Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Boring kitchen corner, please help
yazfletch
January 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi Houzzers!
What suggestions donyou all have for this lovely, new kitchen yet boring corner! Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Colorado Modern Homes
I would put roman drapes up. Red would match the phone :)
January 11, 2013 at 10:26pm     
yazfletch
Thanks CMH, never thought about doing that!
January 11, 2013 at 10:46pm   
grevillea
Love that tap! Rather than clutter up your bench space by adding, what about the exterior viewed through the window? An amazing flowering fruit tree that will give you Autumn colour, spring flowers, summer fruit and shade? A bird feeder in a tree one day? Some twinkling solar LED lights to bring a bit of bling at night? The roman sounds lovely but in my house it would get splashed while washing up and be ruined pretty quick. Nice kitchen.
January 12, 2013 at 6:31am     
grevillea
Also, while a very nice light, you could consider going for something a bit more wild for your light fitting maybe?
January 12, 2013 at 6:33am     
calikym
Why not add a box window right there first? :)
January 12, 2013 at 7:44am   
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
maybe change the pendant to something colorful as well
January 12, 2013 at 8:19am     
ksublett
I'm generally not a window treatment girl, but I think what's bugging you is a lack of 'weight' at the top in this corner. While I'd never close/use the window covering a great valance mounted above the window would add weight and color. Draw inspiration of fabric from the rest of the room (or what appears to be a neighboring family room?) and keep clean lines (nothing pouffy or swaggy ... do not go 1980's on me!) maybe a something that's stretched tight (not pleated or gathered) like a fabric covered cornice box that would normally hide blinds or a shade when in the up position? I would not bother puting in the treatment unless you feel you need the privacy. Pretty kitchen :)
January 12, 2013 at 8:30am     
adifatta
Beautiful kitchen, what color are your walls if you don't mind me asking?
January 12, 2013 at 8:43am   
yazfletch
Ah yes, the light...I couldn't find exactly what I wanted so I went the cheapy and safe (but bland) route with this $25 gem. I'll have to post some pics of what I was hunting for and get your guys' feedback.
I promise not to go 80s on you, K! I do feel like the top is missing something. I've thought of adding moulding... Another idea I had was painted or vinyl writing...about drinking wine or good food good friends... I'll need to revisit a clean window tx too.
January 12, 2013 at 9:08am   
yazfletch
No problem Adi! I don't have the brand, just a swatch with notes by I DO have the name and number:
Nomadic Desert (I think we did satin) 6107. Hope that helps! :)
January 12, 2013 at 9:12am   
triciainiowa
Rectangular light fixture that spans the sink and counter would bring some balance.
January 12, 2013 at 9:17am     
trasgorshek
Red or patterned roman blinds would look beautiful then I would just add a simple tall urn with white branches in the corner to give height. Looks great, beautiful bones.
January 12, 2013 at 9:29am     
ksublett
Yaz, you could do it with millwork to match your cabinetry, here's what I did (again, I'm not a window treatment fan and I have no privacy issues), mine is not in a corner but I've done this in a corner wrap situation and it works well there too... no judgements on my dirty windows! figured it's easier to see than describe :)
January 12, 2013 at 10:49am     
PRO
The Drapery Company
I agree with valances. Mount them 4-5 inches down from the ceiling. The space calls for some pop, and so a fabric with a pattern would be best. if you are a tailored girl, then go with boxpleat valances, if you like a little more layers, go with a Pate-meadows design. www.patemeadows.com. these should run you about $800 to $1200.

Please take a look at our website for another option www.designityourselfvalances.com. It's easy to do and easiest to install.

Happy Designing!
January 12, 2013 at 11:25am     
PRO
LM Designers
How about a painted message above the window in the same red as the phone. Or one of the rub on sayings. It will be unexpected and can be serious or fun.
January 12, 2013 at 12:18pm     
PRO
JMittman Designs
Along the lines of the millwork, a fabric cornice would look great. Have it mounted all the way up, wall to wall, and the drop should just cover the tops of the window frame.
January 12, 2013 at 4:20pm     
TanCalGal
January 12, 2013 at 8:59pm     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I definitely would not recommend a Roman Shade in those windows because they are just above your kitchen sink and you run the risk of splash up on the fabric. I would suggest going with a 2'' Fauxwood blinds in that window and if you really like the roman look i would put a Roman Style Valance above the blind.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto.html
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=roman+valance&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.b2I&biw=1920&bih=936&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=4EvzUL3GIcOO2wXZwoGoBw
January 13, 2013 at 4:06pm     
akso
Simple roman shades covering the TOP corner in red, orange and green (matching the green apples :). The colours will complement the wall colour. The shades are just for decoration, warmth and interest. They should not cover the entire window.
January 13, 2013 at 4:17pm