Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with drapes!
tusk22
January 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help with drapes in my family room. We have a new sectional from Arhaus, and a new rug from Turkey, the walls are Sherwin williams blonde. I have 2 pictures here, I hope they are helpful. I see that I missed the top of the window - we have 9 foot ceilings, I was thinking of having the rod close to the ceiling for longer drapes - and color?? Darker to pick up the rug? Normally I go light, but I'm gaining appreciation for the richness of adding more color. But maybe light drapes are better - I just don't know!
Thank you!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
Defintely hang the drapes close to the ceiling. And I would recommend going a bit darker than the walls, and picking up that red tone in the rug as a vertical band on the leading edge of the panels. Whatever you do, do the same for the sliding doors.
January 11, 2013 at 7:52am     
Aja Mazin
January 11, 2013 at 7:57am   
mmilos
Nice looking room. A neutral linen a little darker than your walls would add some richness. I don't think I'd go red and definitely not patterned...just subtle texture. You could also go with a dark charcoal gray like the dark color in your rug.
January 11, 2013 at 12:24pm     
Holly McCord
You have a nice look going there - what would you think about wood or wood-look blinds in a medium wood tone? Is the top of your window frame square or arched? The blinds might look good going only half way up, unless you have a great need to block sunlight in the afternoons. If you go with drapes I would definitely go medium tone neutral solid color or tone-on-tone. Hang them slightly outside the window frame and higher up to maximize the amount of light that can still come in.
January 11, 2013 at 12:36pm     
Norma Sassone
I agree on drapes to ceiling. lighter color linen or silk - you could have a tone on tone pattern, but the highly patterned rug is enough of different color pattern.
January 11, 2013 at 12:43pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Drapes to the ceiling and bring in the color of the sofa.
January 11, 2013 at 12:59pm     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
if you go with DRAPERY (a noun not a verb) my little joke...... drape the wall, not just the window
January 11, 2013 at 6:20pm     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
their are many lines at this point, and adding two panels of fabric will not be the best. Is it possible to pull the sectional away from the windows? I would then do full length drapery to the floor and nearly to the ends of the wall
January 11, 2013 at 6:23pm     
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
Stick with neutral tones. A dark color will kill the room and be too somber. Mount the rods at the ceiling.
Straight panels no tie backs or ruffled valance. Ph interiors recommendation of a burgundy band on the lead edge will give the drapes a crisp custom look. Same on the sliding doors.
January 11, 2013 at 6:23pm     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
a darker tone will also create a great deal of contrast to the light of day at the window the neutral will be softer and allow ease of looking outdoors
January 11, 2013 at 6:29pm     
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Drapes form ceiling to the floor add much luxury and light colors or cheery pattern designs may work better. Cheery Curtains has lots of fantastic curtain designs you may like and here are some.

For more curtain designs or if any questions, please feel free to contact me.
January 11, 2013 at 8:12pm     
Manon Floreat
I'll echo Interiors International and recommend repeating the sofa color on the drapes. Perhaps a bit lighter. It looks like a similar color is in the rug. To get adequate stack, you may have to swap out the artwork to the right of the window for a smaller piece. You may consider layering drapes over shades that are a similar color to your lamp shade to underline the already rich feel of your room.

