Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Floor plan help.
guardwife
January 12, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are working with a local designer on a new home build. Overall, I like the plan. However, I have some ideas for changes. For example, I plan on moving the master bath door/master WIC doors so that the vanities are together and a linen closet can be added. I also think that there is too much wasted space between the hall and entry to the master bedrom which I am trying to figure out how to shift things to eliminate some waste space. I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas on how to improve the overall floor plan. Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
It's difficult to read the plan since it is rather small. My only comment is that the master bath seems to have a lot of wasted space in the middle, plus a humongous shower but small vanities.
January 12, 2013 at 7:49AM   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I don't understand why you wouldn't be working closely with your designer. That person will know so much more about the project and will have gotten to know you and your requirements more than we would be able to do here.
January 12, 2013 at 7:50AM     
PRO
I can understand wanting another opinion since she has probably already discussed this with the architect and is still unsure. But plan remains too small to see properly.
January 12, 2013 at 8:12AM   
guardwife
I am attaching a larger image. Thank you for your thoughts.
January 12, 2013 at 8:50AM   
PRO
Your master bedroom doesn't seem to have enough windows. I would ask your architect to rework the whole master bedroom/bath/closet area.
January 12, 2013 at 8:58AM     
nmbound
We are working on ours too my question to you is why do you have steps down to the door in the garage to Mud room along and dangerous to carry grocery to kitchen. We have done over 200 plans over the last few years and always find a way to improve and we think we have found it, Good luck on your build.
January 12, 2013 at 9:03AM   
guardwife
Carolyn, I agree with your suggestion. We did request floor to ceiling windows for the entire master bedroom wall. We also requested larger windows in the nook. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment.
January 12, 2013 at 9:11AM   
PRO
If your architect is not responding to your requests it may be time for a serious conversation with him/her.
January 12, 2013 at 9:13AM     
architectrunnerguy
I noticed too that the MBR windows would likely have the "hole in the wall" feel. Same thing with the windows in the great room. I'd get the fireplace over to the wall on the right and blow that whole rear wall of the great room wide open so it realtes strongly to that covered patio.

One thing I like to keep in mind is to not stop designing at the exterior walls (like it appears your house does) stop desinging at the property line. This has come up before and I put some examples in an Ideabook if you don't understand.
January 12, 2013 at 9:25AM     
guardwife
Architectrunnerguy- thank you for commenting. We have been debating the following for the great room. (1) as shown with windows beside and above the fireplace; although hard to tell on the plan. Or (2) as you suggested with back wall all windows with the fireplace on the interior wall. We went with option (1) in the plan since I am not a fan of a placing the TV over the fireplace. I will review your idea book regarding the 'designing at the exterior walls'. I appreciate your suggestions.
January 12, 2013 at 9:43AM   
architectrunnerguy
Looks like there's plenty of room along that right wall for a fireplace and a TV. Some thought is going to have to be put into the wall to tie everything together but it could be cool.

Also, the nook has the "whole in the wall" mentality too. We have to have something in the corners to hold up the house up but you want the windows to occupy as much wall as possible. You want a "wall of windows" not a "wall with holes in it".

Finally, I like the private study. So private there's no way to enter it!!...Just kidding, a likely oversight.
January 12, 2013 at 10:11AM     
guardwife
Architectrunnerguy- thanks for catching the no door to the office. Too funny! I didn't even notice it was missing.
January 12, 2013 at 11:09AM     
PRO
Dytecture
Can the garage be reduced in size ? I also see lots of 'wasted' space there, and if you are open to the idea of shifting some walls to make the Master Bedroom more usable with less feeling of being in a hallway.
January 12, 2013 at 11:19AM   
guardwife
Dytecture- yes, we are open to reducing that garage size. And YES I am very open to shifting walls in the master bedroom. Please share your ideas. THank you!
January 12, 2013 at 11:53AM   
architectrunnerguy
Guardwife: "yes, we are open to reducing that garage size. And YES I am very open to shifting walls in the master bedroom. Please share your ideas".

Is your designer looking at any of this stuff?? It appears there's a MAJOR dissconnect here. And the drawings you posted are permit/construction docs. Drawings normally developed after all but the most minor design changes. What Dytecture asked about isn't minor. What's goin' on here?
January 12, 2013 at 12:08PM   
guardwife
We haven't formalized the plans. The designer took our ideas and drafted an initial plan. we provided a set of comments which he incorporated only some of those comments to the draft that I posted to this forum. These are not permit/construction plans. The designer is aware of my concerns about the layout of the master bedroom/closet/bath. We are to meet with him in the next week or two with all of our comments on this draft. I am requesting suggestions on how to improve the plan before I meet with him again. Since plans are not finalized, I am very open to moving walls, reducing sizes, adding larger windows, etc.
January 12, 2013 at 12:23PM   
architectrunnerguy
The guy's got everything dimensioned up to the point of delineating EXACT door and window sizes. Doesn't look like a draft to me. I'm thinkin' he's thinkin' "final" and you're thinkin' "draft". Here's an example of a "draft" when we're still deciding wall locations. Before he does another "draft" be sure you all are all on the same page.
January 12, 2013 at 12:40PM   
grevillea
the cars, designed to be all weather, have the biggest space in the house. I guess you must be really into cars?
January 12, 2013 at 1:35PM   
guardwife
Architectrunnerguy- thank you for your comments. There must be different working styles for different designers (I wasn't provided drafts such as your renderings). The designer has provided 2 drafts so far. The very first draft that the designer sent us also included all of the dimensional details as well. We are to review this second draft and bring all comments to our next appointment. Thus, I posted to this forum for ideas before our next meeting. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments!
January 12, 2013 at 1:38PM   
swimbikepuke
Some random things I noticed:

You don't have a door into the office.

I think the door placement for the double part of the garage should be on the other side so that you only have one driveway. This will also give you a bigger front yard. I also agree that that garage wastes a ton of space and that you could make it smaller and make the master larger if you want to keep the same foot print.

I agree that the whole master area needs to be completely reworked. Your laundry room seems VERY large and you could use some of that space to expand the bedroom. I would also avoid a situation where you have to walk through the bathroom to get to the closet. The people I know who have that set up really don't like it.

If I were you, I'd move the bedroom portion of the master area to the corner and add some more windows to solve the not-enough-windows problem. I'd them put the bathroom against the kitchen wall, which would be more efficient from a plumbing perspective and keep the closet roughly where it is. I'd make the laundry room smaller and make the master close longer, but more narrow rather than so square.

You have an area off of the kitchen labeled "Nook" but it's actually quite large so not really a nook. However, I notice you don't have any designated dining space so perhaps this is it? If so, I would label it dining area and confirm that the dimensions would work for your entertaining needs (i.e. table with leaf, china hutch, extra chairs).
January 12, 2013 at 2:06PM   
PRO
In our master bath, we have his and hers closets and love having it that way. No need tramping back and forth from bathroom to bedroom for clothes. Everything is where you need it. Start out clean and naked. Get dressed. Exit. Works for me.
January 12, 2013 at 2:14PM   
PRO
J.K. Renders
If you would like some renderings to clarify design elements and compare materials and ideas, we provide the photo-realistic images in a short amount of time, helping homeowners and designers. Attached are two computer renderings as examples.
January 14, 2013 at 10:20PM   
PRO
Are you making any progress with the plan?
January 15, 2013 at 5:22PM