powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Furniture Layout for narrow living room with fireplace??
Jill Gunardson_Johnston
January 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This living room is the front room as you enter our 1954 modified ranch house. The end wall has a fireplace with a 6 ft wide fireplace (about 3 to 3.5 ft on either side). The left wall has a huge picture glass window. I have struggled with this room for a long time. I love the warmth the room provides, especially with the knotty pine wall on the fireplace side.

The dimensions of this room are about 17 by 12.5 feet (17 ft on one side with window and 13' 8" on the other wall.

Any ideas on how to make this a very inviting and warm place?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2dogssashatess
I think you need a big rug as the pine wall and all that pine floor and wooden tables is a bit much. Currently your wooden tables just blend into the floor. I also think you need some pillows of a different color on the couch
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:55PM
2dogssashatess
Artwork over the couch should be larger too. Can you enlarge your photos which are on the pine wall?
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:56PM
2dogssashatess
do you have a budget? Can you afford to replace furniture?
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 3:57PM
Trish
Definitely a rug. Larger art over couch, sconces flanking it. Mismatch the tables, Books on the coffee table. Throws on sofa and chair. Plants. Everything off of the mantel wall but a large mirror. candlesticks on either side in groups of 3-5. Nice room.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:04PM
collettec
To warm it up more, you could paint the room the wheat color of the lampshade of the lamp near the window. Definitely a rug with a pattern and color and pull pillows with color from that. A larger coffee table, perhaps a glass one. You could fit in another chair, in the area where the child's rocker is now in front of the window to create more of a conversation seating area. Perhaps could do a gallery wall of photos above the couch.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:16PM
PRO
Wabisabi Green
Throw pillows would add some color and comfort to the room. I like the idea of green to complement the wall color such as the leaf design below.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 4:26PM
marnau514
Paint the entire room Benjamin Moore Manchester tan including the fireplace wall. Keep the panelling it will give he room texture. One large painting over fireplace would be a better focal point. Put nice family shots elsewhere in your home. Area rug big enough that it slides 6 inches under front legs of sofa and chair would also be nice. Accent with pillows and the throw ad you're good to go!
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:34PM
John
Hey there, I would put some lights in each corner of the room. A rug with a different color coffee table. Also, you have a lot of green and brown, not a bad thing, the green shouldn't be the main color. More a splash color.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:39PM
John
Change the wall color to a beige color and your green will pop out, looking much cozier
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:40PM
John
Maybe..... Stain the wall the dark brown your mantle is, just an idea, but your wood wall and wood floor look kinda odd
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:43PM
judianna20
Paint all the walls white, including the paneled wall. Now your couch and stone fireplace are in sync. Replace the oversized chair and ottoman with two chairs in front of the window. A white rug and coffee table complete the room. Debra Ostrus
Powell High Back Accent Chair - Brown and Blue
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 4:56PM