Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New cabinets
designideas4me
January 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Please tell me your thoughts ( as a designer) or a home owner who built a house or put in new cabinets......

Do the cabinets ideally need to match in the bathrooms and kitchen?

If so should they also match the furniture throughout the house which is visible to those cabinets................eg. The couch and table in the living room being scene from the kitchen.

If for example I do black and gray in the kitchen and the living area has more brown and beige tones than I assume this is not good.

Since I already have a large beige off white sectional and a brown couch am I locked into having to choose a brown or beige or cream color for the cabinets instead of a bright white or gray shade?

again I will just post a few pics to show you what I mean but I think this is the root of my problems in deciding. I want that gray white modern color scheme but feel it wont work with the cream sectional and the brown couch.

Maybe I should just sell the black appliances and get stainless.

I really dont want to be on here after my renovation asking how to lighten a dark kitchen ( which I see many saying). I already see that these dark cabinets make the room too dark and I want a brighter feel.

with the kitchen in view of the sectional that is light beige..........I just dont know what color to choose ( I love the white and stainless look) but will beige and white go together? I have a cabinet in the hall close to the table and couch and so I just dont think the white white will work.

yet the dark brown /blk seems too dark.

The fireplace and brown couch are across ( almost connected) to the kitchen. The fireplace will be finished and lighter. The rug can be bigger and lighter.

So what colors will work best for the kitchen?

why cant I figure this out. omg
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
Bath and Kit cabinets do not need to match - don't be afraid to mix it up a little!
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 1:43PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Lots of questions there. OK 1) no they do not have to be the same in the baths as the kitchen. 2) Black, grey, brown and beige can all work together if done correctly. 3) Stainless would brighten up your kitchen. 4) Yes white and beige will work. 5) because you are trying to use all your existing things that never really were good together.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 1:43PM
Darzy
Here is an option for your kitchen.

0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 1:46PM
PRO
Don vonAhlefeld, Hayes Cabinets Inc.
I have been designing kitchens amd baths for some time and I think it is the exception where all the cabinets in the house match. I think it looks much more thoughtful and custom for each room to tell it's own story. The trim in the house and the furniture don't really enter into the conversation except in rare cases. (like a kitchen window buried in cabinetry)
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 1:50PM
designideas4me
Ok so I dont need to use all the existing things. I am trying to figure out what to change. I like the sectional and rug in living room. I like the comfort of the brown couch. I can change everything else in the den ( room with fireplace). I can change everything in the kitchen ( I like the black refrig but I can sell it if I have to in order to make the kitchen how I want). I am tired of trying to decorate around this refrigerator. What else. Just tell me and I will make it my goal and do one thing at a time. I keep looking at wood floors and only like dark ( black) floors that look as one surface. Or very light pale white floors. I dont want 100 shades of brown. If I have to do concrete to get the gray look than maybe thats what I have to do. If the renovation costs 30k and I only have 18k now so I will save. I just want to decide on a complete look and color scheme that will work for the house and stick to it. Yes you are right. Individually I have purchased some high end beautiful pieces but as a whole they are competing and not working together. So lets try this again and hopefully keep most of what I just bought.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 1:51PM
designideas4me
The dark and light pic you posted is not a bad idea. It may be in fact the best way to bring both colors together. I cant do a big hood into the ceiling cuz no exterior vent but I could get stainless and brighten it that way. I just know it will be about 9k to get the appliances I need ( all) if I sell the blk jenn air refrig and micro which just cost $3,600 in the past 2 yrs.. I do wish I could make them work but how? I tried to paint the cabinets to look stainless and reverse the look of the popular kitchen ( dark cabinets and stainless appliances). Is that weird?
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 1:56PM
designideas4me
Hayes Cabinets Inc. - Don vonAhlefeld

So I should just finish the master bedroom and choose a color to paint the cabinets independent of all else? Same with the second bathroom? and laundry room ( white most likely) ?

Ok so what else links the house so it flows? The same paint color throughout? The painters tell me to pick one color. When I see houses with different colors in each room I dont like it. So does the color wall in the main living area look best carried thru to the bedrooms? Its all one level.

If thats not a factor than I am back to the floor.

That must be the main and first issue to be decided because that is what will go through the whole house. Right? Is the floor really the first choice..
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 2:01PM
PRO
Azimi Interiors
I like to keep one color throughout the house and then have accent walls where needed for a splash of color.