January 11, 2013 at 9:04pm     
janishill
Drapes high and wide.
January 11, 2013 at 9:30pm     
kat674
Yes, two panels wide each side.
January 12, 2013 at 7:23am     
calikym
Darker drapes to block light reflecting on TV screen. It might be annoying to watch your flat panel without really blocking the light.
January 12, 2013 at 7:35am   
Kate Peterson
I love Houzz!! We will be doing window treatments soon throughout our refurbished 60's ranch. This whole discussion has been so helpful, especially the "Do and Don't" diagram. We were already planning to hang drapes or panels high and wide, and this just confirms that plan. Thank you!
January 12, 2013 at 8:02am     
Norma Sassone
Not a fan of dark drapes. I'd say go with the light color but be sure they are lined so they block light and view from outside at night when you close them up.
January 12, 2013 at 8:36am     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
lining is meant also to protect the drapery, so as Norma mentioned be certain they are
January 12, 2013 at 8:37am   
luther6tx
With light color walls, I would go with the darker drapes, or maybe a medium color Linen weight and yes, as high up as you can go.
January 12, 2013 at 9:14am   
tusk22
This is the best - I am loving all this advice. Thank you so much everyone for your input!
January 12, 2013 at 9:49am     
Aja Mazin
For an elegant look, I agree with Manon Floreat.
January 12, 2013 at 12:28pm   
caricampbell
I also agree with Manon Floreat. Quick question- does that floor lamp have to be next to the couch because you need the light? If not, I'm wondering if your room would be better without it. I think the electrical cord is bothering me.
January 12, 2013 at 2:04pm     
barbara21
I agree the curtains must be to the ceiling. I also think a tray on the ottomon and remove some of the stuff off the fireplace.
January 12, 2013 at 8:25pm   
barbara21
Oh, I forgot to add beautiful couch. Is it made of linen?
January 12, 2013 at 8:25pm   
bonnielynn75
Stripes!
January 13, 2013 at 5:21am     
pivoines
Go with manon floreat the off white , lined , it will finish that absolutely superb room to perfection.
January 13, 2013 at 6:14am   
beesknees2260
You have a pretty room. I would not do fancy drapes. We have installed drapes with grommet top that slide open/close. We have blinds under them. Wood bamboo shades underneath would look nice and warm in your room. I am using heavy material now and will change to a lighter weight material come warmer weather. Personally, I never spend much on drapery and find great buys at sales or make them. I use a lot of panels per window for fuller look which looks expensive not skimpy.
January 13, 2013 at 8:55am     
kitchenbathdesigner
grey with large grommits (dont think i spelled that right) to put the curtain straight thru drapery rod (with nice finials on the ends of the rods) and do interesting tie backs. material of curtains, i would do a thicker material with shears underneath in very pale gray or white. I really think the gray will be nice contrast to wall color. not burlap but a material that is textured and thick like that but softer of course!
January 13, 2013 at 9:51am   
Aja Mazin
Cayenne Thai Silk Curtain
January 13, 2013 at 11:20am   
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
Since you're open to darker draperies, I'd recommend going with a light filtering blind first, to add some texture, then do stationary side panels even in a print! Hunter Douglas has some great blinds, and although I didn't find the "right" pattern for you, you get the idea with the treatment. Chrysteen
January 13, 2013 at 12:28pm     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
Is your sectional gray? I happen to think a simple contemporary (transitional) pattern would look terrific and would make the windows more important than a light solid would. It would bring some interest and pattern up onto the vertical.

January 13, 2013 at 12:31pm     
apennameandthata
You MIGHT want to have them off centre so that the middle of the window lines up with the axis through the rug and ottoman. That would mean cantering them on the left panel and making it look like the middle of three.
January 13, 2013 at 1:32pm   
noankwaters
I'd go floor to ceiling with draperies in the color of the couch (pull a bit away from the windows), but with a border of the red/orange from the rug/framed picture and the same on the sliding door. You could also use the charcoal from the rug with border mentioned.
January 13, 2013 at 6:04pm   
Raina Steinmeier
Most people seem happy to tell you "I would do this/that."
I am a decorator who happens to believe that the window treatment is one of the most important features in a room, because it can affect so many facets of your room decor: proportion, repetition (or not), symmetry (or not), scale, etc.
In addition, the practical concerns of privacy, heat gain, airflow etc, often put constraints on the aesthetic goals.
Lastly, when you've already put all of the other elements into the space prior to the window treatment, you create a larger challenge with selecting the perfect materials in the end!

If you will email me full photos of the room that illustrate the whole floor-to-ceiling windows, and tell me what style/feeling you would like to achieve with curtains etc., then I'd be more than happy to offer you a set of three illustrations of window treatments in your room along with suggested materials free of charge. This is just like the Power of Three / Window Treatment Design Package I offer my clients for a fee --- just without the physical samples of materials selected. Let me know if you'd like to take me up on that!
January 13, 2013 at 8:21pm     
Shirley Voutiras
I would suggest pale grey drapes in a natural material, and dark grey blinds inside drapes. Should look smart.
January 14, 2013 at 2:00am   
Crystal Chavez
Loving the color palette you chose! The mix of neutrals with patterns and leather- superb! I think bringing out a bit of the red tones would be fun!

Welcome to Warmth by B Fein Interiors

Living Room

George Street Family Room
January 14, 2013 at 11:08am     
PRO
Julia Wakely Interiors
I would choose Pottery Barn Emerson linen drapes in ivory in a 96" length. They are lined but are light and airy and will finish your room off beautifully.
January 14, 2013 at 9:28pm   
Lucy Erbn
Have you thought about shutters?
January 15, 2013 at 4:21am   
bjowen
YES! to the blind/drape combo. Texture on the blind, linen drape. Well done, ladies!
January 15, 2013 at 7:37am   
Carolina Girl
Whatever you decide to do at your windows please purchase enough fabric to have matching sofa pillows made. Also mix colors of pillows to bring in the wall color.
January 16, 2013 at 1:25pm     
pivoines
Blind and drapes in a neutral tone , off white , grey or linen are all great ideas, I think the pillows you have now are great ,I would not change anything else.
January 17, 2013 at 4:26am   
tusk22
Well....if it were me I would hang drapes from the ceiling in one or two tones lighter than your sofa....don't go red...too passé and too expected. Hang the drapes on the wall not the window...and always listen to your sister :) go with a light roller shade or grass / bamboo shade. Xo
January 17, 2013 at 5:47pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
it seems we may be done here, good luck
January 17, 2013 at 5:50pm