinets in my kitchen are off white which is why I was leaning towards the idea of painting the walls blue/grey. Can't afford to change the kitchen. Any suggestions for the light above the dining room table?
January 11, 2013 at 8:07am   
pauli12
I like the one you have there now. Is there a different style you prefer? Look at lighting showplaces to see what you like. The whole area looks minimalistic so you could really go anyway you want.
Sorry... I am not much help...
January 11, 2013 at 8:45am   
frecklefrog
I like the big mesh ball looking lights but I think one of those would block out my picture.
January 11, 2013 at 9:31am   
pauli12
That is true... your picture is your focal point. Well, the one you have looks good and doesn't try to take over for attention.
January 11, 2013 at 9:47am     
ahillswife
How about the color sea salt by sherwin williams.
January 11, 2013 at 11:12am     
ahillswife
Here it is.
January 11, 2013 at 11:14am     
ahillswife
Or nibus blue by benjamin moore
January 11, 2013 at 11:17am     
ahillswife
Another option would be to go 3 shades lighter than your wall color shown in the connecting room.
January 11, 2013 at 11:19am   
matin12
if i were you i painted it with a light cream some thing which is set to your white kitchen & your furniture then draw some thing on the wall or some lines with a darker cream i think it make your home warmer & you can feel relax
January 11, 2013 at 11:56am     
frecklefrog
Love the Nibus Blue ;)
January 11, 2013 at 5:56pm   
frecklefrog
My house is small which is why I wanted to paint it white. At night when all the lamps are on and throws are on the sofa it looks warm and cozy and the oak floors give it warmth
January 11, 2013 at 6:02pm     
PRO
ANZY
Hi, this is a very interesting web page and I have enjoyed reading many of the articles and posts contained on the website, keep up the good work and hope to read some more interesting content in the future. Thank you so much.
January 11, 2013 at 6:16pm     
Shannon Casey
Go ahead and paint it white like the other walls. I think that would look great. If at some point you want to go back to colors, it will be a very easy job. But for now it will give you a very classy, integrated look!
January 11, 2013 at 6:20pm     
bastma
I would recommend painting it white and wallpaper the long wall in Darcy from Graham and Brown. It would give the room elegance. Your spaces are beautiful.
January 12, 2013 at 6:36am     
bastma
Here is a sample
January 12, 2013 at 6:37am     
frecklefrog
@ bastma.......Love the wallpaper. I live in a house full of Males, elegance isn't something I had thought about lol but this looks gorgeous.
January 12, 2013 at 9:28am     
amucha
We did grey horse in our kitchen. Revere pewter would be good as well.
January 12, 2013 at 5:27pm     
everalston
an idea for your lighting, you have a lovely picture on the wall so why not look at getting a down light or a snazzy spot light and point it at the picture to make it more of a focal point.
January 12, 2013 at 9:10pm     
marlisdunnusa
It looks like the rest of the areas visible in the photo, are all painted white, except the front room which is grey/brown. So I would paint the rest white. I do like the grey/brown color though. The color is a good background for the earthy textures of the furniture, but it's too much brown and does not match the rest of the rooms. I agree to match the color of your cabinet or one of the grey/green tones of your painting in the dining room might work. Apply it to just one of the walls visible from the grey/brown room.
January 13, 2013 at 7:29am     
Elena Cosmina
first picture: tent of green and the second: white with some stikers
January 13, 2013 at 11:53am   
bastma
@frecklefrog: The trend is ceiling mount lighting for your dining room, I would go with a nice stylish semi-mount ceiling chandelier like picture attached. You know, to go with your elegant wallpaper space. Can't wait to see updated pictures. Good luck!
January 13, 2013 at 3:30pm     
bastma
Semi-mount light attached
January 13, 2013 at 3:31pm     
Susan Shea
love these rooms and color combo. Honestly wouldn't change it. The only element I'd consider adding or changing is a small rug here or there and a large thing or two on the console - getting rid of the little things on it.
January 13, 2013 at 3:45pm   
frecklefrog
@ Susan Shea Thank you for your kind comments. The console has a wooden basket for keys, a candle and a wooden plate for fruit which doesn't have any fruit on it in the picture. I have had several rugs but I have a very hairy dog and he just makes rugs dirty and likes to throw up on them for some reason aarrgghhh. I have to have the picture montage on the sideboard because I am a Brit living in Canada and I miss my family very much so need to have pictures of them and thought this was the most tasteful way to do it.