In order to have the rooms flow nicely together, I would recommend to use one primary color throughout and add pops of other colors in the various rooms. For example if you like grey, you can have one room with grey, white and silver tones, another with grey and black, or grey white and purple tones, grey and blue tones, etc. whatever you love! Just try to keep at least one item consistent to tie it all together :-).
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 2:13PM
PRO
Don vonAhlefeld, Hayes Cabinets Inc.
I agree with Azimi above, an accent here and there but a common theme throughout (not white!)
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 2:15PM
PRO
Arranged To Sell, LLC
I would bring in some warm wood flooring throughout the spaces. I agree that adding stainless would be a nice touch. I also love the kitchen picture that was added, you need new granite counters.

I would also suggest some color on the walls and maybe a neutral like SW Irish cream. Bring in more color with pillows, accessories and add new stools that bring those colors throughout. Good luck!
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 2:41PM
thislittlehouse
No one has ever regretted a light, bright kitchen! Go for it!

At the moment the dark kitchen is so dominant I can understand why you are having a hard time visualizing a solution! Paint them white (a clean, neutral white - not cream, not stark white) immediately!

There is a whole spectrum of grey out there - you could go with slightly warmer greys for the wall colour, rug, cushions, even splashback or counters that would work with your existing furniture and the (newly painted) kitchen.

:) Elise

Ps. Get rid of the black appliances. Stainless steel goes with everything, and will make a huge difference.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 2:59PM
PRO
STUDIO MB
Blacks, browns,beige,white, taupe, cream...etc all look great together..they are basically neutrals. Ae we looking at a kitchen that is in the middle of a remodel?
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:08PM
wmpj
I think the problem is your furniture is modern but your kitchen cabinets are not. It has nothing to do with the color of either. The color of your furnishings go with the color of your kitchen but the style of your cabinets don't match with your personal style. If replacing the kitchen cabinets are out of the question, perhaps adding contemporary door handles will help.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:24PM
designideas4me
Arranged To Sell, LLC

so step one is warm wood flooring? Does that mean it must be a shade of brown? I want very contemporary. Thats the goal. But not crazy modern that it looks out of place in the neighborhood. Should I forget about the concrete floor even if its in a shade of brown? I keep feeling that the lines made by the wood define the room. I cant put my artwork or other artwork that is not matching in a room with wood floors that show a defined grain... to me thats like a checkered rug and a pokadot pillow. I need simple. I dont like many patters. The picture in the floor above is nice. It looks solid. Can that only be achieved with a floor thats almost black? will the black floor make the house look dark and smaller. Everytime I go down this line of thinking I end with no decision. One decision I made is that I dont want a dark dreery or dark overly formal house. I like modern and simple and light.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:27PM
designideas4me
thislittlehouse... ok so this is the current state of the kitchen. Pic below. Maybe it should be my goal to do white cabinets and stainless. will that work for the whole house? will it work with the beige sectional and off white chairs? They will all be shades of white and cream. Can I still do the walls silver and grey? was the contractor I met a year ago the best option. Black maple glue down wood floors and tile in bath areas . White cabinets and silver gray walls and new large baseboards. The color was porpoise and the accent color was boat anchor... Have to look up the brand unless someone knows it.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:32PM
rmauld
White counter tops and island bench would be fab, replace the existing range and do a built in oven with stainless ones, and keep the black fridge, get white/ stainless bar stools, and stainless hardware for the cabinets.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:40PM
designideas4me
Maria Billingsley of J Hettinger Interiors
yep thats my ugly kitchen. It was oak then I stained it espresso than I sanded it to be repainted in a lighter color ( to be determined) and now I either decide on a color and paint it or just get new cabinets... I dont think I will ever be happy with it. First pic is how it looked when I bought house. Next pic was stained and enlarged the island. Next pic is with now doors and sanding in progress. whats the next pic? lol.................. me having a nervous breakdown? Or me buying a new house? I wish.

when I started this I just wanted new cabinets and I should have done it instead of looking for a quick fix. I should know I am only happy with new and perfect. I tried and wasted lots of money already. I stopped. I dont want to waste more.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:43PM
rmauld
Look at how good these black and white kitchens are :)
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:49PM
designideas4me
wmpj

