powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help on exterior. Shutters/Metal Roof/Window trim/shakes?/board and batten?
b .
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am designing and building a new home and I know what I want inside, but I need help on the outside. The design elements that are in style in my neighborhood/area are stone, cedar shake siding, board and batten siding, metal porch roofs, and generally just lots of different types of exterior material on each home. I have attached a blueprint drawing of my home and was hoping to get some feedback. My first question: is the large gable in the center part of the house even necessary or would the house look too plain without it? Another thing I am struggling with is if I should have white window trim in addition to the shutters. If so, do the shutters go on top of the window trim or should I just have trim on the top and bottom of the windows? Last couple questions - where should I put stone? vinyl cedar shakes? board/batten siding? Thanks in advance for any input.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Scott's Creative Home
The large gable does not seem necessary, but seems to be there for balance. If you have a eye catching element, balance is not always necessary. White on homes as trim can detract from the over all color scheme. This bright element catches the eye. Shutters in history were used to cover and protect the glass and privacy of the window. They were made to mount both over the full window and trim or just the glass. Consider adding architectural elements that are not typical in your neighborhood, such as fabric awnings, large lighting on your porch columns or oversized corner and gable banding boards.
January 12, 2013 at 6:55am     
PRO
Dytecture
Hi, the center gable looks fine, but I am troubled by how the 2 gable roof on either side meets the second storey. There might be too much going on if you put all three stone, cedar shakes and horizontal siding.
January 12, 2013 at 7:09am   
PRO
Eagledzines
There are some nice architectural details at the top of the three gables. It looks like there is a shed roof coming off the second story that the gables may valley into. However, I agree with Dytecture about the concern that it may busy trying to use all three materials, especially if you have various paint colors to highlight the nice architectural details and shutters since there are a lot of windows, along with the trim and the rest of the exterior, . Is there a garage that comes in on the left with doors on the end? Are they visible from the road? There may be additional color on those doors if so. Some tall plantings could do wonders and will give additional eye appeal. A low rock wall going to the front door is another element to consider. It's the total picture that will help you decide.
January 12, 2013 at 7:27am     
shaser
I think it looks great! The only thing I'm going to suggest is don't go with white board and batten shutters. I'd either go with a brighter red, green, or blue color. Or even better, consider staining them! I did a job that used these board and batten shutters from www.exteriorsolutions.com. Use the s holdbacks to add a great architectural element.
January 12, 2013 at 1:01pm   
b .
Thank you all for your responses. I have read everyone's response multiple times and really appreciate all of the feedback. There are a couple garage doors on the left side and they will be white doors.
Dytecture, I am posting a picture of the roof plan so you can see it. You have me concerned about the roof. Can you look at the drawing of the roof and let me know if you see issues? Are you concerned about how it will look or how it will function (drainage from rainstorms) or both?

In case anyone is wondering, I am thinking about doing a tan siding like Savannah Wicker or Natural Clay (both Certainteed vinyl sidings).
January 13, 2013 at 10:44am