Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Lamp--a yes or a no?
alohadragonfly
January 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is the wall across from my front door. The blue and white porcelain is a lamp that I use as a night light. I would like to leave that. What about the other lamp? Move the bamboo picture? Thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
The lamp is too tall and skinny. You'll need to place a lamp that balances the porcelain, and then re-hang the picture off centre to continue the balance.
January 11, 2013 at 5:37PM     
June Noel
Hmm... I like everything else but the lamp. I think the lamp is too tall? It's almost the height of the frame. Maybe if you want a lamp there, go with something shorter. Just my opinion.
January 11, 2013 at 5:39PM     
deidrem1
my vote is no. For me its a little too tall and skinny. Something where the lamp is about 3/4 as tall as the artwork and the actual lamp has some more visual heft.
January 11, 2013 at 5:40PM   
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
It's unanimous! The lamp doesn't work. The proportions are wrong. Find something chunkier that is no higher than the bottom of the current shade. and offset the art to balance.
January 11, 2013 at 5:47PM     
momx3
How about a mirror to replace the bamboo print? And of course a different lamp, or no lamp? What about a coat rack instead, to give some height to the area? Use the table for photos. I like a runner going over the table too, for texture.
January 11, 2013 at 5:59PM   
alohadragonfly
And the lamp is gone! I'm wondering if I need a lamp there...

Eventually we are going to paint the walls SW latte.
January 11, 2013 at 6:02PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
is the blue and white stays use no other lamp, remove the garden stools, add a low green plant
January 11, 2013 at 6:03PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
ops forgot the picture, try to replace is with something twice or three times the size or a mirror
January 11, 2013 at 6:04PM     
frecklefrog
I think it would look really good with a mirror and a shorter lamp. Those lamps in the previous picture with the glass base are gorgeous..
January 11, 2013 at 6:09PM   
judianna20
Not the correct objects, but using this pix for you to try this arrangement before you dump the lamp…rehang the bamboo picture to the right of the lamp. Put the night light in the tray along with an Asian plant. Ever thought of wallpapering that wall?

January 11, 2013 at 6:11PM   
Darzy
I think your "stuff" can work here. Move the lamp slightly to the right (left of center). Then, lower the bamboo art right of center (the top of the art should be slightly lower than the top of the lamp shade). Then, put the blue/white lamp next to the tall lamp. Remove the tray/basket. Then, remove one of the stools and leave just one in the center. So asymetry on the top and center stool on the bottom. So..3 items on top...tall lamp, short lamp, art and one stool below. Humor me...let me see if it works. : )
January 11, 2013 at 6:22PM     
lionnessone
Too tall, remove it and replace it with a ceramic or porcelain globe style in a blue-grey colour with an off-white shade. Replace the picture with a framed mirror hung horizontal or two black and white pictures hung on the vertical, off centered.. (See inspirational pictures)
[houzz="Venetian" Mirror][houzz=Crisp Architects][houzz=City: McDougald Residence][houzz=Just a Girl][houzz=Staircase]
January 11, 2013 at 6:25PM     
Manon Floreat
I have to agree with the others that say the lamp isn't right for the vignette. I don't like a mirror facing the front door. Feng Shui cautions against it as it is said to push all of the incoming energy right back out the door!

Since you already have a lamp on the table, think about a vase with fresh flowers. It think it would add life and welcome to the entry.

