Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bath refresh
lucykr
January 11, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Will appreciate ideas how to refresh/decorate this bathroom...so it has some style to it. What style of mirror frame and shape will work? What style of "soap bottles"? Should I change faucet and hardware from chrome to bronze? Opposite wall is empty. Should I add wall décor?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
Hello- If I were you , the first thing I would do would be to take down the shower curtain and put in a clear glass panel or similar I'd also keep the chrome
3 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 1:54AM
charleee
I think the mirror is ok, the vanity is beautiful. Annette is right, the shower curtain is dominating the room. If you can, replace it with a clear glass panel. If not, perhaps a curtain in white hemmed so it just grazes the top of the tub, with a water proof liner inside. Also, the vase on the top of the toilet is making me nervous! It looks like it could topple at any time.
3 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:19AM
calikym
I'm not sure why the black toilet top was added but it really sticks out. I would stick with a 1 color toilet so it is not noticed. I really like your bathroom though and agree with allow the comments made before mine. Remove vase from tank, leave the chrome fixture, the mirror looks great, but change the shower curtain to glass if you have more of that gorgeous tile surrounding it.
2 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:10AM
lucykr
Toilettop is the same color mahogany as vanity, replace with white?
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 11:54AM
patriciarhall
yes, replace the toilettop with a white one. a clear shower curtain could still be patterened with "glass" squares and then add chrome soap bottles and accessories. Pretty tile and love the wicker baskets under the nice lavatory! Any artwork added on the wall opposite the mirror will reflect in the mirror, so muted colors will work best.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 12:15PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The only thing that is really wrong is that awful toilet seat (get a white one) and the shower curtain. If you can't do glass a nice clear with a cool pattern would suffice.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 12:19PM
PRO
LM Designers
Replace with white. That is one fixture that you don't want to draw attention to. Nice bathroom. Keep the chrome.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 12:41PM
lucykr
That toilet top is actually mahogany the same as vanity...but I got it, it has to go:)))
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 12:43PM
carolannr
Bye, bye shower curtain and toilet seat. White cotton curtain and white seat needed. Chrome faucet is fine on basin. So is mirror. Soap and lotion could also be in chrome dispensers. The vase on tank should go before it falls tho I think if you could find something in the same vein to put on the wall opposite and reflect in the mirror would add all the decorative touch you need. Love the tile work.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 12:58PM
jansseninteriors
Your bathroom is actually quite beautiful. A white toilet seat, simple white fabric shower curtain (not plastic), get rid of the vase on toilet tank, ZERO soap bottles & no clutter, white towels. This is very much a place for less-is-more. With those simplifying steps (and about $35) all of the fixtures are beautiful, and the wall tile is plenty of decoration.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 1:11PM
lucykr
Your advices are AWESOME! I just realized that you did not see the lights, so including 2 more pictures. Give me few days to get white toilet seat and curtains, and white towels. Then I will upload the result for you to assess. Also, I still have to keep Shampoo and soap in the shower... How do you make them to match the whole style or at least not to catch so much attention? Love your advices! Thank you again!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 2:41PM
lucykr
I am getting : white curtains (will try different length), white towels, white seat, and will remove the vase.
Here is one more thing bothering me in this mirror area - the difference in textures: shiny mirror and rough wall close to it. It is a stained cement on the wall behind the mirror. It is hard to see on my picture. And it looks like it is still missing something....I was thinking that framed mirror could help, since frame would add more interest and smooth the transition in textures...Now, when you see the whole wall and know that there is a cement on the wall, please tell me should I just leave this part the way it is? Another way I see is replace cement with drywall and paint the wall...
The same kind of issue on the opposite wall : shiny hooks on a rough cement...But may be it is bothering only me. Please, let me know!
0 Likes   January 12, 2013 at 3:25PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi lucykr & everyone!

I agree w/the current advice & your decisions - white curtains, white seat, remove the vase. I like the mirror but I would change the light. If you want to change the mirror, you could do a mirror + sconces beside it. As for the walls, I vote for drywall & paint if it is w/in your budget.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 3:46PM
jansseninteriors
Shower curtains come in standard lengths. It looks as though your arc curtain rod was installed through ceramic tile, so not easily raised. A white curtain will look fine at the height of your rod, and looks best left open (so curtain doesn't encroach into the space). I suggested white because it matches the sink, toilet and tub porcelain.

For necessary soaps and shampoos you can buy products that come in attractive containers, or a big fancy bar of oatmeal soap (suitable for washing hands and face at sink) or a slab of handmade soap. There isn't much space for lots of product displays. The bottles that you fill yourself are confusing, especially to guests. Soap and shampoo and hand lotion all look the same in those bottles. I buy the organic shampoos, etc. or the Gilchrist & Soames spa products (you can search online to find them). Gilchrist & Soames are all FABULOUS products and attractive, smell great, and are very much worth the cost. Marshall's and Home Goods usually have a nice selection of luxury soaps and shampoos at discounted prices.

What you are calling "cement" is actually just the texture of the wall (or possibly a faux venetian plaster). You don't need new drywall to change the texture (which I can't see in the photos).

I would like to suggest that you make the simple changes first, and see how you feel about it. If you don't like the white things, you can return them and try cream or tan to blend with the walls. In a small bathroom "less is more", but that doesn't mean that there is only one way to accomplish that. Your personal taste and style preferences are far more important than anybody else's opinion or suggestions. If you just hate that mirror and light fixture, then by all means, try something else.
1 Like   January 12, 2013 at 11:14PM
lucykr
Good Evening jansseninteriors,
Everything you are saying makes sense! I have changed a toilet top already and removed curtain and vase. I totally see how white will refresh it!!! We did that bathroom 5 years ago. It was our first project in renovating old ranch style house. We did not have neither interior design experience, nor extra money. That is an actual cement on the wall, not a plaster or grout. My husband saw it somewhere and wanted to try... It also cracked in few places. Thank you again for helping me to see what I did not see. I will post a picture, and will be looking for more of your advices as I move to the other room - bedroom & master bath:))
1 Like   January 13, 2013 at 12:54AM
lucykr
Also, love your advice about fancy bottles and handmade soap!
0 Likes   January 13, 2013 at 1:03AM