Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kids bathroom
laurabarajas
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Wondering if the " under the sea" theme for the kids bathroom is as cheesy as it comes? My kids are girl(9)&boy(15). I've changed my mind a couple times about their bathroom. They have a jack and Jill style. We live in a typical Phoenix track home. I've collected a few "sea" items that I'm not attached to. They can go if needed. Our home is modern. Things that drive my crazy about this bathroom: the brass hardware, the triangle medicine cabinets, the towels and clothes that pile up by the shower (really? 2 kids but a pile of 5-6 towels???) I need to make tidiness easy for them. They have hampers in their rooms I'm wondering if a hamper in the bathroom would help? There is a blank wall by shower. Oh and the sliding shower door just came of its hinge. Fix or remove? Would it open up the room with it gone? Also this is kids bathroom upstairs so I don't want to spend a ton. We have the kitchen and office etc to redo also. I'm not against painting the cabinets I've heard of ppl doing that and it looks nice, I also love ikea for kids stuff. I would be doing a lot my self so anything to intimidating or without guidance may be a turn off. Walls need paint, please help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
laurabarajas
Here are some more pictures and some if the things I've collected. The shark I thought would be good over the door from the sink area to toilet area?
January 12, 2013 at 7:11AM   
laurabarajas
Shark
January 12, 2013 at 7:12AM   
laurabarajas
A cpl more
January 12, 2013 at 7:19AM   
Carmen Collins
With all due respect your "Under the Sea" concept may be a little young for the 15 year old? However , a nautical theme would be a great compromise. I would remove the glass shower doors and purchase a beautiful nautical themed shower curtain. Definitely paint the cabinets either a white or nautical blue. You can have fun with the hardware to correspond with the theme. Take a colour from the shower curtain you purchase and paint the walls that colour. Hopefully, the attached pictures will help you. Have fun!
January 12, 2013 at 8:00AM     
PRO
Jonathan Hress Design
Ben Moore Harbour Fog is a nice soft blue paint color. Good luck.
January 12, 2013 at 8:04AM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'd love to see you paint stripes on the walls such as you see below, and choose one of the stripe colors to paint the vanity. Change all hardware to chrome.

Your kids may learn to hang up their towels if you give them a row of coat hooks mounted on a board on that wall by the shower. I would prefer a clean, simple look for their bathroom, getting rid of as much stuff on the countertop as possible.

I'd get rid of the offending medicine cabinets and install new ones at each end of the counter. The sliding shower doors can be replaced by a glass screen such as shown below.
Hamptons Show house
Den Bath Beachy cottage style bathroom
January 12, 2013 at 8:46AM     
laurabarajas
Love the stripes! Would they be better in the sink area or shower area or both, I see a circle mirror over the toilet if the stripes where to into the shower toilet room? Could I keep my green floor rugs?
January 12, 2013 at 8:57AM   
laurabarajas
And as u can see from previous pic, hooks have been purchased. I also want to take the mirror down replace with frames mirror, is that easy or challenging?
January 12, 2013 at 8:59AM   
laurabarajas
How do I share an idea book? I just browsed and found a couple ideas
January 12, 2013 at 9:00AM   
PRO
It would be nice to have the stripes in both areas. You can use the green floor rugs. Just select a lighter shade of the rug color for one of the stripe colors. Framed mirrors would be nice. I would call a mirror company to have the old mirror removed. The same company can give you a quote on the glass shower screen. It may be better to place the circle mirror above the hooks instead of over the toilet.
January 12, 2013 at 9:07AM   
laurabarajas
I guess u don't want to stare at yourself while using the toilet? Okay fish and shark are gone.
January 12, 2013 at 9:10AM   
laurabarajas
The cabinets, paint? Color? Or remove and replace the fronts of the doors. I've been watching a lot of DIY channel. But then I'm worried about counter top matching?
January 12, 2013 at 9:12AM   
PRO
Look closely at the inspiration photo with the stripes. There is the blue background color and then three stripe colors and the stripes are of varying sizes. I would select the color from the narrowest stripe for the vanity color. Of course your stripes will not be exactly the colors shown. You are going to match one of them to a lighter shade of your rug. So either take your rug to the paint store to look at samples or bring home lots of samples from the paint store. The second option seems easier.

If you go to a Sherwin-Williams paint store, and you tell us what color matches your rug, we can then probably help you select the other paint colors.
January 12, 2013 at 9:19AM   
laurabarajas
Okay so here or the paint samples. Which ones? The 2 I think match are single so I'm wonder which is the light shade of that color. Opinions please
January 15, 2013 at 1:02PM   
laurabarajas
Ha, looks like I'm in a green screen!
January 15, 2013 at 1:04PM     
PRO
What are the colors shown on the one your finger is pointing toward? The strips do not look like Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore paint strips to me. What brand are they?
January 15, 2013 at 5:12PM   
PRO
Go Nautical Collections
Following is the source for nautical decor items http://gonautical.com/nautical-decor-c-2.html
January 18, 2013 at 8:05AM   
laurabarajas
The paint in behr, i stopped by Home Depot ony way home in day, we don't hv a Sherwin that close.
January 18, 2013 at 9:56AM   
sealedesign
I did the same as you with collecting things first. Though you might not use most of them, it did give you inspiration and you found colors. I'd really have fun with this and change it when the kids are older still. It's a small space and the kids will remember it forever.
January 18, 2013 at 10:10AM   
Mindy Morales
I looked at that beautiful green sample photo above and thought "gulp"....I once rented a house with a positively lovely green bath room. The color made everyone, me included, look ghastly in the mirror....just sayin', be careful with too much green, especially in a bath room where someone will be applying makeup!
January 18, 2013 at 10:11AM   
PRO
I'm sorry but I do not have a Behr paint deck so cannot comment on Behr colors.
January 18, 2013 at 10:23AM   
Carmen Collins
Sorry, but I think stripes in any of those green shades would be too loud and frankly, just unattractive.
January 18, 2013 at 11:22AM