January 11, 2013 at 6:25PM     
alohadragonfly
So many ideas to think about. I do have a few oxblood vases and a large blue and white ginger jar. Thinking about trying a different grouping using the oxblood or jar. I like the idea of moving the b/w lamp onto the tray. I like the texture of the tray.
January 11, 2013 at 6:32PM     
PRO
Montgomery Communications
Yes, lots of great ideas. the picture buge me more than the lamp. consdier putting several others smaller peices with it for a grouping? :-)
January 11, 2013 at 6:59PM   
englishaccent
I took your picture and moved the items around a bit. If you notice the left picture is yours, the right is the new set up. As you can see I lower the picture so that the lamp is the taller item giving it a little more importance. This also creates a stepping down effect adding rhythm to the look. I took your beautiful jar and placed in on either some books or one of those black wooden vase pedestals. This too lifted your eyes to give the lamp some girth.
January 11, 2013 at 7:01PM     
chikachika
I would find another lamp that is Asian and a little shorter, I would use the great white stools somewhere else. I would move the cabinet to the right and put a bamboo tree on the left. This can have an up light placed in it to give a soothing feel. I would use the picture or some kind of Asian mirror over the cabinet.
January 11, 2013 at 7:20PM   
akso
If you want to keep the lamp (BTW, I also think the lamp is too tall with proportion to the table) and the picture, consider hanging the picture horizontally. However, larger picture would look even better. Or if you want to keep the picture, hung it slightly off center, to the right. Remove the two objects from under the table. Keep the blue/white object to the right. Hide the electric wires by running them along the baseboard.
January 11, 2013 at 7:31PM     
caricampbell
I'm not feeling the lamp. As everyone has said, it is too tall and skinny. A vibrant plant in its place (shorter and thicker) would be much better. Do you have the ceramic stools under the table to hide the vents? Otherwise, I would move them. It's drawing my eye downward and away from the the painting/accessories.
January 11, 2013 at 7:31PM     
alohadragonfly
Not married to the lamp at all. I removed one garden stool. I was trying to cover the vent. So unsightly.

Thoughts on the oxblood vase? I don't have any fresh flowers handy. Comments on this ensemble?
January 12, 2013 at 12:39PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The lamp is to tall for that arrangement. Changing out the picture for a large tall mirror would make it work. It is good to have a mirror in the entry so people can check themselves coming in and leaving.
January 12, 2013 at 12:46PM   
movethisnotthat
really the lamp was fine, just lower the print you have there as Darcy suggested, mirrors should never be opposite the front door, bad Feng shui. Great table !
January 12, 2013 at 1:00PM     
PRO
lowering the print sounds good. you could also keep lamp, and make new lampshade for it ala drum shaped. it would be up to date, and a long skinny shade could look awesome.
January 12, 2013 at 1:14PM   
caricampbell
I agree that you shouldn't have a mirror facing the door (it sends the good energy coming in right back out the door). That said, would you mind playing with the placement of your table? I'm wondering if you slid it to the left (towards the vent) so that the left leg is on the outside of the vent, would it look better? You will have to move the print anyway since it's too high, so you can slide it to the left and down (if the table looks better there). I realize that a portion of your table will now be under your light switches, but I'm just curious if it will look better. Besides, I like asymmetry.
Also, regarding the red pottery- do you have anything that is the same width but a little taller? Not as tall as the lamp, but taller. It may look better once the print is lowered, but right now there is too much space between the print and the objects on the table. The singular stool is better than two stools...

Question- what is that white container around the corner and does it need to be there? I'm wondering if you could move that away, and put the ceramic stool to the right of the table (if you move the table to the left), or around the corner where the white container is now.
January 12, 2013 at 1:17PM   
PRO
lampshade something like this one, long and simple http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/231279583.jpg
January 12, 2013 at 1:18PM   
alohadragonfly
Cari--I moved the cabinet down. Haven't lowered the pic yet. The white ceramic around the corner is an umbrella stand. Right now it has peacock feathers and a rosewood cane in it.

I just placed the ladder next to the cabinet to see if I liked it. Jury still out.