Nothing is out of the question. you are right. And thats why I am stuck. I may just have to part with a big chunk of my savings and focus on new cabinets cuz I know me and I know I wont like those doors no matter what I do. Some people say the colors I pained them are nice and I should just get a new floor and put my money there. Here are 2 options. Trying to reverse the popular stainless appliances and dark wood look I reversed it with black appliances and silver cabinets. thoughts? This is metalic paint. One door is bronze and one is silver. Both look nice but its a look that will only appeal to me. Like most of the odd things I do in this house. 20-30k is a huge amount of money for me and I just want to be happy with how I spend this and not have regrets. as you see from the pic below all 3 rooms are so connected its like 1000 sq foot open loft ( on this side of the house) than a long hall and the bedrooms.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:51PM
designideas4me
The kitchen pics you guys chose with stainless and white are nice and I agree I will sell the brown stools and get white for sure. I cant see doing a blk frig and stainless oven and cook top.........or do all cook tops come in black anyway? I better do the cabinets to the window.. right? see how they end at the pantry. I mean I suppose I could live with the blk refrig til I can affords the stainless or is it best just to buy all the appliances at once as a matching set? Will the size fit most when doing the layout for the cabinets so it can be replaced in a yr or two?
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:57PM
rmauld
im trying to upload another photo look at this
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:17PM
designideas4me
what is an island bench? Did anyone like the color on the doors I pained or should I just get a shade of white new cabinets and stainless?
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 6:12PM
designideas4me
In looking at pictures of houses on the market in my area. I looked at some in the upper 100s of thousands and millions just to see what they use in the kitchen. Many houses are mediteranian and on several acres of land with vineyards but what surprises me is that the kitchens are not always perfect. And most have the same doors in the bathrooms ........... maybe its just custom homes that dont have it all matching but builders seem to make the cabinets match. Most have stainless but look at this one. And I even found polished epoxy flooring in 2 of them.
http://www.ziprealty.com/property/25652-EL-CHAVAL-PL-TEMECULA-CA-92590/79645341/detail

I think modern kitchens are just not seen in my area. Doesnt mean I cant do it. will I get a return on my investment if I do a modern kitchen and floor? http://www.ziprealty.com/property/39589-CALLE-CABERNET-TEMECULA-CA-92591/8759558/detail
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 11:40PM
designideas4me
Here is another........... see not all expensive houses have stainless and not all have wood. http://www.ziprealty.com/property/19319-CALLE-JUANITO-MURRIETA-CA-92562/8758394/detail
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 12:14AM
PRO
Arranged To Sell, LLC
These are all examples of kitchens with dark cabinets, wood flooring and stainless appliances. Still looks contemporary yet feels warm.

Oakhurst Residence
Madison St
Farmsworth Residence
7732 Butterrum Granite Formica® Laminate
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 6:27AM
PRO
Arranged To Sell, LLC
We recently redid our kitchen where we painted the cabinets white with a contrasting island color. I found kitchens on Houzz that I liked for inspiration. Our home is a traditional colonial but I tried to bring in some contemporary elements. I'm still in search of just the right stools.

Here are my before and after photos.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 6:34AM
Debbie Zimmer
What are the dimensions on your island?
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 6:54AM
PRO
Arranged To Sell, LLC
Just another thought for you to consider. If you look at our after photo above, we extended our cabinets to the ceiling by adding boxes with lights. This is something you could consider doing also with the addition of crown molding. Just a thought...

Adding a contemporary light would look nice also. Some examples:

Potomac, MD
Willowgrove Kitchen
guest kitchen

Stools:
Jill
photoarch
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 9:35AM
designideas4me
Arranged To Sell, LLC

How did you put glass upper cabinets above the others to match? looks great.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 7:11PM
designideas4me
Debbie Zimmer.......................... my island is about 7 feet by 3 feet. But its a problem. Its too close to the refrig and if I shorten it as it was before than I have 12 inches of counter before the sink and dishwasher. Nowhere to work. If I lengthen it on the other side it cuts in to the walkway and I have no room for a table. Why do they make kitchens with such bad designs????
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 7:15PM
PRO
Arranged To Sell, LLC
My husband is handy and has a workshop so he removed the existing crown molding and built the boxes in sections to go to the ceiling then added new crown molding. He inserted lights and frosted glass. I hated to space above the cabinets forever and now we are very happy with the results.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 8:35AM
designideas4me
wow. Can I borrow your husband. I hate that space too and when I have been pricing out new cabinets the price gets high because I am trying to configure it with cabinets that go to the ceiling and glass inserts.
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 2:08PM
designideas4me
I like the layout in your kitchen too. Mine is a long L also but I wish I had a sink under a window and an island with no sink. Its expensive to move the plumbing . Now I see why people buy houses for the kitchens. wish I knew all this 3 years ago. What was the total number of inches you had over the cabinets up to the ceiling? 12?
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 2:12PM
PRO
Arranged To Sell, LLC
I also look back to when we built at the things I should have done differently in the house. Some put in bigger windows over the sink, now I wish we had done that also. The space is about 11". He added false fronts to extend to the ceiling. Just for looks.

