Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help with Girls Bedroom
Mary Metzler
January 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Please help me with this bedroom. My two daughters (ages 11 and 4) will be sharing this room. Need help with stain color of red oak wood floor. Color scheme of room including furniture. Thinking of painting headboard shown dove white. Any other possible ideas would help.

Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
For a girls room I would keep the floors as light as possible. You might consider a bleach and or white washed finish. It is a hot look and you can see it in Coastal living Magazine. Every issue has at least one house with them.
January 11, 2013 at 2:41pm   
Mary Metzler
Thank you so much for your imput. I love the idea. I am agonizing over this decision because our second floor is all carpet and eventually I would like to rip up the carpet and have the red oak floors refinished. I feel like I am making a stain choice for the whole second floor. We have six children and when they were young and crawling carpet was a good choice but soon I would like to change it . Do you still think I am able to use a bleach finish? Our home is a traditional Georgian style. Please help.
January 11, 2013 at 5:04pm   
TanCalGal
Complete a floor plan for room & closet. I like this one: http://www.ehow.com/how_7244848_set-room-layout.html

Finish wood floor the same as you would the flooring in rest of house. Probably a mid-tone. Not too dark, not too light.

Twin beds on East wall with a tiny table + lamp between. With floor plan, U might be able to move beds around and find a unique placement: say, 1 under North window & 1 under East window etc.

First choose bedding & area rug & then choose paint color for head boards and walls. I always tried to design a kid's room that will look good with unmade beds + have beds easy to make. I like this one. White walls and duvets and printed sheets & pillowcases + bright headboard.

Closet space will be a problem. With this room, I might paint the interior closet yellow + with white hangers. Closet is slightly deeper than most: move rod(s) forward and have bookcase behind for stuff?
January 12, 2013 at 1:54pm   
Mary Metzler
Love the suggestions! Thank you so much. I finally feel like I have some direction. Would you be able to recommend a minwax stain color? It seems as though everyone that I like is a custom mix and no luck on finding the make up. I was looking at the dark walnut but I thought it might be too dark. Any advice would be appreciated. The doors in the room are stained. Maybe I should try to match them.
January 13, 2013 at 5:30am   
TanCalGal
Floor appears sanded and ready for the finish?

This is an article on choosing paint color. I'd follow the same steps for floor stain. Buy small can & test on a board or in closet. If U end up mixing 2 stains together keep track of % you have used for a pleasing color. Walnut is too dark. I'd try natural alone, and then Gunstock alone, and then a combination of the 2 to find the tone I liked. http://www.lindaholtinteriors.com/2011/07/testing-wall-color-101/

Don't match the doors. It is OK if doors are darker than floors. See photos. Hill Country Contemporary Pulp Design Studios

For even coverage of stain I think U need pre-stain wood conditioner then stain then polyurethane for protection.
January 13, 2013 at 11:17am   
Mary Metzler
Floor is sanded and ready to go once I find a stain color. I love the colors of the floors that you posted. I wish I could find a exact match. Right now I am blending 1/2 special walnut and 1/2 dark walnut and adding just a little red mahogany. I am looking for a midtone rich brown color. That will look good throughout my home. I think natural is too light for my Chicago home but I will get a sample of gunstock also and try that. I really appreciate your help. This is a DIY job. My husband sanded floors and will be staining them. Maybe I could get him to do some test patches.
January 14, 2013 at 10:35am   
elklaker
Have you tried Early American? It's always been a good choice when we refinished red oak floors.
January 14, 2013 at 10:47am   
TanCalGal
Early American does look good.

Also, some begin with Fruitwood (instead of Natural) as a base and add other stains to that. Take your time so you end up with something you like.
January 14, 2013 at 11:01am