Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen design
Debbie Zimmer
January 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Help.. Trying to decide if I should take out the current bar/eating area and extend the cabinets down the wall towards the window and add an island.. I would definitely like to have a place at the island to sit and eat.. Not sure how much space is required around it.. therefore the size of the island is the question... The width in the kitchen area is 9'4" wide.. I am considering putting the wall oven on the opposite wall near the stove top...BTW.. we are gutting the kitchen and having custom cabinets made.

I really need some help.. I can send more pictures if you need.

Thanks
Debbie
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Dar Eckert
Your kitchen is very narrow for an island. There should be 40 inches on each side of the island for walking. So 40 + 40 = 80" Now if you have cabinets on one wall add those in so add 26" + 80"= 106".
Your room is 117" so 117"-106"=11" left for an island. Get a kitchen designer to make sure you have enough room.
January 11, 2013 at 1:43pm     
yvonnecmartin
I think that you would be better off extending the penninsula into the walkway and making the counter deep enough that bar stools fit underneath.
January 11, 2013 at 1:48pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
By looking ay your picture it seems that the 9'4" is from cabinet front to cabinet front. In other words your open floor space. If this is right you will not have a problem with an island. I would do it.
January 11, 2013 at 1:54pm   
PRO
Eagledzines
Are your tiles 12" square? When you said your kitchen was 9'4" were you talking about the part of the floor where there are no cabinets?
January 11, 2013 at 1:54pm   
Debbie Zimmer
The kitchen is 14' wide without the cabinets..so do you think an island would not work? If I put the microwave/oven on other wall do you think I would have room for an island?
January 11, 2013 at 2:03pm   
Debbie Zimmer
Yes.. the 9'4" is with the current cabinets...
January 11, 2013 at 2:04pm   
Debbie Zimmer
Tiles are 13 inches
January 11, 2013 at 2:05pm   
Debbie Zimmer
Was thinking for continuing the cabinets along the long wall and have the island in the center.. Just not sure the size of the island.. probably only about 3ft wide??? Maybe like 3ft by 6 ft.??
January 11, 2013 at 2:07pm   
Debbie Zimmer
Any suggestions/picture of islands that would work? I like the more traditional look... Would also be able to have some sitting.. like 3 to 4 people?
January 11, 2013 at 2:10pm   
Debbie Zimmer
Would also like to put a farmhouse style sink? Any opinions? Cabinets will be in maple with a med. brown color..Granite is Crema Bordeaux
January 11, 2013 at 2:13pm   
thislittlehouse
Please reconsider installing timber cabinets: They scream 1990 which is a shame after the thousands you will spend and the hassle of installing a new kitchen! Clean white is the way to go!

Could you please draw a floor plan for us so we can see what the adjoining rooms are? It is important to consider pathways through the space etc.

Elise :)
January 11, 2013 at 3:05pm   
Debbie Zimmer
Does this help?
January 11, 2013 at 3:26pm   
Debbie Zimmer
Anyone have any suggestions for an island? Or should I keep the same layout and just move the peninsula 2 feet into the keeping room?
January 12, 2013 at 7:04am   
PRO
Eagledzines
It appears that you could put in an island and sit 3 or 4 people and take the peninsula out and go down the wall depending on what you put on that wall and whether you took out the existing table. However I would suggest getting a kitchen designer in to measure and talk you about this space before going ahead. This is more of an on site job than getting tips. If I were your designer I would want to ask you some other important questions such as:

Are you on a slab or do you have a foundation (i.e. Can the plumbing be moved)? Are you getting new appliances besides the farmer's sink. What is your appliance budget? How many people in your home cook and or bake. Do you use the formal dining room a lot? If so, would you use a butler's pantry between the kitchen and dining room for dishes, glasses, trays, small refrigerator, serving spoons and plates etc? Do you entertain a lot? or do you use your pantry mainly to supply stored food goods and seldom used articles? Do you have feelings one way or the other whether to keep a pantry at all?

If you want to stay with stained wood cabinets i wold suggest going with a lighter granite or quartz so as not to darken the room too much. These are questions I would ask you if I were your designer to help me get a feel for how to arrange your space. I would also need all dimensions, to door and window casings and length of the kitchen and keeping room.

I don't see a coat closet. Is that something that might be important to you near the French doors before proceeding to kitchen design?

The answers to these questions and others would help a designer to give you the a kitchen that would work uniquely and most efficiently or you.

Perhaps others will chime in with some thoughts and ideas on this.

My best to you.
January 12, 2013 at 10:17am   
More Discussions
Open Concept / Plan - Love it or Hate it?
Do you love living in an open concept home or do you...
Help with empty space in basement
I am slowly starting to decorate my finished basement...
Any ideas on how to perk up this room?
Any ideas on how to perk up this room? Also, I have...
Have you ever sold a home as a "For Sale By Owner" transaction?
I've never been brave enough to go it alone when selling...
Ideas? Colors especially, Room size 14x14 (approx)
I have not much room, I have a long dresser, tall dresser,...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.