We have been in our house 13 years and now have started replacing all our moldings with taller ones, adding wainscoting and crown moldings to all the room. Here is a link to my blog that shows what we've been doing around our house.
http://arrangedtosell.blogspot.com/2013/01/projects-around-my-house.html
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 7:38AM
PRO
Wallmark Homes
Bath and kitchen cabinets don't need to match, in fact we have even done cabinets in the kitchen where the island is a different color and turned out great.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 8:50AM
PRO
SKYCREST HOMES LLC
Consider contrasting cabinet colors between with the island to make it pop from the perimeter cabinets. An example being an espresso stained island with with perimeter cabinets. This would allow the brown or white sofa/sectional to work.

You can also look at different door styles to make the various cabinetry look more custom.

We like to try keeping 40" between the island and perimter cabinets to allow for sufficient room for refrig, dishwasher, and walkway opening.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 7:39PM
designideas4me
SKYCREST HOMES LLC

Thank you. So If I go back to 40 inches from refrig to Island I am left with only 12 inches of work space on the side of the island closest to the frig. Not much space. Or I have to work on the island where the dishwasher is below me. Neither option is great. my only option based on where the island is would be to move it out..which cuts into the walkway..or move it towards the window..which cuts into the pantry access. For such a large kitchen the design and layout are terrible.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 9:52PM
kathleen MK
I think the reason you see matching cabinets through out a house is that builders buy them in bulk. I think it only matters in adjoining rooms. So if the kitchen opens to the family you wouldn't want the styles and colors to clash.
I'd concentrate on the flooring which needs to flow through all the spaces. A good midtone could go with either black cabinetry or lighter shades.
It sounds like you are leaning toward the Black, Gray., Cool White scheme but you have some pieces that are more in the Brown,Tan Warm White Range.
A warmer Gray on the walls and the island ( with a top that has speckles of the whole range of black, browns and whites.) might tie them together.

A crazy trick i did with trying out color schemes was to sketch a view of my kitchen in pencil then made copies that i used like coloring book pages. Yep Crayola crayons, but it helped me see the balance of the colors. more fun than photoShop to me.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 9:55PM
designideas4me
Thats interesting because I often think of this whole decorating design color scheme process as being similar to creating a painting. When I paint I can create that balance and flow but when I try to make it work with woods and granite and cabinet colors and all the other stuff it becomes much harder for me. I wish creating a beautiful kitchen was as easy as mixing paint colors on a brush or coloring with crayons. So how do I keep from ending up with a draw in 20 different colors ( like I did when I first moved in and stayed up til 3 am with my paints just mixing colors and applying them right to the wood. I assume you only allow yourself a hand full of colors to choose from for the cabinets and the floor? This is one reason I like stained concrete because you can make it any color you like.
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 11:00PM
PRO
SKYCREST HOMES LLC
Feel free to call me as I have a cabinet designer that will help you develop the most optimal layout given the space and she won't charge you to do it.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 5:51AM
Debbie Zimmer
Skycrest Homes LLC... I am need some advice on my kitchen layout... My cabinet guy is ready to get started on my cabinets, but I can't make a decision on the layout.. Is there any one that you know could help me with this?
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 6:15AM
maggiemae0552
I am new to Houzz & i think it is awesome that everyone including actual interior designers are so willing to share their ideas. You get great advice here when u ask questions. However, sometimes it helps & can save you money to hire a kitchen designer to come to your home and spend an hour or so looking at the space and giving you their thoughts. Pictures just sometimes dont capture the feel of a home as a whole. Then you can review all the suggestions and decide on a plan. New appliances will really change the room and paint can transform any area for not a lot of money (but please get good paint, i havent had nice results with cheaper brands). Redoing a kitchen is an exciting, scary process!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 6:37AM
PRO
SKYCREST HOMES LLC
Debbie - Call me and I can give you a few recommendations. Thanks
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:44AM
designideas4me
Well you know we are both named Debbie................. so we may both have to call you. It appears that people with this name cant make up their minds !
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 12:12PM
Debbie Zimmer
True Debbie... Already called Dan...very nice guy..very helpful
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 1:06PM