January 13, 2013 at 6:52pm   
Susan Shea
:) Me too. Very hairy dogs here. Your wood floors are gorgeous and I like your photo display too. Your space looks clean, light and calm. love it,
January 13, 2013 at 7:00pm   
feeny
@frecklefrog:
This is going to sound bizarre, but may I suggest a midnight snack for your dog? We had one with that particular habit each morning, and it turned out it was just from an empty tummy over night. One dog biscuit before bed and an early breakfast solved the problem.
Okay, back to design issues.
January 13, 2013 at 7:16pm   
frecklefrog
@ feeny.....Like the top tip. He has a treat at 9pm and breakfast at 6.30 am. He hasn't been sick for about a year but I bet if I bought a new rug tomorrow and put it down he would be sick on it haha.....Anyhoo what colour should I paint my kitchen?????? LOL
January 13, 2013 at 7:25pm     
hanabee
Go for the Sea salt, a fresh grey blue. it will contrast nicely with the wood and match your console there. White is only successful if ALL is white otherwise it looks like no personality there.. Be brave and take the plunge. Is that your dog on top of the cushions? What a life!
January 14, 2013 at 2:06am     
thilmanowski
I recently (last week) had my entire first floor painted "natural linen" by glidden. I love it! It is such a light airy color and it complements my cream trim well. My hard wood is a very similar color to yours and it looks great. I picked the swatch up at Lowes or Home Depot. Unfortunately, I had Revere Pewter (BM) painted in the office and it looked horrible with my cream trim, so I am going to have to repaint that room... Hope that helps.
Tara
January 14, 2013 at 3:39am     
tallykathy
I love the picture of the light fixture batsma sent - it would look great in your dining area.
January 14, 2013 at 7:19am     
frecklefrog
I am leaning towards the blue/greys. And yes tallykathy I too love the light picture bastma posted and I am going to go look for one tomorrow but one without the bling coz thats not my style....
January 14, 2013 at 8:18am   
sullenbj
I too love the kitchen color but if you want a lovely blue-gray try Ben. Moore Beach Glass to soften all the visual angles and lines going on in this area and it will compliment the off white cabinets. If you have the space, have you thought about swapping the dining room and kitchen credenzas and putting a taller lamp with COLOR in the dining room ? As far as the chandelier, check out this link lighttp://www.shadesoflight.com/mesh-screen-shade-chandelier.html. Might be tough on the budget but the color of the fixture will bring interest to your ceiling. A nice driftwood chandelier would be pretty too.
January 14, 2013 at 8:31am   
washcoat
BM Mount Ranier Grey is a beautiful blue grey that changes slightly with light.
January 14, 2013 at 8:45am   
frecklefrog
Love love love Beach Glass....couldn't find Mount Ranier Grey???? sullenbj couldn't find chandelier???/
January 14, 2013 at 9:15am   
sullenbj
see if you can open from the attached file.........
January 14, 2013 at 9:51am   
washcoat
BM mt. rainier gray, 2129-60
Try that.
January 14, 2013 at 12:25pm   
PRO
Tracy Penner, Landscape Architect
Hi Freckle Frog I really like what you've got going there. And I actually think the dining room light matches your art work -- the curved stems and the cup shape of the lights mimics a bunch of tulips.

Colour wise, for your kitchen I think whites with your existing cabinets could be too tricky.

The neutral, pale greys with a touch of green tones will pick up the colour of the dining room cabinet and blend beautifully with any type of cream kitchen cabinet.

I would stay clear of blue grey -- unless there's lots of red brick and heavy timbers in the room, it is just too cold for too long up north of the 49th!

I used Farrow and Ball's pale powder in my north facing office in Vancouver and it feels warm through the sleety winters and cool enough in the summer.

*Bonus* Farrow and Ball paints are from Britain, and the colour palette reflects the colour schemes of Cotswold cottages and London townhouses. They have sample tins! Try skylight, light blue or pale powder. These may also satisfy your sense of nostalgia a bit.
January 14, 2013 at 1:02pm     
frecklefrog
washcoat....got it...love it. Tracy Penner I will look up Farrow and Ball thanks.
January 14, 2013 at 6:18pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.