The cabinet faces my dr table so i would rather not have a mirror. I don't think my husband wants to watch himself eat.
January 12, 2013 at 2:35PM   
caricampbell
I like it better further to the left (I would actually push it even farther to make the vent look more centered). I don't mind the ladder, but I would push the cabinet more to the left. But what is really important is if you like it? :-)
January 12, 2013 at 2:44PM     
furrytoes
I have a similar air-intake vent in my entry way. What were the developers thinking??? I call it my "focal point from hell".....It helped (a little) to paint the vent the same color as the wall....I ended up putting a realistic low silk plant in front of it under the entry table....I hope someone has a better solution.....
You might try tracing the outline of your picture onto paper, and then move the paper around (use low-tack tape). It might help you visualize without having to put a lot of holes in the wall.
January 12, 2013 at 3:06PM     
akso
1. The red and the blue/white vases compete with each other. They should be two of the same kind on oposite side of the table for symmetry. Or group three containers together in one place. It all depends if you want more formal look or not.
2. Or you could substitute the red vase with a plant of a larger/bulkier lamp.
3. Or try to place the big vase (from under the table) on the top of the table and see how it looks.
4. There is nothing wrong with the exposing the vent, if it is painted in the same colour as the wall.
5. Try to remove the basket from under the white/blue urn/pottery.
6. Remove the ladder (from the 1st and 2nd location).
7. Have fun and good luck.
January 12, 2013 at 9:34PM     
PRO
i liked the two white seats!!! LOL in looking back, perhaps they were TOO white, but i really liked them. perhaps put a peice of material draped over them to un-white them a tad. something had woven with texture, in a neutral might be nice. or perhaps something with red and blue to tie the ceramics together.
just a thought.
January 13, 2013 at 4:45AM   
PRO
Creative Colour Works
I don't mind the lamp , the artwork needs more presence and also to be hung off centre to create balance over the table . This table looks a little jammed up , I would centre the art from the edge of shade to the edge of the table.
January 13, 2013 at 5:01AM   
Laura Zielonko
try to get an outlet installed behind the table so those cords don't need to be seen snaking around the corner.
January 13, 2013 at 5:54AM   
pivoines
Akso has the right idea, I would take the large ginger jar from underneath the table put it on top on the left, then ,station the blue lamp next to it a little in front of it, leave the center open , as you like the basket put it on the other side with a plant or plants to fill the shape (cacti , maybe ?) , push the table even further to the left, making room for one of your garden stool on the floor to the right. The picture is still too high and unfortunately also too small. I opt for a larger one or a large mirror , not to scare the bad karma people if it squarely faces the door use a picture if it is offset, go ahead . for the cord issue, use an extension tack it in a straight line to the baseboard and tack it all the way along to the plug and paint it the wall color, unless you get a plug added to this side which would be the best and might not be that costly. forget the ladder ,it mixes wrong styles together. keep it for a den . I think it will look lovely.have fun.
January 13, 2013 at 6:56AM   
sylviajoan
On another point, if this is a cold air return, nothing should be blocking it.
January 13, 2013 at 7:01AM   
alohadragonfly
Going to try Aksos idea but did this before I read the comments. I took the clear lamp with sea glass from another room.
January 13, 2013 at 9:36AM   
pivoines
Better but picture still too high and if you like the table there, move the pic.towards the left about 4-5" and 4" down, if you really want those garden benches then put them on their own on the left of the table.That console was not meant to be a desk , so putting seating options underneath does not work. try again. It is much better looking already.
January 13, 2013 at 11:55AM     
caricampbell
I like the new lamp!
January 13, 2013 at 12:07PM     
decoenthusiaste
The point you seem to be missing is that the art has to visually "attach" to the table and that generally means it should hang about 4-5" above it. I would move the table to the left so it is more centered on the recessed area of wall. Don't worry about the light switch or vent, just paint them to match the wall (might want to prime them first) and they'll almost disappear. Might do the same to the other box (doorbel??) on the right.
January 13, 2013 at 12:13PM     
alohadragonfly
I still have to move the artwork down. There are large holes behind it from something else that we had hung there. I will do that as soon as I have the repair items in my hand. The holes will bug me too much--more than a picture not in the right spot.

The vents and doorbell placement are annoying. Great idea to paint them. I don't know why both were placed there.

Love all the comments and ideas!
January 13, 2013 at 12:23PM   
PRO
The Creative Man
Loose the lamp. I would suggest a larger picture. Try something that has an accent of blue in the image. How about adding more asian blue and white items and make a grouping.
January 13, 2013 at 12:44PM   
PRO
Design Details Unlimited
You have too much going on with the size/shape of table
A vertical piece of art much bigger than bamboo.some books,fern no lamo
January 13, 2013 at 12:51PM   
kobley
Paint your vents the color of your wall. They will not be as noticeable.
January 13, 2013 at 1:48PM   
akso
The is something wrong with the proportions of the picture and the new lamp. The lamp is too bulky, but maybe you can work around it. I see that you like the picture. Keep it, buy buy a thick matte in Wallmark, for example, and place the picture behind it to make the picture larger. It is all about right proportions and coordinating colours and patters. Sorry, the two stools under the table should go.
January 13, 2013 at 3:14PM   
PRO
Winward Designs
Blue hydrangeas fresh or faux. http://bit.ly/WaUw1V
January 24, 2013 at 9:05PM   
PRO
Design Details Unlimited
Too much going on within one area--You really need a longer table if you want to use
garden benches in that area--less on table--lamp way out of scale--I like the idea of the
picture from akso
February 28, 2014 at 7:40AM   
PRO
Design Details Unlimited
NO
February 28, 2014 at 7:41AM