Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Facade needs help!
heatherhogarth
January 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The soffit and eaves will be white like the windows but it still looks awful - do I stucco the brick or paint??
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angiesays
Live with it for a year and then see. Looks fine to me. The color in the brick gives such a grand structure much more visual interest than a large expanse of one color.
January 11, 2013 at 5:04AM   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Add some tall potted greenery to the front of the facade and wait a bit. It may grow on you. I think it's gorgeous! Love the driveway too!
January 11, 2013 at 5:30AM     
PRO
Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
Is this an addition?

The roof overhangs are not consistant with the rest of the house, the EIFS is out of character also.
There's a dark dead end corner not to mention a darkened entry area.
January 11, 2013 at 5:39AM   
Dar Eckert
I think I would paint the stucco entrance before I painted the brick. Maybe painting the stucco a shade darker leaving the detail around the door and window the current color might create some interest. You need to get more light in the entryway. Paint the door a light color such as yellow to make it more of the focal point. Add flower urns.
It would be helpful to see the facade together with the rest of the house to comment better.
January 11, 2013 at 5:50AM     
charleee
It looks like the rest of the house is brick, can you continue the brick to make it blend in, instead of standing out?
January 11, 2013 at 5:51AM   
Jayme H.
Agree the stucco would look better darker & may make a BIG difference! And a litte entrance decorating!
January 11, 2013 at 5:56AM   
heatherhogarth
Lots of good input! Yes, I plan on decorating with urns, and agree a darker stucco may help and a lighter entryway is a good suggestion. still concerned that the stucco does not connect with the brick. Perhaps stucco quoins (i know a better photo would have helped here)on the corners of the house? We added the stucco to cover 4 different brick patterns on the front.
January 11, 2013 at 8:24AM   
charleee
Perhaps pick the darkest colored brick, and paint it that color?
January 11, 2013 at 8:32AM   
PRO
Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
I think a wider shot (photo) of the house would give us a lot more insight on what can be done.
This small area of the house is part of a large composition. The home, as a composition, needs to work as a whole.

Otherwise, you're just deciding what tie to wear without taking into account what the accompanying shirt, suit, and shoes are.

What is your budget anyway? Did you just purchase the home? Did you just build the EIFS finish element as an addition? Did the previous Owner do the EIFS finish element and you're trying to correct that mistake?
January 11, 2013 at 8:56AM     
Jayme H.
Any thoughts of going partway up the front with the brick?
January 11, 2013 at 9:04AM   
kristinbenson21
Add a flower box under the big window.
January 11, 2013 at 9:26AM   
cassidyd
Allot of people are suggesting going darker but I don't think that is your problem. Paint the detail reveals and window and door surrounds an accent color. This will help to break up the the mass of the front entry. Also, relocate the lights adjacent to the porch and center them in between the porch and outside wall.

Here is a rough (very rough) picture for you. Good luck!
January 11, 2013 at 9:57AM   
cassidyd
Here is a second option if you painted it more of a beige to tie in with the brick.
January 11, 2013 at 10:00AM   
PRO
Leslie Hildebrand Interiors
The above picture is great having the darker stucco (a must I think) How about using your brick for the bottom section and even darker stucco stain on the top. This way it relates back and forth to the rest of the house. I don't know if it's too late, but I would also suggest bigger wall sconces by the entrance too. Potted greenery is great and perhaps a nice glass hanging fixture in the alcove entrance by the door to add some sparkle as it invites guests to door.
You might also consider staining your concrete steps too if they are a natural concrete. Or covering in a flagstone or other natural material would be lovely :)
Have fun - it's a grand entrance!
January 11, 2013 at 10:11AM