Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need a bedroom/livingroom design
shopaholic26
January 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
So here's the deal I'm having financial difficulties so I'm giving up my bedroom in my condo to a roommate but need to turn my livingroom to a bedroom/livingroom combo in a budget friendly way any ideas....?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
A murphy bed is a great solution. It is there when you need it, disappears when you don't.
January 11, 2013 at 5:45PM     
shopaholic26
thanks, I thought of that but feel that may be a permanent solution. I just need a quick set-up for 3-5 months .
January 11, 2013 at 6:09PM   
englishaccent
Think of this like a studio apartment. I would start by having your sleeping area at the far wall and corner. You cold separate the space with an open book shelf. This will still keep some of the open feeling but also add some privacy.
January 11, 2013 at 6:35PM   
shopaholic26
That sounds like a good idea, I'm sure I can find some open shelving in Ikea, I almost think I can do a curtain seperation as well...
January 11, 2013 at 6:41PM   
Manon Floreat
Both would work. I like the curtain as a divider because it's softer. Since it will act like a wall, you can place something in front of it that's functional and works with your decor.
January 11, 2013 at 6:46PM   
shopaholic26
yea since I love morrocan design I guess I can run with the curtain idea. I just thought of the fact I could possible do a livingroom in the kitchen :/ I think it is big enough to do a seating and eating area ...
January 11, 2013 at 6:55PM   
judianna20
January 11, 2013 at 7:03PM     
designideas4me
FUTON............... and ikea has those sliding panel curtains that look cool. You put the bracket on the ceiling and the panel slides to create a closed off wall of fabric.
January 11, 2013 at 7:11PM   
shopaholic26
oh cool , looks like I'm making a trip this weekend. I'm sure the bracket should be easy to install.
January 11, 2013 at 7:14PM   
Darzy
For comfort...get two twin beds. Put a square end table in the corner (with a lamp) and put the twin beds on the walls (in the corner). A fitted comforter makes it looks like a corner couch by day, but comfortable sleeping by night. Toss pillows on the "beds" will make it look cozy by day too. Here is a sample side/by side twins.

January 11, 2013 at 7:14PM     
shopaholic26
judyg... I love it too, I think it will work well. Can't wait to post pics of the finished project :)
January 11, 2013 at 7:15PM     
Darzy
@judyg...perfect set up for bedroom/living room. And, room for twol. : )
January 11, 2013 at 7:18PM     
shopaholic26
darzy, thats also a very good idea and since I like morrocan design this can definetly pull off the look especially by adding a bunch of throw pillows :)
January 11, 2013 at 7:21PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
good for you Shopah. nice when people take responsibility and get creative! Hugs to you for your roommate idea

consider a day-bed..... my first apartment had a day-bed (twin) I made it from a crate.....and covered it with a linen fabric, used a mattress on the frame.

have you looked at craigslist in ur area,
January 11, 2013 at 7:24PM   
shopaholic26
thank you :) trust me I wasn't sold on having a roommate but it was either that or losing my condo :/ I'm sure I will make it work especially with all the suggestions I'm receiving. I actually have a Cal. King bed which I will most likely have it stored in order to make this wrk.

I will check out craigslist but I find it's slim pickens in my area
January 11, 2013 at 7:29PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
hang on and hang in, dont be spending on storage, maybe swap with someone, or just use it.....realize this is not a forever situation......do you have any other piece to use....i didnt read the above
January 11, 2013 at 7:34PM   
chikachika
I like englishaccent idea. Later, you can turn the bookcases sideways and use them in different rooms.
January 11, 2013 at 7:35PM   
shopaholic26
Gary, I don't have any furniture as of yet , needless to say this weekend is a big weekend for me in the shopping area. My roommate doesn't move in till Feb. so I have some time...
January 11, 2013 at 7:48PM   
shopaholic26
yes the bookcase idea was also a good idea , I checked out some pics on this website as there are many who use bookcases as a divider
January 11, 2013 at 7:50PM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
good deal, just remember that there are loads of deals on the secondary markets so dont require yourself to spend spend spend ......not thinking there is much reason to be dividing the room. I'd use theh space as one room and keep it open,
January 11, 2013 at 7:53PM   
shopaholic26
I'm concerned should my roommate have company my bed will be completly visible ...it's a long and narrow livingroom
January 11, 2013 at 8:02PM   
designideas4me
where do you live?
January 11, 2013 at 8:07PM   
shopaholic26
Jersey City , NJ
January 11, 2013 at 8:08PM   
Darzy
You could do a "room divider". This is a bit elaborate, but how about just a couple of freestanding carved wood dividers? Cost Plus Imports....

January 11, 2013 at 8:13PM     
shopaholic26
I was thinking of reversing my bed putting the headboard as footboard, I have the morroccan headboard from west elm that will work awesome , I'm making the change tomorrow after seeing this pic it may work :) thank you
January 11, 2013 at 8:17PM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
the headboard is a fun idea, what about a folding screen....at the doorway in the event you have a guest
January 12, 2013 at 8:27AM   
nikitasmom
Check craigslist for armoires or even entertainment centers. You can add closet hardware behind the doors to hang some things.
January 12, 2013 at 9:49AM   
judianna20
Darzy, where do you find those fitted comforters? Love them. I would use them with an upholstered bed.
January 12, 2013 at 10:25AM