Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Which backsplash for my kitchen?
ebonydiva
January 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'd like to add one. I've been reading that mosaic tiles are kind of played. Are they really? I picked these 2. Which should I go with?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teeooh
I like the lighter one. I think you will get better contrast with the counter and pull in the floor better
3 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 3:57PM
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
If these are the choices, definitely the one closest to the camera (the darker one). It blends well. For my taste, I would prefer something less busy. I would pick a quiet neutral from the counter top and stick with a solid colour in something simple like subway tiles, or a very subtle texture.
5 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:01PM
rosecottagehome
I also like the lighter one for exactly the 2 reasons teeooh stated. For my taste, I would be looking at a more neutral stone, in a natural shade of cream or beige as your granite is beautiful and the backsplash should not compete. Good luck. Lovely kitchen!
3 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:04PM
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 4:08PM
ebonydiva
Judith I like the backsplash in the pic link above.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:10PM
mom929
I too would pick something less busy so that the counter top could be the star. I think that both choices fight with the counter
7 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:13PM
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
I like it too but if you notice, they used it with a solid countertop. That way it is the feature.
3 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:33PM
charleee
IMO, granite generally has such a busy pattern that adding a multi-color tile backsplash is just too much.
3 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:49PM
caligirlsmom
I agree with some of the other posters that a more neutral/solid backsplash would not look so busy as either of your choices. Perhaps a cream, tumbled tile all over with a thin, horizontal strip of the mosaics or the lozenges running through the center or top third would add the sparkle that you want but not be so busy.
4 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:51PM
PRO
Zoltan Construction LLC
I agree with Judith designer. Something less busy and neutral
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 4:56PM
lkaustinen
I agree with the majority. A solid colour subway tile would look stunning. You can install it in a brick style for a more traditional look.
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 5:00PM
charleee
And you can find full sized subway tiles in glass, too.
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 5:04PM
PRO
Barbra Bright Design
I agree that your countertop should stay the focal point and not compete with your tile. Also, consider a larger sized tile. The photo shows Island Stone "boulevard" in cement.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 5:09PM
ebonydiva
Thanks for the suggestions. Back to the drawing board to find some subway or boulevard tiles. I certainly agree. Never really considered that it would compete with the counters. I don't want it to look outdated in a year or too busy.
2 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 5:14PM
mpoulsom
a solid beige or solid black (or whatever your darkest color is in the countertop!) Darker would be more dramatic.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 5:35PM
chelseabeagle
Both are too busy - your countertop is the focal point therefore the backsplash should be a plain single colour like one of the greys in the countertop.
0 Likes   January 11, 2013 at 10:04PM
Natalie
Hi---I really like this tile for you---a bit of glass to reflect light. Good Luck!
[houzz=
]
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 10:46PM
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
How is the 4" backsplash working for you? Instead of having another material above what you have now why not consider something with personality. Paint the splash and use a heat proof and washable ceramic platter, metal tray or ceramic plaque behind the cooktop strategically placed to catch the splatters. You can spot clean it or take it down and put it in the DW. You can place or hang complementary items adjacent to the area and/or you could coordinate with the decorative items in the glass cabinet above. I have attached some photos.
1 Like   January 11, 2013 at 11:31PM
Bonnie
Although both of your choices are beautiful they will be too busy when paired with the granite.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 9:57AM
PRO
The Tile Gallery
I agree that your selections are nice, but could be too busy paired with your counter top. The photo below is a clean and classic glass tile that would really complement your kitchen!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 11:42AM
PRO
LM Designers
Your kitchen is beautiful. I think your counter top is busy and should be the star. I would use a plain natural stone with a creamy color that looks good with the granite. The glass tile is just to busy and would detract from the stone.
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 11:53AM