Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need inspiration for a basement bathroom
scooterpig
January 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a basement bathroom which I hate. Any ideas on how best to update it? The shape of the room means that all the fixtures are at one end. Definitely want to change the vanity, flooring, shower, faucet, lighting, paint etc. OH and I are pretty handy and will be doing the work ourselves, but we need some inspiration on style. Open to all suggestions!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Being your gutting the place look at the pictures of bathrooms on this site. You will be blown away with the choices you will have.
January 11, 2013 at 1:27pm   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
If you're willing to go more contemporary, wall hung cabinets (see below) would look great and would make the room look larger because you see more floor. Do you want to continue to have a tub/shower or convert to shower only?

Chrome is the metal of choice in most contemporary work these days. And guess what, it's also usually the least expensive finish! I'd check out LED light fixtures and quartz countertops. Floor tile may have grown in size since the last time you looked at it. One of the most popular sizes is 12 x 24", and no, that's not too big for your bathroom.
Master Bath Kohler Stillness® Widespread Bathroom Faucet
January 11, 2013 at 1:47pm     
scooterpig
I love contemporary styling and wall mounted cabinets are a definite possibility. One of the problems with this room is that there's a narrow section as you first enter, and I'm unsure how to make that area feel a bit more like part of the room. At the moment it feels like you you have to go along a dark corridor before you get to anything relevant, and it means there's a long, very bare wall on the left hand side as you enter the room. One option I had thought of was putting a series of fairly long floating shelves on the right hand wall to draw the eye along towards the sink, but I'm not sure if this will just emphasise the huge bare wall even more. Lighting is also a concern as the only light in the room is above the sink.

I love big tiles and probably wouldn't consider anything smaller than 12 x 24 as a general rule except as an accent tile. We're thinking of tiling in the bath, but possibly using a vinyl tile such as Mannington Adura Vibe on the floor. We've used this in another bathroom already and have been very impressed with it. We do need to keep to a small budget of around $2k for this one as we have 5 bathrooms, 4 of which need remodelled (we've done one already).

I really like Silestone quartz for it's smooth appearance and have already used it in a light grey in the laundry room, and Eco Starlight in black for the bathroom we've already remodelled.

Any suggestions on a good colour scheme would be great. Because the only light source is above the sink I'm concerned about the 'corridor' area being dark.

Thanks!
January 11, 2013 at 5:52pm   
PRO
I would not put shelves in a narrow hallway as they will only increase the narrowness by closing you in further. I would also lay the tile across the narrow part of the room instead of lengthwise, thereby visually increasing the width of the room.
January 11, 2013 at 6:08pm     
PRO
I suggest you see if you can add a light in the narrow hallway into the bath. Make it a spotlight in a recessed light in the ceiling. It should have the special kind of bulb that creates a very narrow spot of light which you will direct on the floor or on a beautiful framed picture on the wall. Ask your lighting store about this kind of bulb.
January 11, 2013 at 6:22pm   
PRO
DINTIN
Shell tiles would be look great for bathroom.
January 11, 2013 at 6:26pm   
ellie0149
Be glad your bathroom looks so good..we are still living with purple in our basement bathroom..We inherited my family home,now I have to redo my old bathroom lol GL
January 11, 2013 at 6:52pm     
scooterpig
Adding lighting to the hallway part should help. Should I paint the room all one colour, or go for a contrast (maybe darker?) colour on the long wall?
January 12, 2013 at 8:28am   
scooterpig
Forgot to add, we're planning on keeping the tub as removing it would mean a huge amount of work and expense for a room that's barely used. There's also bedrooms in the basement and we think it's probably a good idea to keep the tub because of that.
January 12, 2013 at 8:31am   
PRO
If the tub is barely used, I would cover it with a floor to ceiling drapery mounted on a ceiling track.
January 12, 2013 at 10:03am   
PRO
I would paint the room all one color.
January 12, 2013 at 10:04am   
PRO
Dytecture
I like Carolyn's bath photo by by Dumican Mosey Architects. Here is something with the addition of accent tiles.

January 12, 2013 at 10:16am   
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
As far as the lighting goes I would add the recessed light in the hallway when you first walk in to brighten up that space and pick a new vanity light with at least 3 lights that takes regular light bulbs, you can use halogen lamps, krypton lamps, compact fluorescent lamps and LED lamps in a fixture that uses a regular socket, picking an LED one now I feel would be a mistake as the technology is changing so rapidly with them that what you select now may be obsolete a few years from now when the bulb fails...and they will fail, the bulbs do not last as long as they claim and the color rendering is horrible, they are years away from making LED's that are consistent in color and longevity, we have them in our showroom and the colors are all over the place, some are too blue and some are too orange and they are all supposed to be the same! Plus you don't get the sparkle that you get with halogen or krypton bulbs, the lighting is flat like most compact fluorescents, yuck!
January 12, 2013 at 10:17am